Pete Best sacked because of his mom?

Started by Nada Surf, Sep 27, 2011, 10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nada Surf

Quote from: Gary910 on Jan 05, 2012, 01:34 PM
Pete Best was sacked because he did not fit with the band's image. Pete was/is a loner and he was not part of "the gang".

Ringo fit. He was well liked by George, Paul and John, so it became an easy decision.

I think Pete is a good guy and he has a dignity about him these days.
You repeated that EXACTLY the way George, Paul and John wanted you to repeat it.

BeatlesAtTheirBest

To me, it isn't that they replaced Pete, but how they replaced him and how they treated Pete and the Best family after 3 years of significant, loyal service.  3 years at The Casbah (2 with Pete in the band) where they helped The Beatles to go from a bum band nobody wanted into the most popular band in 2 different cities in 2 different countries with 2 different record deals in 2 different countries.

Then kicked to the curb like yersterday's trash.  Not so much as even a kind word.

The Beatles (1960-1970) - John, Stu, Paul, George, Pete & Ringo

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

Nada Surf

After listening to the DECCA tapes, the difference in Best and Ringo were quite glaring, in my opinion..I always felt Ringo had the perfect beat...
But you would have thought the other three would have told Pete how they wanted the drums and maybe they did at times..I don't think any of them had a problem with him as they did with, say, Tommy Moore...
In Spitz's book, he asserted that Best witnessed John/Paul/George's tiff with Ken Brown over 75 cents and Mona Best's insistence that Brown be paid even though he had to sit out with the flu, which the three Quarry Men walked out of the Casbah gig over. Spitz said Best developed a bit of a grudge against the three and it led to the indifference toward the three that eventually got him booted out and replaced with Ringo in 62.
There are probably more important things to wonder about, but, to me, this stuff in interesting..LOL.

nimrod

Quote from: Nada Surf on Jan 06, 2012, 01:11 PM

In Spitz's book, he asserted that Best witnessed John/Paul/George's tiff with Ken Brown over 75 cents and Mona Best's insistence that Brown be paid even though he had to sit out with the flu, which the three Quarry Men walked out of the Casbah gig over. Spitz said Best developed a bit of a grudge against the three and it led to the indifference toward the three that eventually got him booted out and replaced with Ringo in 62.
There are probably more important things to wonder about, but, to me, this stuff in interesting..LOL.

Id take these books with a pinch of salt mate, its only someones opinions, as someone said (cant remember who) to be fair theres always 3 versions of the truth, yours, mine and the absolute truth

Nada Surf

Quote from: nimrod on Jan 06, 2012, 05:11 PM
Id take these books with a pinch of salt mate, its only someones opinions, as someone said (cant remember who) to be fair theres always 3 versions of the truth, yours, mine and the absolute truth
These are biographies and should not be opinion...In this sample, I think Best was interviewed for the book. So, Best would have been lying here. Have you read any Beatle books?

nimrod

Quote from: Nada Surf on Jan 06, 2012, 07:26 PM
These are biographies and should not be opinion...In this sample, I think Best was interviewed for the book. So, Best would have been lying here. Have you read any Beatle books?

???

whether Ive 'read any Beatle books' is beside the point...

these hundreds of Beatle books are peoples versions of what happened forty odd years ago

mostly they are by people who had some sort of relationship with the Beatles and want to cash in and make a pile of $$$, they make even more money if they can come up with a new handle on things...

Its up to you if you want to take them as fact.

Nada Surf

Quote from: nimrod on Jan 06, 2012, 07:52 PM
???

whether Ive 'read any Beatle books' is beside the point...

these hundreds of Beatle books are peoples versions of what happened forty odd years ago

mostly they are by people who had some sort of relationship with the Beatles and want to cash in and make a pile of $$$, they make even more money if they can come up with a new handle on things...

Its up to you if you want to take them as fact.
Really? Which ones should we all stay away from? Which ones should we read? Which have you read?

nimrod

Quote from: Nada Surf on Jan 06, 2012, 09:35 PM
Really?

yes !!

and Im really surprised this has never occurred to you before  ha2ha

Nada Surf

Quote from: nimrod on Jan 06, 2012, 09:49 PM
yes !!

and Im really surprised this has never occurred to you before  ha2ha
So, let's be like you and not read ANYTHING or believe ANYONE? There are ways to believe the ones to believe and not believe others. I don't think I want it your way.

nimrod

Quote from: Nada Surf on Jan 07, 2012, 11:59 AM
So, let's be like you and not read ANYTHING or believe ANYONE? There are ways to believe the ones to believe and not believe others. I don't think I want it your way.

your missing my point nada surf

Im not saying dont read books (Ive read plenty of Beatle books) Im saying dont take them as gospel truth, theyre just someones version of events, they may be wholly true or partly true, we'll never know.

Nada Surf

Quote from: nimrod on Jan 07, 2012, 04:10 PM
your missing my point nada surf

Im not saying dont read books (Ive read plenty of Beatle books) Im saying dont take them as gospel truth, theyre just someones version of events, they may be wholly true or partly true, we'll never know.
Nimmer...this is why you read SEVERAL books...You get DIFFERENT takes on events and you can draw YOUR OWN opinions on what you think is fact and what isn't...The reason I entered this Pete Best/mom thread, is there are several opinions and takes on his ousting and I was hoping to get several opinions on what they think happened....I honestly think he was a victim of a nasty smear by the Beatles themselves that continues on today...And I also believe he was ousted because he was too popular for John and Paul.

Hello Goodbye

Quote from: Nada Surf on Jan 09, 2012, 11:02 AM
And I also believe he was ousted because he was too popular for John and Paul.

And there are theories that it was George Martin's idea to replace Pete Best with a better drummer.  And I've seen all the principals in the affair quoted as saying something like "I had nothing to do with it.  It was all (fill in the name)'s idea.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

Anyway, I feel that Pete Best played OK on Love Me Do.  Sure he changed tempos but I'm sure they peformed it that way several times before.  To me it adds a litle life to the song.  If he were asked to play it like a metronome, he could have done so easily.

I like how Pete Best played on Besame Mucho too...

The Beatles - Besame Mucho (Decca) (2011 Remaster)

I can stay till it's time to go

Nada Surf

Quote from: Hello Goodbye on Jan 09, 2012, 07:53 PM
And there are theories that it was George Martin's idea to replace Pete Best with a better drummer.  And I've seen all the principals in the affair quoted as saying something like "I had nothing to do with it.  It was all (fill in the name)'s idea.
John, Paul and George used Martin as an excuse, don't you think?

BeatlesAtTheirBest

Quote from: Nada Surf on Jan 09, 2012, 11:02 AM
The reason I entered this Pete Best/mom thread, is there are several opinions and takes on his ousting and I was hoping to get several opinions on what they think happened....I honestly think he was a victim of a nasty smear by the Beatles themselves that continues on today.
Watch this.The Beatles at their Best (Original Trailer)
The Beatles (1960-1970) - John, Stu, Paul, George, Pete & Ringo

www.TheUltimateTrip.net