Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: should beatles tracks appear on V/A compilations  (Read 4324 times)

should beatles tracks appear on V/A compilations
« on: October 30, 2008, 11:03:09 AM »

should they be on Various artists compilations 60's hits "1965 hot hits" or budget compilations -what do you think?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

Re: should beatles tracks appear on V/A compilations
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:08:40 AM »

I don't see what anyone could possibly have against it. The reason you don't often see it is because it costs too much, which is why you often hear cover versions in films and TV.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 04:21:03 PM »

As a strict constructionalist, I think we should not be reinterpreting what the Beatles wanted, rather we should only go with the canon as originally released. It's time to stop these people from making decisions that affect US by putting their own biased spin on these things. How can we get these people sent away to stop their abuse of power?

Signed, Sarah

P.S. What is a V/A compilation?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 04:44:01 PM »

Quote from: 568
As a strict constructionalist, I think we should not be reinterpreting what the Beatles wanted, rather we should only go with the canon as originally released. It's time to stop these people from making decisions that affect US by putting their own biased spin on these things. How can we get these people sent away to stop their abuse of power?

Signed, Sarah

P.S. What is a V/A compilation?
Is That a Palin parody/quote? politaical! and im british!

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »

the rolling stone's don't do it either, to be fair. it's very rare that you see one of their songs appear on a sixties compilation.
the only reason that the beatles could have to do it would be to make some extra money. but they've got a load of far easier ways to make a sackful of money if they wanted.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 03:07:38 AM »

Well, the problem with most compilations is that they are made up of songs from groups that have a scarce amount of hits. The Beatles and the Stones could fill a an album worth of hits by themselves. Really no need to contribute to compilation albums unless they wanted some extra cash.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 09:23:12 AM »

When i've bought a 60's compilation it's always odd not to see The Beatles on it , it's like there is a musical aparthied ?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 01:35:40 PM »

Quote from: 971
When i've bought a 60's compilation it's always odd not to see The Beatles on it , it's like there is a musical aparthied ?

I suspect it's because the compilers either can't get permission to put a Beatles song on or because the cost of obtaining a license to do so is too high. I'm not really sure how all that works, though.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 04:37:10 AM »

I'd love to see an album made entirely of the best tracks from prolific artists of the sixties, limiting to one track per artist. I think it would be interesting to see which songs would make the cut.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 01:40:20 PM »

For the Beatles I think it would be between "A Day In The Life" and "Hey Jude".  I'm not sure about bands like the Stones or the Who though.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 08:01:59 PM »

Quote from: 218
I'd love to see an album made entirely of the best tracks from prolific artists of the sixties, limiting to one track per artist. I think it would be interesting to see which songs would make the cut.

Fancy a go?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 10:04:09 PM »

Quote from: 63
Fancy a go?

Bobber: please see:

Forum Rule #5b: "Please keep solicitations of a personal nature limited to the PM utility."

Thank you -

;)

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

ShesCominDownFastYesSheIs

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 08:10:30 PM »

I once saw a commercial for a psychedelic 60's compilation (Jefferson Airplane, Donovan, etc) and thought that Penny Lane would have fit perfect
It's great...it sold...it's the bloody Beatles' White Album, shut up

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 09:33:31 PM »

Quote from: 63

Fancy a go?

Sounds intriguing..

I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 09:52:05 PM »

^^^^^^Not, nada.............the Beatles are to their "own domain".  No one else can compete with "perfection"....wouldn't do any good at all by having a Beatles' song on one of "those" albums.........

retrocool73

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 12:23:04 AM »

Quote from: 971

You won't find any Beatles, Stones... or Dave Clark Five

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 07:33:26 AM »

I think I would be okay with seeing the Beatles on a good V/A compilation, just as long as it's not advertised by an overly long and cheesy infomercial.

Bobber

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 08:09:50 AM »

Sounds intriguing..

It does, doesn't it?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 12:48:31 PM »

Quote from: 1620
I think I would be okay with seeing the Beatles on a good V/A compilation, just as long as it's not advertised by an overly long and cheesy infomercial.

That's the thing about compilations, really: most of them have a thrown together, made for Walmart feel to them which makes you feel embarrassed for the guys on the album. (Remember K-Tel?) On the other hand, an intelligently chosen compilation, grouped around some central theme, could do something to put The Beatles in a broader musical context. Worth trying.  :)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »

Quote from: 1161
On the other hand, an intelligently chosen compilation, grouped around some central theme, could do something to put The Beatles in a broader musical context. Worth trying.  :)

Yes, exactly.

I've long had mixed feelings about V/A's.  I do think that it would be embarrassing for artists to be tossed in together on poorly compiled albums, plus the crappy advertising for a lot of these V/A compilations just make me cringe.  (Like using an ex-Brady Bunch cast member with bad 60's clothes for infomercials.)

On the other hand, as a longtime Beatle lover, I always feel slightly indignant that the Beatles are often left out of these compilations.  I realize that there may be issues like getting permission to use their music or expensive copyright fees, but...the Beatles were one of the biggest and most important bands of the 1960's.  So it just seems odd that their music is omitted; it just makes me feel like these compilations are quite incomplete.  (Sort of like opening a history book and finding some pages torn out, you know?)

Plus, having a good V/A with the Beatles might be an excellent way to turn on new listeners to their music. ;)

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 89 queries.