Beatles' lack of formal music education: Help or hindrance?

Started by Normandie, Oct 07, 2021, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nimrod

Quote from: Moogmodule on Oct 14, 2021, 01:40 AM
No wonder singers are the lowest on the musician pecking order  ha2ha

Are you sure ?
What do you call a guy who like's to hang out with musicians ?

A drummer  ha2ha

Quote from: Normandie on Mar 15, 2022, 04:53 PM

This is a little off topic. In an ocean liner book I'm reading the author mentions how a passenger on the Zeeland wrote down the music for the bugle notes that were played to alert first-class passengers to begin dressing for dinner. (In Cameron's film the Molly Brown character comments "Why do they always announce dinner like it's a damn calvary charge?" Other Titanic movies have some version of the same line.)

Anyway, more to the point: Apparently this was able to write down the score simply on hearing the notes. I could never in a million years do this, myself, but with so many musicians on here I'm sure one of you could. And it reminded me of the Beatles and the topic of formal music education.

I "think" I could do that  ;D

After watching Get Back and Paul trying to get his ideas across to the other guys, maybe it would've been useful to be able to just give them a piece of manuscript with some dots on it. Saved a lot of time !!

Miles Davis did this on the classic track from the greatest Jazz LP.
The 4 guys came to the studio to record Miles new album, he gave them sheets of dots, they played it with the tape rolling and that went on the album, track is called "So What" it's iconic and will probably be forever. Jazz lovers have voted it the greatest Jazz track of all time.

https://youtu.be/ylXk1LBvIqU

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

Quote from: nimrod on Mar 16, 2022, 07:29 PM

A drummer  ha2ha

ha2ha

Miles Davis did this on the classic track from the greatest Jazz LP.
The 4 guys came to the studio to record Miles new album, he gave them sheets of dots, they played it with the tape rolling and that went on the album, track is called "So What" it's iconic and will probably be forever. Jazz lovers have voted it the greatest Jazz track of all time.

Interesting; I was not aware of that!

Moogmodule

Are you sure ?

A drummer  ha2ha

ha2ha

Moogmodule

Quote from: Tamara on Mar 16, 2022, 07:26 AM
Beethoven could write sheet music while he was deaf.

He was pretty good that Beethoven

Hello Goodbye

I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

I was thinking of an everyday person, not a musical genius.

Hello Goodbye

^

Kathy, I was responding to these two posts...

Quote from: Tamara on Mar 16, 2022, 07:26 AM
Beethoven could write sheet music while he was deaf.

Quote from: Moogmodule on Mar 17, 2022, 03:43 AM
He was pretty good that Beethoven

I thought that was a fine explanation of Ludwig van Beethoven's special gift.

I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

^^^

Yup. My original point was directed at more general musicians.

blmeanie

A drummer  ha2ha

funny, haven't seen that one in a while

As for Back in the USSR - on a recent ski trip - I play music for myself and buddies over a bluetooth speaker that goes around my neck, anyway, Back in the USSR came on and one of my buddies thought someone might think it was inappropriate with the war going on and likelihood that regaining USSR land is one of the motivations

Normandie

Quote from: blmeanie on Mar 18, 2022, 07:13 AM
As for Back in the USSR - on a recent ski trip - I play music for myself and buddies over a bluetooth speaker that goes around my neck, anyway, Back in the USSR came on and one of my buddies thought someone might think it was inappropriate with the war going on and likelihood that regaining USSR land is one of the motivations

I had that exact same thought the other day when that song came up on my playlist. I wonder if any radio stations have temporarily banned it. I recall quite a few stations banned particular songs in the weeks following 9/11 (including The Bangles' "Walk Like an Egyptian," which seemed like a bit of a stretch). During the devastating floods in this area in 2011 radio stations were instructed not to play Led Zep's "When the Levee Breaks."

P.S. Listening to the Beatles while skiiing sounds seriously blissful.

nimrod

Having thought about this Normandie I've come to the conclusion that a lack of being able to read music was not a help.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

Quote from: Normandie on Mar 18, 2022, 02:50 PM

P.S. Listening to the Beatles while skiiing sounds seriously blissful.

yes , and the playlist usually goes a little mellower on the slopes for me, more of "groovin'" songs