Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Paul in Lima, Peru  (Read 8411 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Paul in Lima, Peru
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »

I can see why that would get to you. They should have come up with a more suitable name like the Scars-Upon-the-Land Lakes.

I like that, a much better name!  ;D
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »

Wow!  The Finger Lakes were formed by glaciers, huh?  It took years but my lesson is finally complete.  When my elementary school teacher called on me to name The Finger Lakes, I said "Lake Erie, Lake Huron..."  She stopped me and said those were The Great Lakes.  "Didn't you do your assignment?"  I said no, they're just lakes and what's the difference.  She told me to go to to the blackboard and write the names of The Finger Lakes 50 times.  I got up and went to the door and told her "You write the names 50 times" and left.  There was no Mississippi River to float down on a raft, like Huckleberry Finn would have done, so I took a walk down Jamaica Avenue and bought a slice of pizza.
Lol! You didn't show her what else the fingers can do, did you?! How was the pizza!?
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 06:14:02 PM »

How was the pizza!?

I bet it was good. NYC pizza usually is.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2014, 06:58:23 PM »

I bet it was good. NYC pizza usually is.

Now you're making me hungry! One of the supermarkets in Nevada used to sell flash-frozen NYC pizza; it was so delicious, those big huge cheese slices! You'd swear it was fresh. Then the Target here in ND used to carry the same product but for some reason discontinued it. I need to look online to order some; looks like quite a few NYC pizzerias will ship to just about anywhere.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »

Wow!  The Finger Lakes were formed by glaciers, huh?  It took years but my lesson is finally complete.  When my elementary school teacher called on me to name The Finger Lakes, I said "Lake Erie, Lake Huron..."  She stopped me and said those were The Great Lakes.  "Didn't you do your assignment?"  I said no, they're just lakes and what's the difference.  She told me to go to to the blackboard and write the names of The Finger Lakes 50 times.  I got up and went to the door and told her "You write the names 50 times" and left.  There was no Mississippi River to float down on a raft, like Huckleberry Finn would have done, so I took a walk down Jamaica Avenue and bought a slice of pizza.

ha2ha  Barry, your posts remind me of a few lines from the Violent Femmes song I posted in the "Currently Listening to" thread the other day:

"I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record."

"Oh, yeah? Well, don't look so distressed. Did I happen to mention that I'm impressed?"

That was me in high school.

KelMar

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2014, 07:50:18 PM »

That was me in high school.

I never would have guessed that! I don't know the Violent Femmes but they sound like a force to be reckoned with. Kind of like me at this stage of my life. LOL

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 09:09:42 PM »

Oh yeah, the "permanent record."  That didn't phase me one bit.  This was a parochial elementary school I attended.  Unlike the public school system, the teachers weren't fully degreed and some had no clue as to how to be a teacher.  Like my second grade teacher who for some unknown reason refused to recognize the girl seated across the aisle from me who had her hand raised for the longest time with a pained expression on her face.  I raised my hand with the hope of interceding on her behalf, but the teacher ignored me too.  Then it happened.  The girl started crying and I saw she was sitting in a pool of urine overflowing onto the the floor in a big puddle.  I left my seat and walked up to the teacher and told her "Now you can lick it up."

What was she going to do, report me to the principal?  Put it on my permanent record?  She was in trouble and she knew it.  She kept her job but she never ignored a raised hand again.

So I learned very early on what that school was all about.  The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Prince and the Pauper became reference books for me.  "What would Huck Finn do in a situation like this?"  I had a secret hiding place that only my best friend Jay knew about.  That's often where I went if I got thrown out of class.  Jay would sneak candy bars to me every so often.  I'd think about the chapter in Tom Sawyer where Tom and Huck observed their own funeral.  "Let 'em look for me.  They'll never find me."  I was having the time of my life!  Sometimes I'd bring a book with me to read.  Usually one of the three aforementioned novels.

I started public school in 7th grade.  You couldn't pull that crap there, that's for sure!  But I didn't have to.  The NYC public school system was top notch with well-trained teachers.  They knew how to be teachers too!  It was a different ballgame.

Yes, the pizza was good, Dave.  It was 10 cents a slice in those days.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2014, 09:22:48 PM »

Now you're making me hungry! One of the supermarkets in Nevada used to sell flash-frozen NYC pizza; it was so delicious, those big huge cheese slices! You'd swear it was fresh. Then the Target here in ND used to carry the same product but for some reason discontinued it. I need to look online to order some; looks like quite a few NYC pizzerias will ship to just about anywhere.

Right, Kathleen.  I've eaten pizza in other parts of the country.  It's awful!  They don't know how to make it right.  The best pizza aound these parts is Santillo's Brick Oven Pizza in Elizabeth New Jersey.

KelMar

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »

That poor little girl. It's good you stuck up for her. Sometimes even the teachers with degrees don't have a clue. That's why we homeschooled for seven years. I wish they could all be half as good as the last teacher my youngest had. I told him on the last day of school that if we could clone him my kids would be staying in public school. As it was, she would have been moving into 5th grade and I'd just seen what that grade did to my son.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »

Robin's mother came to school to take her home, Kelley.  I'm sure it was difficult for her to go back to school the next day.  But maybe the scene I made eased it a bit for her.

She was a quiet girl and even more quiet, and sad, the next few days in school.  I remember trying to get her to laugh.  This teacher would hit us with her pointer, girls too.  Jay, Josh (both liked to get into trouble too) and I couldn't care less about being hit with the pointer.  We even held contests to see who would have the most welts on their arms at the end of the day.  It bothered me that she hit others, especially the girls.  So when the teacher excused herself to go to the bathroom and left ol' Naomi, with her stupid notebook, in charge of the class, I went up to the blackboard and broke her pointer in two.  I looked at Naomi and told her "You better not tell."  When I sat down, I saw that Robin was giggling.  I felt better.  Then the teacher returned and saw that her pointer was broken and asked "Who did this?"  I raised my hand.  She gave me a long, hard look and threw the broken pointer in the basket.  Then she pulled out a yardstick and put it on the blackboard.  I kept looking at her for a long time.  Finally she put the yardstick back into the closet.

KelMar

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »

Then the Target here in ND used to carry the same product but for some reason discontinued it.

I have a theory Kathy, that these places that track our spending habits through our loyalty cards pick people at random and say, "Oh look; that person really seems to like this product. Let's discontinue it. Then they twirl their mustaches and laugh like Snidely Whiplash. I'm one of those unlucky consumers and it appears you may be too! No...I'm not really that paranoid but that happens to me all the time at BJ's Wholesale Club.

Quote from: Hello Goodbye
Right, Kathleen.  I've eaten pizza in other parts of the country.  It's awful!  They don't know how to make it right.

Barry, we have pizza place here that you'd probably like. My cousin's husband, who was born and raised on Long Island, highly endorses it. Other than my homemade it's the only kind I'll eat. Now I want pizza!

KelMar

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2014, 10:46:21 PM »

This teacher would hit us with her pointer, girls too. 

That's just child abuse, Barry. I know it wasn't uncommon practice but it still makes me so sad. I'm glad you made Robin giggle and I'll bet she remembers you for it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 01:32:02 AM »

Ignoring Robin's raised hand and the expression on her face was even worse abuse.  If that teacher ever claimed that she didn't realize what was going on, then she was full of crap.  I was only seven yet I knew what she had her hand up for.

That incident launched my "acting up" career.  Had something precipitated that before this incident, I would have taken her by the hand and led her out the classroom door.

She might remember me, Kelley.  I certainly remember her.  She was always friendly to me for the five years I attended that school regardless of what mischief I caused.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 02:46:05 AM »

Barry, we have pizza place here that you'd probably like. My cousin's husband, who was born and raised on Long Island, highly endorses it. Other than my homemade it's the only kind I'll eat. Now I want pizza!

Go get some!       :)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 12:22:36 PM »

I've lived in different parts of the country and have found only a couple of good places for pizza. NY is one of them. Boston is good too. The North End is historically Italian back when Boston was a city of neighborhoods and it's in influence spread from there. Recently I figured out the cheese blend (by accident) of my favorite pizza growing up that has been closed for 30 years. I'm going to make it soon.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 04:48:30 AM »

KelMar

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 05:01:55 AM »

Ignoring Robin's raised hand and the expression on her face was even worse abuse. 

Absolutely. I can't fathom how anyone could justify treating kids like that but I have seen it. When my son was in second grade I went in at lunchtime to give him a dose of Augmentin. He wasn't in the lunchroom and I finally tracked him down in the office, doing schoolwork. Apparently he hadn't finished his morning assignments and was being kept out of lunch. I told him to go eat and then it was his teacher who missed lunch. Thus began my "acting up" career.

Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.761 seconds with 68 queries.