Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sgt Pepper Photo Shoot Inquiry  (Read 7453 times)

mouschter

• One And One Is Two
Sgt Pepper Photo Shoot Inquiry
« on: April 18, 2010, 03:46:53 PM »

I am seeking any and all details of the 3 hour photo shoot of the Sergeant Pepper cover on March 30, 1967 at Chelsea Manor Photograhic Studios (1-11 Flood St) by photographer Michael Cooper overseen by Pop artist Peter Blake and assisted by his wife Jan Haworth(I am not sure if Robert Frazer was there). I have seen www.fab4art.com's excellent "The Sergeant Pepper Album Cover Shoot Dissected" and seen most of the outake pictures and I don't need a recounting of the props or of the cutouts and wax figures. I do know that the florist was Maida Vale and have heard the tale of how the delivery boy made the impromtu floral guitar out of hyacinths and how photog Michael Cooper's young son Adam wondered around the proceedings. I am wondering how the Beatles arrived(even in what cars?)Did John and George come together (pardon the pun) I have heard that out of the four they were under the inluence of the Lysergic...What had all four been doing that day? The outakes show the four Manuel Cuevas designed Pepper coats hanging on a rack off to the right, and I have heard they had a round of drinks before they changed. What would hve been the lads booze of choice at this time?(I imagine they had gone past the Scotch and Coke phase of early Beatlemania or did they just have a cuppa tea)Maybe some of you photography geeks out there can tell me what kind of camera and flash Cooper might have used(It is fascinating how in some pictures John's jacket goes from bright green to pale yellow depending on the lighting. I have heard it was a 3 hour shoot, exactly when to when? How many assistants did Blake and Haworth have in the studio?, (I understand the cutout and pasting had taken weeks) Oh, and I am aware of the Hitler cutout story you can see him lying off to the side in an outake....Thanks for humoring me with this post....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:16:38 AM by mouschter »

Ahme

Re: Sgt Pepper Photo Shoot Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »

Wow. You already know so much... What's the point?

mouschter

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:48:37 PM »

Dear Madam
    Its very simple. I wanna be a paperback writer.... And I was hoping those of you in the Beatles brother and sisterhood could give me some more clues about what ocurred on a very cosmic day...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:09:39 PM by mouschter »

Ahme

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:46:22 PM »

But why this day? What makes it cosmic for you? There's lots of cosmic days in the Beatles history.

mouschter

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 11:23:32 PM »

Hey Folks!
   Its Getting Better All The Time! Am rereading the Pepper section of Barry Miles"Paul McCartney-Many Years From Now"(the closest thing we may ever have to a Paul memoir) and finding more tidbits...but any more clues With A Little Help From My Friends about this particular Day In The Life would be Guaranteed To Raise A Smile....

RimS55

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:13:26 PM »

"The photograph by Michael Cooper was taken as his Chelsea studio using a 5in x 4in Sinar Monorail camera on Kodak transparency film.  The scene required a lot of light and to attempt it an electronic flash made by Strobe Lighting Ltd was used. One large unit bounced light off the sloped ceiling while two long units were used as fill-in on either side."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »

Beatles Sgt. Pepper Photo Shoot Feature (The video's owner prevents external embedding)
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »

Welcome to the forum RimS55!
I can stay till it's time to go

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »

"The photograph by Michael Cooper was taken as his Chelsea studio using a 5in x 4in Sinar Monorail camera on Kodak transparency film.  The scene required a lot of light and to attempt it an electronic flash made by Strobe Lighting Ltd was used. One large unit bounced light off the sloped ceiling while two long units were used as fill-in on either side."

Welcome to the DM Beatles Forum RimS55! I feel confident that you will enjoy yourself here with us. As THE BEATLES once said: A SPLENDID TIME IS GUARANTEED FOR ALL! Take care. 

RimS55

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 11:44:26 AM »

Welcome to the DM Beatles Forum RimS55! I feel confident that you will enjoy yourself here with us. As THE BEATLES once said: A SPLENDID TIME IS GUARANTEED FOR ALL! Take care.
THANKS!

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 55 queries.