Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Penny Lane/SF on Sgt Pepper  (Read 26230 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Penny Lane/SF on Sgt Pepper
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2005, 02:55:34 PM »

Quote from: An_Apple_Beatle

I read that it was to his dog too. Martha was the name of his english sheep-dog. I mean you have some points Ydoll but would he say 'Hold your head up you silly girl'? about Jane?
don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2005, 04:04:04 PM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn
Sorry Frightwolf, I seem to be naysaying you all the time!

But Hey Jude is NOT sung to Julian. It started off as Hey Julian, hey Jules as we all know, as Paul tootled along in his car to visit Cyn & Jules, but the song advanced a LONG way from there.

How can it not be a classic love song? Go out and get her, etc etc. Read the lyrics. Sure it's a love song: one of the great ones too.

A bit more about Martha My Dear. How can it be a song sung to his dog? Listen to the lyrics: "you have always been my inspiration" "don't forget me". Put it this way: it's MUCH MORE likely to be a song to Jane Asher than to his dog!

I don't mind the naysaying at all -- I haven't actually had a real debate in a while :)!

The fact is that with the stories from Cynthia about Paul coming to her house and comforting her and Julian, and Paul's own claim that that's what the song is about, the song would most likely be about Julian.

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2005, 05:44:02 PM »

"Help" was written about/and as a thank you, to Pete Shotton, his childhood friend that would hang out with him at Weybridge when the Beatles had a minute or two to spend at home, and gave John a sense of normalcy in his life.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2005, 05:50:17 PM »

I haven't read that before.

Bobber

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2005, 09:38:49 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b
Just been reading about G Martin saying the Penny Lane/SFFE single being the biggest mistake of his career.

I think George Martin meant that it was not a good idea to put two great songs on a single and release it as a double a-side. Afterwards he realised he'd rather have whether SFF or Penny Lane as the a-side and When I'm 64 on the back. That would also have meant When I'm 64 should not have been on Sgt Pepper. It's true that the single did not reach the #1-position, whereas it contains two of the best things The Beatles ever recorded.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2005, 08:58:55 PM »

Yea, but they made it up with Hey Jude/Revolution, which was another great single (imo, better than the fantastic SFF/Penny Lane single).

But, to stay on-topic, where did you read that he wanted When I'm 64 as a B-Side? That's interesting, but something I haven't heard of before.

Bobber

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2005, 07:25:01 AM »

I think it was on the Anthology, but I'll have to check on that. At the end of 1966, after their sabbatical three months, they had recorded three songs, meant for a new album: Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane and When I'm 64. Brian Epstein wanted to release a single and asked George Martin what was available. He told Brian he had three songs, from which two of them were among the best The Beatles ever recorded. They decided to make it a double a-side. The single did not reach the #1 position and George Martin blamed himself for that. He thought it might have been better to promote whether SFF or PL as the new single, not both of them.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2005, 01:58:29 PM »

I have an idea to record all the songs from 1967, including Only A Northern Song, onto CD, and have my own 'album' called 1967. Alternating tracks from Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery tour, to make it more interesting. You could argue that it's good that Penny Lane and SFFE found their way onto MMT, but if they hadn't put them there the band might have had to write new songs or recorded unrecorded ones for us!
All You Need Is LOVE!

Bobber

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2007, 11:06:40 AM »

A nice day to bump this thread?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2007, 11:59:50 AM »

I've changed my mind somewhat since then. I'd drop Lovely Rita and Good Morning.
I'm having trouble with the running order, but the opening 3 tracks would have to stay as is, WY WY has to open side 2 and ADINTL has to be the closer
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2007, 12:00:31 PM »

Quote from: 185
I've changed my mind somewhat since then. I'd drop Lovely Rita and Good Morning.
I'm having trouble with the running order, but the opening 3 tracks would have to stay as is, WY WY has to open side 2 and ADINTL has to be the closer

Can you make a list of that?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2007, 12:30:27 PM »

Here's mine, dropping Getting Better and Good Morning, Good Morning:

01. Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
02. With A Little Help From My Friends
03. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
04. Fixing A Hole
05. Penny Lane
06. She's Leaving Home
07. Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite
08. Within You Without You
09. Strawberry Fields Forever
10. Lovely Rita
11. When I'm Sixty Four
12. Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13. Day In The Life

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2007, 12:39:49 PM »

May I critique?
Looks good, but aren't WY WY and SFF a bit of the same pace? It's a long time without a pick me up. I say this only because SFF is the one I have trouble placing.
don't follow leaders

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2007, 09:17:44 PM »

I can't see the album being any different, i really can't :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2007, 12:19:31 AM »

I blame Engelbert Humperdinck and  " Release Me " for all this talk lol :)

DaveRam :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2007, 09:09:24 AM »

Having just done the math, side one clocks in at 19:51, and side 2 at 19:59. It's actually possible to have stuck them on there without taking anything off.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2007, 09:41:01 AM »

Quote from: 483
Having just done the math, side one clocks in at 19:51, and side 2 at 19:59. It's actually possible to have stuck them on there without taking anything off.

Good Morning Good Morning has to go.
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2007, 10:23:03 AM »

Ahh heres the thread I was referring to in another post...for my 2 cents...drop at least Lovely Rita...Weak in comparison. The brass and those tom breaks in Good Morning make it a keeper for me. hehe
Getting Better has GOT to be there too so if another was to be dropped...hmmmm now that is tough...personally speaking 'Within You, Without You' although I appreciate it's cultural importance to the plot.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2007, 02:39:05 PM »

Quote from: 483

Argh! No wonder George Martin is still kicking himself over omitting these. He knows they would have fit, and become part of this classic release. Poor man. Poor fans! *puckers lower lip*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • &quot;The dude abides.&quot;
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2007, 07:04:57 PM »

I'd keep Good Morning Good Morning because it fits the urban alienation theme.  I'd drop either Lovely Rita or When I'm 64--I know people love the latter, but I think She's Leaving Home covers the nostalgia period theme adequately.  

Here's my sample.

01. Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
02. With A Little Help From My Friends
03. Strawberry Fields Forever
04. Fixing A Hole
05. Penny Lane
06. Within You Without You

07.  Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
08.  Lovely Rita (or When I'm 64)
09.  Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite
10.  She's Leaving Home
11.  Good Morning Good Morning
12.  Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13.  Day In The Life
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 77 queries.