Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let It Be Album  (Read 10524 times)

BeatlesandBud

• One And One Is Two
  • Nowhere Man
Let It Be Album
« on: August 27, 2012, 06:10:51 PM »

I'm sure this has been covered before and I apologize in advance but anyways I just wanted to talk about the Let it Be album. I actually just got acess to the entire album a couple of days ago. Expectations exceeded by a million miles. Total ecstacy of the ears mind and soul while this album is playing to me. Definitely a candidate for the most amazing 35 minutes of music cheer1 cheer1 Anywyas I was just wondering why it is mixed in with all the "filler" , the talking between tracks, etc. To me it sounds kinda unprofessional. Does anyone know what they were going for here ?
In my opinion, the Beatles are not only the greatest musical act of all time, but also mankind's crowning artistic achievement.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Let It Be Album
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »

Anywyas I was just wondering why it is mixed in with all the "filler" , the talking between tracks, etc. To me it sounds kinda unprofessional. Does anyone know what they were going for here ?

Live atmosphere.  That's what I always thought.
I can stay till it's time to go

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 07:48:01 PM »

For a certain period of time it was my fave The Beatles album - around the time it was released. Just as you heard it. Produced by Phil Spector rather than their usual producer, George Martin, it features Spector's trademark style.

It was intended to compliment the LIB film, so the banter may be just what you say - a way of giving it a live, off-the-cuff feel.

The 'Naked' version is available, and you should give that a listen. None of that 'filler' you mentioned.

Glad you like it.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

BeatlesandBud

• One And One Is Two
  • Nowhere Man
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 10:30:59 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm still definitely a Beatles "noob" and I am learning and finding new songs all the time (although new songs are becoming harder to find ;D) . Anyways while I was looking into it some more I found this little gem from John, "He was given the sh*ttiest load of badly recorded sh*t with a lousy feeling to it ever, and he made something of it... When I heard it, I didn't puke." It gives me the impression that he wasn't really satisfied with his work with the Beatles. Very ironic considering I feel it is some of the most amazing music ever made. He repeats this sentiment. If I am correct he referred to And your bird can sing as "a bunch of sh*t I wrote" ... geez John show some confidence in your work !!! Ok I'm off to listen to Let it Be ... Naked !!
In my opinion, the Beatles are not only the greatest musical act of all time, but also mankind's crowning artistic achievement.

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:58:22 PM »

nimrod

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 12:03:21 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm still definitely a Beatles "noob" and I am learning and finding new songs all the time (although new songs are becoming harder to find ;D) . Anyways while I was looking into it some more I found this little gem from John, "He was given the sh*ttiest load of badly recorded sh*t with a lousy feeling to it ever, and he made something of it... When I heard it, I didn't puke." It gives me the impression that he wasn't really satisfied with his work with the Beatles. Very ironic considering I feel it is some of the most amazing music ever made. He repeats this sentiment. If I am correct he referred to And your bird can sing as "a bunch of sh*t I wrote" ... geez John show some confidence in your work !!! Ok I'm off to listen to Let it Be ... Naked !!

John was a genius, and like most genius's no-one understands how their mind works..

Paul is the same but in a different way

if you listen to LIB Naked, compare 'I Me Mine' versions on both albums.................. without the Brass band it sounds empty on Naked IMO

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »

I like the Naked album better. I don't think The Beatles envisioned it with Spectors angel choirs and much additional overdubs. Another point for me is that without the wall of sound I can hear more distinct guitar work. It gives us Beatle fans something new to figure out years after it was made. Considering Georges I, Me Mine was recorded in April 1970 without John it is a nice excersize in George guitar as he played them all. Much fun!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 05:05:43 PM »

I like the Naked album better. I don't think The Beatles envisioned it with Spectors angel choirs and much additional overdubs. Another point for me is that without the wall of sound I can hear more distinct guitar work. It gives us Beatle fans something new to figure out years after it was made. Considering Georges I, Me Mine was recorded in April 1970 without John it is a nice excersize in George guitar as he played them all. Much fun!

I also like the original "Get Back" album that was left with Glyn Johns when the Beatles abandoned the project.  A bit unpolished but I'm not crazy about what Spector did with some of the songs.  There are actually 2 versions of "Get Back" with slightly different track listings.

No official versions exist. Dr. Ebbetts did a nice job with both.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

BeatlesandBud

• One And One Is Two
  • Nowhere Man
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 04:29:29 AM »

I too much prefer the Naked album and this is the one I'm going to put on my ipod. If its good enough for Paul, its good enough for me ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 06:56:25 AM »

John was a genius, and like most genius's no-one understands how their mind works..

Sooo...you're saying John was a bit (I'm trying to think of nice words here) "contrary", "liable to change his mind" or simply "gtt things a bit wrong" because he was a genius? Hmm. Could just be that he was a contrary, mind changing, getting things wrong kind of guy (jamming with Elvis, smoking dope in the palace, seeing UFO's....etc).
I don't think these are traits held in monopoly by alleged geniuses. Even the biggest idiot is capable of them every now and then.
He does seem very prone to making contradictory statements.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:07:04 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »

They don't have to understand how genius' mind works but at least they have to be able to understand what genius is doing. I don't think John was a genius, he just a nice man who wasn't afraid of being himself.

nimrod

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 12:37:54 PM »

Yes Dcazz it is strange that they let Phil put all the extra stuff on there considering it was supposed to be a 'lets get back to basics without loads of overdubs' allbum, I can thoroughly understand why Paul wanted it re-releasing without all that and I like the way he put 'Dont Let Me Down' on there also, the trouble is with me Ive played it a thousand times in its original form and Naked just sounds...erm...Naked to me and a bit emptyish, so I still prefer the original.

BeatlesandBud

• One And One Is Two
  • Nowhere Man
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 05:33:22 PM »

I think it is fairly obvious that John was a genius in some way shape or form. The man wrote Strawberry Fields and I am the Walrus (among others ofc ;D). In an interview I remember him talking about how he would get hallucinations that would come to him and that would be his art (his songs). McCartney wrote the song Yesterday literally in his sleep. These men are obviously on a different level than us a mere mortals.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 11:39:44 PM »

These men are obviously on a different level than us a mere mortals.

They are just people too. Sure they can write better songs than us, but i'm sure we are better at them at a bunch of things too.I know what your saying, but I have problems putting mere humans that high up on the list.

nimrod

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 11:53:57 PM »

The definition of a genius.

Exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.
A person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative, either generally or in some particular respect: "musical genius".

IMO (and I agree this is entirely subjective but facts and figures back me up) both John & Paul fit the above, Beethoven, Bach & Mozart were considered to be of genius level and surely with what they achieved on a world wide scale and the many many truly great melodies they wrote both Lennon & McCartney were the modern day Mozarts, Id go so far as to say that they didnt just write songs that will live for thousands of years they (like a very select few) changed the face of popular music, just like Bach did in his day with his counterpoint and contrapuntal melodies, in Johns case songs like Strawberry Fields, Walrus, Tomorrow Never Knows, Lucy In The Sky etc introduced a new level of art into pop music, never before had pop music been like this, Paul wrote astonishingly great melodies and together with albums like Pepper they changed simple pop music into a serious art form expressive both lyrically and harmonically.............true genius.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 07:08:29 AM »

We could be here all day arguing about what a genius is.
 I agree Lennon was in his hey day (63 to 67, with another little flash in the early 70’s)  like Mozart etc  an exceptionally good songwriter. Probably one of the greatest of his day. So in his field, on a good day, yes he was a genius at writing songs. If that’s what people actually mean, then good and fair enough.
But I do think many people, when calling him a genius, believe that he transcended that, that he was more on a par with “great mind” genius (if you get my drift), which I think is pretty unconvincing.
In the context of the world and human endeavour, “changing the face” of popular western  music (an accolade quite a few artists, producers and Simon Cowells could lay claim to) is hardly E=MC2.
And another point I like to labour – John and Paul didn’t invent pyschedelia or “concept” albums – they just did them remarkably better than everyone else, and because of the fame afforded to them by Beatlemania were able to popularise them as ideas.. Their genius (damn) was to be able to take ideas bubbling away at the fringe of popular music and turn them into (exceptionally good) products for the masses.
And for the record, I think it’s pretty hard in any human endeavour (music included) to say “this person invented this idea.” Generally it’s the culmination of many little ideas, with one person (Darwin, Einstein, Picasso, Lennon) being the one to have the fortune or skill to popularise them. History loves a hero. Maybe that is genius. Damn again
don't follow leaders

nimrod

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 11:41:29 PM »

We could be here all day arguing about what a genius is.

I wouldnt do that Kevin, if anybody doesnt think L & M were not genius level, its ok with me, its subjective.

I agree Lennon was in his hey day (63 to 67, with another little flash in the early 70’s)  like Mozart etc  an exceptionally good songwriter. Probably one of the greatest of his day. So in his field, on a good day, yes he was a genius at writing songs. If that’s what people actually mean, then good and fair enough.

Good, then we agree  :)

But I do think many people, when calling him a genius, believe that he transcended that, that he was more on a par with “great mind” genius (if you get my drift), which I think is pretty unconvincing.
In the context of the world and human endeavour, “changing the face” of popular western  music (an accolade quite a few artists, producers and Simon Cowells could lay claim to) is hardly E=MC2.

Ahh but it is, E=MC2 to some people (quite a lot) whether you think science is more important than art, well thats subjective also..

I dont think they were some sort of gods, I dont believe they transcended being genuis level at writing songs and applying different techniques to the recording process, thats what they were exceptional at.

And another point I like to labour – John and Paul didn’t invent pyschedelia or “concept” albums – they just did them remarkably better than everyone else

I certainly didnt say they did,  :)

What they did do though was create the idea of using the studio as a sort of instrument, they were so huge (and influential) in the later 60's that they could just play all night in the studio and together with George Martin they utilised all facets that the meagre Abbey Rd studio afforded them, they had a lot of technical 'firsts' on their records that no-one had thought of doing before.
I dont know if you were around in the 60's Kevin but the arrival of Pepper was a monumental event, it must be hard for the younger posters on here to imagine just how big they were.
After the taster of Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields single, everyone knew that something great musically was happening and it wouldve been easy for The Beatles not to live up to expectations with the long awaited album, but live up it did, and it changed popular music from that day it was released (not just me saying that, read it all over the place by music pro's much more knowledgeable than me)  :)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:43:13 PM by nimrod »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 02:50:54 AM »

Yes Dcazz it is strange that they let Phil put all the extra stuff on there considering it was supposed to be a 'lets get back to basics without loads of overdubs' allbum, I can thoroughly understand why Paul wanted it re-releasing without all that and I like the way he put 'Dont Let Me Down' on there also, the trouble is with me Ive played it a thousand times in its original form and Naked just sounds...erm...Naked to me and a bit emptyish, so I still prefer the original.
I know what you mean. I think if the strings and stuff were activley done by the Beatles in collaberation with their producer instead of walking away I might like it better and of course for years until Naked was released it was fine, but for me since the Naked version was released even though it's a bit thin at times I like the basic intended version better. Closer to the intended feel for me.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 04:45:27 AM »

I agree. When it came time to acquire that missing part of my collection I wondered which to get but it only took a few listens on YouTube to make up my mind. Not that I won't buy the Spector version eventually but for now I'll stay naked.  ;)

Keep studying and you'll find that's just John being John. And welcome to the forum!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »

I dont know if you were around in the 60's Kevin but the arrival of Pepper was a monumental event, it must be hard for the younger posters on here to imagine just how big they were.

Hi Mate.
I was 9 in 67, but aware enough of Pepper by the 70's. At that age The Monkees meant far more to me than The Beatles ever did  :)
Of course I don't deny deny Peppers monumental impact. It is rightly regarded as one of the most important albums of all time. My point more is that it broke through to the masses the idea of an album as an entity (I shudder to use the word concept.) But this was not a Beatle invention. Others had tried with less success, probably because a) they were not as good as The Beatles, or b) not as popular, so no-one really noticed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:04:06 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 3.965 seconds with 91 queries.