Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: John Lennon Liverpool Season.  (Read 7926 times)

yavanna

• A Beginning
Re: John Lennon Liverpool Season.
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »

Dear Mr.  Harry,

I agree with Xose, it' s very interesting. I love to read about it, and it's great to see so much dedication !
I'm sure many people will appreciate it and join in the acitivies/events.

The "problem" in the forum might be that many (incuding myself) sadly don't have the chance to come to liverpool, living too far away.
But the more I enjoy the opportunity that I can at least read about everything that's going on !

Johanna
If the sun has faded away
I'll try to make it shine
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 11:55:44 PM »

EMI will be tying in with the Hard Day's Night Hotel to promote the new John package on 1 October at 10 o clock. I've been asked to go along and do the introductions.

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 02:04:23 AM »

I decided to just cut and paste this information for everyone here.I wish I could in be visting Liverpool for some of these events celebrating Johns 70th birthday.I am to going to put this in two postings because there is just much information for one.

This first major convention dedication entirely to John Lennon

News from The Beatles Story newsletter

A two-month cultural programme will mark 70 years since Lennon's birth and 30 years since his untimely death

The city of Liverpool, birthplace of The Beatles, is to a host an extensive season of cultural events to celebrate the life of John Lennon, one of the world's most influential and legendary musicians, who was born in the city.

From October 9 - which would have been John Lennon's 70th birthday, to 9 December - the day after the 30th anniversary of his assassination; organisations in Liverpool will join forces to host a series of live music, film, poetry and art events which are estimated to bring tens of thousands of additional tourists to the city.

Events include ‘Lennon Remembered', a major tribute concert at the 11,000 seat Echo Arena, a major birthday celebration at the world-famous Cavern Club, a Lennon-inspired international poetry competition, film festival, lecture programme and visual art exhibitions at Liverpool John Moores University. White Feather: Spirit of Lennon, an exhibition about life with John Lennon by his son Julian and former wife Cynthia, has also been specially extended.

The organisation of the John Lennon Tribute Season is being led by the world's leading permanent Beatles-themed visitor attraction, the Beatles Story and a team including regional tourist board, The Mersey Partnership (TMP); Liverpool City Council; Liverpool attractions, Cavern City Tours, the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and shopping and leisure complex, Liverpool One.

Jerry Goldman, Managing Director of the Beatles Story said: "2010 is a big year for Beatles fans as it is 50 years since the band formed and 40 years since they split. Combine this with what would have been John Lennon's 70th birthday and the 30th anniversary of his death and you can see why we wanted to host a fitting tribute. The richness and diversity of the John Lennon Tribute Season represents the impact John's life had on music and culture, the city of Liverpool and fans all over the world".

Neil Scales, Chief Executive and Director General of Merseytravel, which owns the Beatles Story, said: "The Beatles legend is evergreen and attracts more followers all over the world with succeeding generations. It is fitting that we should mark this particular anniversary."

Councillor Gary Millar, the city's executive member for enterprise and tourism, said: "This Lennon Season will be a fitting way to remember two landmark anniversaries and an opportunity for the city to celebrate the legacy that John left for all. I am positive that the numerous fantastic events taking place will provide Lennon fans with a meaningful way in which to celebrate his life."

"I'm so pleased that the City Council is one of the key organisers of Lennon's tribute. I believe it's only right that the city gets involved and between October and December fondly remembers one of its greatest sons."

Liverpool's Lord Mayor, Councillor Mike Storey, said: "John Lennon is one of the most iconic figures of the Twentieth Century and a Liverpool lad who became known in every corner of the globe. His enduring message of peace is as important now as ever and continues to be an inspiration to many. The John Lennon Tribute Season will allow us to remember him as a man, celebrate his music, and his overall contribution to our city."

A selection of headline events from the John Lennon Tribute Season Programme:

Saturday 9 October - Thursday 9 December 2010

CAVERN CLUB - "Imagine" the tribute with Marcus Cahill: Daily

CAVERN CLUB - 70th Birthday Celebration Gig including top tribute acts: 9 October

FILM FESTIVAL - Liverpool ONE Odeon Cinema: November

LENNON POET 2010 - Major International Poetry Competition: Final in November

"AN EVENING WITH": Weekly lecture programme with Lennon friends and family: Dates TBC

LENNON ART: Exhibitions at Liverpool John Moores University: Dates TBC

LENNON STREET ENTERTAINERS FESTIVAL: Liverpool ONE: October

WALKING TOURS: View Lennon sites with VIP Guides: Weekly

WHITE FEATHER: The Spirit of Lennon: Exhibition by Julian & Cynthia Lennon, Beatles Story

JOHN LENNON REMEMBERED: Memorial Concert at The Echo Arena: 9 December (Tickets on sale 9am on the 9 April from ACC T: 0844 8000 400)

About The John Lennon peace monument in Liverpool:

Beatles John Lennon peace monument to be built in Liverpool
by Nick Webster. Published Fri 14 May 2010 11:27

A monument dedicated to John Lennon will be built in Liverpool as part of a global peace movement.

The statue will be presented to The Beatles Story by Lennon's son Julian as part of the city’s two-month event commemorating the former Beatle’s 70th birthday and the 30th anniversary of his murder.

The 18ft artwork has been commissioned by California-based organisation Global Peace Initiative and 19-year-old American artist Lauren Voiers will create the piece, which aims to celebrate both the musician and his message of peace.

The metal monument, which will incorporate a white feather within its design after a request from 47-year-old Julian, will be unveiled in October and will be sited in a prominent city centre location yet to be agreed.

The Beatles Story managing director Jerry Goldman said: “New York has the Imagine mosaic in Strawberry Fields and it attracts hoards of people.

“The Global Peace Initiative wants to create a peace monument on every continent and it was well down the road on its monument for Europe, which was designed to go to the site of the Berlin Wall.

“When I asked if it could design one for us, it said the concept it was working on could not be more appropriate for Liverpool and John Lennon.”

The John Lennon peace monument will be the second in a series of monuments commissioned by Global Peace Initiative.

The organisation's aim is to spread artistic symbols of peace across the globe, with the first statue presented to the President of Singapore on behalf of the people of Asia in 2005.

It is hoped the Liverpool monument will complement the memorial in New York, acting as a place of pilgrimage for people wanting to remember one of the world’s most influential icons.

Artist Lauren said: “My art has always been influenced by the ideals of peace and harmony and it is a great honour to spread this message across Europe through my sculpture.

“The fact it will be located in Liverpool, the home town of such a music legend, is phenomenal.”

Ben Valenty, director of Global Peace Initiative, added: “We were searching for an appropriate location for the second Global Peace monument for some time.

“The creativity and history which surrounds Liverpool make it an ideal destination for Europe’s art piece.”
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:09:54 AM by peregrine9 »
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans. John Lennon

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 02:07:06 AM »

Here is part 2 of the information.Which is actually even more important.Because of the information on the dates and locations and times etc

• Astrid Kirchherr - A Retrospective, 
24th August - end of January 2011.
Tue to Sat, 10am to 5pm 
Victoria Gallery & Museum, University of Liverpool.
For more information www.liv.ac.uk/vgm

• White Feather: The Spirit of Lennon, until 31 December 2010
An exhibition about life with John Lennon presented by his son Julian and former wife Cynthia. 
Beatles Story Pier Head
.This exhibition is part of the Beatles Story and is included in the admission price.
Opening Times: 7 days a week, 9am - 7pm (last admission 5pm)
 http://www.beatlesstory.com/special-exhibi...te-feather.html

• John Lennon's 70th Birthday Celebration Gig, Friday 8th & Saturday 9th October
/(Please note some dates are already sold out!)
Cavern Club, Mathew Street
To book your tickets please call +44 (0)151 236 9091 
www.cavernclub.org

• John Lennon Song Book 70th Birthday, Saturday 9th October, 7.30pm.
Liverpool Philharmonic Hall.
 To book your tickets please call +44 (0)151 709 3789.
 www.liverpoolphil.com

• Unveiling of Global Peace Initiative Peace Monument to John Lennon.
More details to be confirmed

• Magical Mystery Tour - Lennon Special, Saturday 9th October & Thursday 9th December
.Visit all the sights of The Beatles Liverpool as well as many more associated with John. 12pm and 2.30pm. 
To book your tickets contact Cavern City Tours on +44 (0)151 236 9091.
www.cavernclub.org

• Walking Class Hero, Saturday 9th October & Thursday 9th December, 5pm.
City Centre walking tour of John Lennon's Liverpool. Departs from the Cavern Club.
To book your tickets contact Cavern City Tours on +44 (0)151 236 9091.
www.cavernclub.org

• Bed-In at the Bluecoat, Saturday 9th October - Thursday 9th December 
62 days - 62 events.
The Bluecoat, Liverpool.General information: +44 (0)151 702 5324.
www.thebluecoat.org.uk

• John Lennon Tribute Show Cavern Club, Saturday 9th October - Thursday 9th December 
Daily, Mathew Street
. No tickets required. Admission to the Cavern Club free of charge.
VIP area can be reserved by calling the Cavern Club on +44 (0)151 236 9091.
www.cavernclub.org

• Fab4 ‘John Lennon' Taxi Tour, Saturday 9th October - Thursday 9th December.
Take a tour of Lennon's Liverpool in the comfort of a black taxi. 
To book a Fab Four Taxi Tour please call +44 (0)151 601 2111.
www.fabfourtaxitours.com

• Liverpool ONE Loves Lennon - A Musical Tribute, Saturday 9th October - Friday 15th October.
Professional musicians and street entertainers will be performing musical tributes to John Lennon through out the streets of Liverpool ONE.
No tickets required.
www.liverpool-one.com

• Liverpool ONE Loves Lennon - An Art Exhibition, Saturday 9th October - Sunday 31st October
.Competition for children and adults to have artwork related to John Lennon on display at Liverpool ONE. 
Entry deadline: Friday 10th September
www.liverpool-one.com

• Lennon by Bob Eaton, Saturday 15th October - Saturday 13th November
.Royal Court Liverpool,
2.00pm and 8.00 pm performances. 
To book tickets call +44 (0)870 787 1866.
www.royalcourtliverpool.co.uk

• Performance Poetry Slam Final, Saturday 6th November.
Closing date for entries 10th September . 
John Lennon International Poetry Competition Judged by Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy
.Ticketing information to be confirmed.
Click here for more information
http://www.beatlesstory.com/our-attraction...ompetition.html

Bobber

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 07:19:06 AM »

Good job.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 11:29:52 AM »

I'm surprised there isn't a website for this season for his birthday I've organised a fun get together with my friends. We will go to this pub were it does kareoke and I will sing John Lennon songs and I will dress up as him. Here's the poster I made for it

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 02:49:32 PM »

yes dirk it is the real bill

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »

;yes ;D

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »

With the unique lectures I've arranged, I just wish there was a way in which they could be retained for posterity. I don't know much about webcams, but I wondered whether the lectures could be captured by webcam to allow fans throughout the world to see them. Alternately, it would be nice if all lectures could be videoed and placed on a DVD or something. Even if they are just audio recorded. Although I've arranged them, I'm not technical and wouldn't know how to go about these things.
I think I did mention I've added an additional lecture with Rod Murray, June Furlong and myself at the Art College lecture hall, which we all used when at college.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 11:49:07 AM »

That would be great!! ;)

I hope you can get it...

Xosé

yavanna

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »

That would be great!! ;)

I hope you can get it...

Xosé

Definitly signed !
If the sun has faded away
I'll try to make it shine

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 05:40:18 PM »

I think the lecture with Stan Parkes and Julia Baird will be a highlight. Millions may have seen 'Nowhere Boy', but this is where the true story, the real facts, related by two people were were relatively closely involved with the childhood and youth of John will vreveal all. Stan has never discussed his stories about John in public before. Sadly, he is quite ill at the moment but is determined to appear as this will be the one and only time he'll ever discuss those unique memories in public. Julia's memories are also like gold-dust. Anyone who can make it to St Georges Hall on Sunday 28 November should do so, it's a one and only opportunity - also, it only costs a fiver!

Bobber

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 08:27:48 AM »

I won't be able to attend, Bill. But a recording or realtime broadcast should be done! Is there any technician in your neighbourhood?

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 03:39:12 AM »

Some more information for those that have not seen it yet. I feel out of fairness that the Liverpool fans and British fans should have been able to get these tickets first.
I do hope the British fans were able to some of get some of these tickets.

• Unveiling of Global Peace Initiative Peace Monument to John Lennon.
Julian Lennon and his mom will be dedicating.The 18ft monument entitled 'Peace and Harmony' will be unveiled by Julian and Cynthia Lennon in a prestigious ceremony in October as part of the John Lennon Tribute Season. The monument will emulate New York's Strawberry Fields memorial by attracting thousands of visitors wishing to celebrate the life and spirit of John Lennon, as well as becoming an iconic peace symbol for Britain.The monument has been created by American teen art prodigy Lauren Voiers and is being gifted to the Beatles Story and the City of Liverpool by California-based organisation Global Peace Initiative.
The Liverpool ECHO, Beatles Story and Liverpool ONE have teamed up to offer you a once-in-a-lifetime chance to attend an exclusive John Lennon event. It will celebrate the unveiling of a special European peace monument created in his honour.The event takes place at 11.30am in Chavasse Park, Liverpool One on Saturday 9th October 2010 - what would have been his 70th birthday.
A total of 500 pairs will be given away to the public.

http://myecho.liverpoolecho.co.uk/promotions/Get-tickets-for-Lennon-event/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:42:21 AM by peregrine9 »

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 08:18:35 AM »

withdrawn
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:33:07 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 10:06:43 AM »

I wonder what was said by Kevin that had to be withdrawn? I may soon have confirmation about an event at the Liverpool College of Art. Also a john Lennon pub quiz.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 10:41:48 AM »

I wonder what was said by Kevin that had to be withdrawn? I may soon have confirmation about an event at the Liverpool College of Art. Also a john Lennon pub quiz.

Hi Bill. I withdrew it myself. It's no secret I'm not Lennon's biggest fan, made a comment but thought better of it. It was more about this eternal Lennon-and-peace thing rather than anything about your celebrations. Remembering Lennon the musician is an excellent idea. But not as some 20th century Jesus/Ghandi/King  incarnate.
Twas yet another peace memorial that set me off, when maybe Lennon and mcCartneys and Dylans longest lasting contribution to western society (beyond music) was helping to convince a generation that drugs were fun and cool (and all the fall out that now goes with that.) Maybe. Damn, I've said it now.  :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:51:25 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »

... maybe Lennon and mcCartneys and Dylans longest lasting contribution to western society (beyond music) was helping to convince a generation that drugs were fun and cool (and all the fall out that now goes with that.)   :)

I don`t think that anybody thinks of drugs as something contributed by those artists... or connected with them...

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 09:40:37 AM »

The Peace Memorial wasn't the sort of permanent memorial I originally thought of. My idea was to have one which associated John with Liverpool, not something he became involved with several years later due to Yoko's influence. What I suggested was similar the to Strawberry Fields Central Park one, a huge mosaic like a disc, with 'Strawberry Fields Forever' in the centre and the names of all of John's songs in the rungs - but something associated with John and Liverpool. Jerry Goldman of the Beatles Story met the designer of the Peace Memorial in Singapore and he suggested that the Peace memorial he'd planned for Berlin could then go to Liverpool. It's unveiled next week. At least the unveiling will fit in with the John Lennon's Liverpool theme when Julian and Cynthia unveil it.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010, 09:54:13 AM »

Theres a picture of John in The Sunday Mail today on what he would look like now if he was still alive at the age of 70. He looked more like Larry David from Curb Your Enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:30:36 PM by Euan Buchan »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 1.454 seconds with 82 queries.