Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: ... with Elvis?  (Read 11683 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: ... with Elvis?
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2010, 12:30:49 PM »

I was thinking about this. Maybe The Beatles greatest contribution to popular muic was to make the self contained (writing own songs, some control over the process of their music) act the norm. Singing factory produced music chosen by a manager has not been cool since.
Dylan's was to make singing about nothing but love etc also very uncool. Ever since, acts have had to have a certain "depth" to have any cred.
And Elvis? He established the white, sexual rebel male as the template for popular music. The music itself wasn't enough. Bye bye fat old Bill Haley or black Chuck Berry as the future of rock.

I struggle to put one of these achievements over the others. Each one is essential for rock as we know it today. Though of course progress isn't always good. I guess you could make a case that popular music was just as good (maybe better) when it was being made by less image conscious acts singing professionally written love songs, rather than pretentious hippy psycho babble written by a bunch of stoned rich rock stars pretending to be something they're not.

I guess I'm thinking Elvis and The Beatles contributions to music were different but no less significant.

And I should have used the word "popularised" for all 3 above. Beatles weren't the first act to write songs, Dylan not the first to sing about something other than love and Elvis wasn't the first white boy on the scene. But I think these are the three acts that made these trends popular.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:44:34 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2011, 08:17:57 AM »

When The Beatles met Elvis Presley ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15126945

In pictures: The Beatles and Elvis Presley exhibition ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-15166951

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2011, 07:49:34 AM »

The Guardian
October4, 2011
When the Beatles met Elvis, and John Lennon put his idol's nose out of joint

Liverpool exhibition reveals what happened at the first and only meeting between the English group and the American singer.It was the meeting of two of the greatest rock'n'roll acts of the 20th century but the first, and only, rendezvous between the Beatles and Elvis Presley almost fell flat, according to a new exhibition in Liverpool. Elvis and Us, which opens to the public at the Beatles Story museum in Liverpool on Wednesday, has been co-curated with archivists from Presley's Graceland mansion in Memphis, Tennessee.The show tells the story of the band's meeting with Presley at his house in Bel Air, California, when the group were on their 1965 US summer tour.It did not start well, according to Tony Barrow, the Beatles' press officer in the 1960s. Having walked past Bentleys and Harley Davidson motorcycles into Presley's home, John Lennon got straight to the point.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/04/beatles-met-elvis-liverpool-exhibition
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans. John Lennon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 41 queries.