Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: 70's Thread  (Read 11079 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: 70's Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »

Released in 1978, one of the most achingly beautiful songs ever written in my opinion...

! No longer available

Love that one. Didn't the Moodies start doing it in concert in later years?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2015, 08:44:43 PM »

I can think of one, that's 'one', person who looked cool after 1970, and that was because he wasn't wearing the laughable clothes of the day.....Dylan as 'Alias' in 'Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid'.

http://youtu.be/gILYTdqqCo0

He scored that movie brilliantly...

http://youtu.be/_CcadC-S8-E

Adiós
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2015, 09:06:08 PM »

That picture of Bowie is a reminder of just what a tool he became and yet, in '66, he was the sharpest guy in London, and making much better music.

http://youtu.be/yDC0b7rfK5U

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »

So 70s music made me pick up my guitar and take blues lessons from Ian Buchanan.

From my lesson tapes...

http://youtu.be/--hkJi1nOQA

http://youtu.be/RmFSpOcSLNE

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2015, 09:19:18 PM »

HG how could I forget Bread. Their greatest hits album was the go to record for a while when my older brothers brought girlfriends over.

Same for me. Never worked though
don't follow leaders

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2015, 10:55:51 PM »

My favourite Eagles song (especially the guitar solo)

http://youtu.be/mpAkMk0phOs
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2015, 11:02:41 PM »

My favourite Moodies album

http://youtu.be/5LY5by6msfk
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2015, 11:38:38 PM »

That picture of Bowie is a reminder of just what a tool he became and yet, in '66, he was the sharpest guy in London, and making much better music.

Not many people had heard of him in '66; just another wannabe.

By '72/'73 he was in his creative pomp and rather than looking "a tool" he looked the part of a proper pop star. With his Ziggy facepaint, Elton and his giant specs and platform boots, Bolan and his feather boas and the sea of sequins, glitter and tinfoil which marked out the glam(orous) nature of early 70s rock/pop, showmanship reached its zenith and self respecting rock stars, when not chucking tellys out of hotel windows or driving their Rollers into swimming pools successfully reminded us they were there to dress up and entertain, glam peacocks in a glum world. What I love about the glam era is the unabashed effort acts put into cornering their own "gimmick" - Noddy Holder and his mirrored top hat, Alvin Stardust and his leather gloves, even The Rubettes and their flat caps! Gimmickry was nothing new in pop. It wasn't just their talent and charisma which set The Beatles apart a decade earlier. Brushing their hair forwards into mushroom style pudding bowls, wearing collarless suits and talking down their noses grabbed everyone's attention. They were different. Alien even. But great!! Then they pushed it on again with bright military tunics, funny glasses, moustaches etc. We should never underestimate the power of imagery and branding. That's why I found great singers like Neil Diamond...well, a bit dull to be honest. Elvis was a fabulous singer but he made sure he was a fabulous showman too. Few rock images are more iconic than the rhinestone spangled, caped jumpsuits he made his 70s trademark. I don't see any of this as embarrassing or shallow. Indeed, in the early 70s it was a refreshing V sign to the prevailing austerity.

What helped put the skids under things - at least here in the UK - wasn't punk but that bloody awful, mumbling, scruffy, amateurish thing known as "pub rock" when dullards like Dr Feelgood and Ian Dury brought everything down with a bump by looking no different to or being no more charismatic than their beer-swilling audience. They didn't want to be (or know HOW to be) STARS.

Rather the Ziggy Stardust look (absurdity is a GOOD thing in the pop world!) than, say, Phil Collins (who could pass as a minicab driver or someone from Human Resources) or subsequent shoegazers who have made zero effort to look the part of a real star.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2015, 11:46:32 PM »

The interesting question is.........

why is OBS even reading this thread ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2015, 11:55:59 PM »

People didnt dress weird in the 60's

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2015, 11:57:17 PM »

But anyway, here's my quick take on 1970 for those of us growing up in Britain at the time:

OK so The Beatles broke up but we still had Simon & Garfunkel, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull and Led Zeppelin. We heard "In The Summertime", "Yellow River", "Tears Of A Clown" and "Paranoid" for the first time. We got a new Doctor Who (Jon Pertwee) and a new Prime Minister (Ted Heath). We had toys like Etch-A-Sketch, Spirograph and that infuriatingly noisy Stylophone promoted by Rolf Harris. TV had started to go colour (mind you I never knew anyone posh enough to own a colour telly prior to 1973); There was stuff like Mary Mungo & Midge, Scooby Doo Where Are You? and Please Sir! on the box, we saw The Apollo splashdown and Gordon Banks' thrilling save in the World Cup where Pele and Brazil dazzled everyone. George Best was in his prime on the soccer pitch here at home. We saved coupons for the starving in Biafra, laughed at Monty Python's Flying Circus and grieved at the loss of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. 1970!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2015, 12:40:35 AM »

Elvis was a fabulous singer but he made sure he was a fabulous showman too. Few rock images are more iconic than the rhinestone spangled, caped jumpsuits he made his 70s trademark. I don't see any of this as embarrassing or shallow. Indeed, in the early 70s it was a refreshing V sign to the prevailing austerity.

You gotta be kidding!  Elvis Presley looked like a fool in his five inch-collared rhinestone-spangled caped jumpsuits karate chopping all over the stage and killing what used to be magnificent early rock n' roll standards, passing out scarves to old ladies in the audience...

http://youtu.be/EOivfQoFcRM

And it only got worse as the 70s went on.

Gimme back the savage 50s Elvis.  The Elvis that parents were afraid to let their children see...

http://youtu.be/W4euyTDhFnk

That was rock n' roll!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2015, 12:50:04 AM »

ha2ha  Yeah, Bowie wasn't sh*t in the 60's.  He didn't start getting recognized and big until he started being a tool. 

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2015, 01:18:53 AM »

My favourite Eagles song (especially the guitar solo)

http://youtu.be/mpAkMk0phOs

Mine is Already Gone...

http://youtu.be/sccSfsL8et8

They didn't need two pounds of make-up, glitter and mirrored hats.  They went on stage in tee shirts and jeans playing superb harmony guitar and singing perfect multi-part harmony vocals at the same time.

Alright, nighty night!

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2015, 01:28:52 AM »

You gotta be kidding!  Elvis Presley looked like a fool in his five inch-collared rhinestone-spangled caped jumpsuits karate chopping all over the stage and killing what used to be magnificent early rock n' roll standards, passing out scarves to old ladies in the audience...

And it only got worse as the 70s went on.

Gimme back the savage 50s Elvis.  The Elvis that parents were afraid to let their children see...

That was rock n' roll!

No, what WOULD have looked ridiculous would have been Presley trying to replicate the snarling hillbilly cat, hip swivelling his way through the choreography of Jailhouse Rock as a man approaching 40. Like you I love the raw, electrifying young Elvis but to have tried to be that by the time of Aloha in Hawaii would have been embarrassing and pathetic. Instead, he emerged from his horribly shallow, plastic Hollywood 1960s to re-invent himself (tongue more than a little in cheek) as the rhinestone spangled King, who, OK, felt obliged to pay lip service to a medley of his Fifties hits but who truly blew us away with powerhouse performances of "Suspicious Minds", "In The Ghetto", "I Just Can't Help Believin'", "Always On My Mind", "American Trilogy" etc etc etc... perfect for the 1970s and showcasing Elvis as the superstar he had become. The twentysomething Presley would have struggled to give those wonderful numbers the gravity and power delivered by 70s Elvis.

I love the raw, unpolished and savage young Beatles of Hamburg but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the splendour of four moustachioed hippies wearing satin embroidered tunics behind a 1967 recording console with an orchestra waiting in the wings. Every bit as cool in its own way and had those leather-clad young Scouse scallies been time-bombed six years into their own future they would have found themselves way out of their depth!

KelMar

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2015, 01:59:40 AM »

People didnt dress weird in the 60's

But Kev, with the exception of the God of Hellfire there at the end, the clothes in the sixties weren't scary. They were gorgeous! Just look at those colors.

KelMar

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2015, 02:10:08 AM »

Think back to a few years ago when I posted about fitting my drunk sister and her friend Michelle into my MGB after picking them up from a Bowie concert at Madison Square Garden.  Twenty miles of non-stop "Rebel, Rebel your face is a mess!"  I guess they had a good time.

That was a cute story and I've always wondered how your sister did the next morning. I know you didn't tell on her but a hangover surely would!

The glam rockers never appealed to me. They seemed scary and not cute at all. I liked guys that would look good hanging on my bedroom walls. Those other guys would have given me nightmares. LOL

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2015, 02:26:17 AM »

No, what WOULD have looked ridiculous would have been Presley trying to replicate the snarling hillbilly cat, hip swivelling his way through the choreography of Jailhouse Rock as a man approaching 40. Like you I love the raw, electrifying young Elvis but to have tried to be that by the time of Aloha in Hawaii would have been embarrassing and pathetic. Instead, he emerged from his horribly shallow, plastic Hollywood 1960s to re-invent himself (tongue more than a little in cheek) as the rhinestone spangled King, who, OK, felt obliged to pay lip service to a medley of his Fifties hits but who truly blew us away with powerhouse performances of "Suspicious Minds", "In The Ghetto", "I Just Can't Help Believin'", "Always On My Mind", "American Trilogy" etc etc etc... perfect for the 1970s and showcasing Elvis as the superstar he had become. The twentysomething Presley would have struggled to give those wonderful numbers the gravity and power delivered by 70s Elvis.

I love the raw, unpolished and savage young Beatles of Hamburg but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the splendour of four moustachioed hippies wearing satin embroidered tunics behind a 1967 recording console with an orchestra waiting in the wings. Every bit as cool in its own way and had those leather-clad young Scouse scallies been time-bombed six years into their own future they would have found themselves way out of their depth!

No.  He could have put on a good act without the jumpsuit and scarves.  He could have sung the songs you mentioned and others like Burning Love and perform his early standards in addition.  His voice was still good in the 70s and he didn't have to resort to that type of showmanship which detracted from his singing abilities.  He was capable of and did sing his ballads without the karate chops and laughing even though he was in his sequined regalia.  The jumpsuits didn't go with rock n' roll which he still was capable of singing.  But, yes, he did succeed in reinventing himself in some way which appealed to the same 50s kids' parents who were afraid of him fifteen years before.  I'm just not sure how happy he was doing that.   

The Beatles were an entirely different story.  We were watching them evolve during the 60s and influencing the direction of music as they did so.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2015, 02:33:33 AM »

That was a cute story and I've always wondered how your sister did the next morning. I know you didn't tell on her but a hangover surely would!

They were both hung over and looked like crap when they woke up the following afternoon.  Michelle asked my sister how they got home to which my sister answered "I dunno."

My parents got home the following day and they both looked normal by then.

KelMar

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2015, 02:41:10 AM »

^^^

Oh, so that's how they pulled it off. Ugh, just thinking of it makes me feel queasy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.893 seconds with 82 queries.