Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lady Madonna remaster - great or not?  (Read 11259 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Lady Madonna remaster - great or not?
« on: October 23, 2009, 05:02:45 PM »

Hi - I have always been really really really disappointed with the bass guitar on the 80's CD version of this song. My mind expects a clean powerful bass like on "Hey Bulldog", and it just comes out all mud.

If this song sounds gobs better on the remasters, I'll think harder about buying sooner. BTW, if you are answering that there is a big difference - mono or stereo remaster?

Thanks!  :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
Re: Lady Madonna remaster - great or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »

sounding 'better' is subjective. But on the Stereo remasters, in general, the bass and drums are more evident.

If you like bass, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 03:28:45 PM »

My first reaction to hearing about the remasters was that it was a vanity purchase for audiophile beatle collectors.

After reading so many of these threads, my opinion has changed. thanks

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 03:29:05 PM »

Just do what I do and skip the song altogether.

(Joking, but I never did like that song.)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 07:28:38 PM »

Right!!

So, has anyone on this forum actually heard Lady Madonna on either of the new remaster sets?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:49:49 AM »

Bumping, hoping to get an opinion from a remaster owner - thanks!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:08:40 AM »

I've not listened carefully enough to this song yet to give you a detailed opinion.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 12:23:21 AM »

I've not listened carefully enough to this song yet to give you a detailed opinion.

OK, thanks, Bobber.

Maybe I'll bump this every week or so ... Lady Madonna on the old CDs is truly one of my biggest Beatles heartaches (specifically, how the bass guitar sounds), I'd love to hear if has turned out to be much nicer on the new remasters.

Thanks!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 12:43:24 AM »

Alexis, you can judge for yourself with these:

23 - Lady Madonna - The Beatles Remastered (2009) Past Masters [Stereo]

THE BEATLES Remasters! /// 5. Lady Madonna - (MONO MASTERS Vol.2) (MONO Remastered 2009)

The second is the remastered mono version (mp4).
I can stay till it's time to go

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 12:57:11 AM »

Oh, goody, Hello Goodbye - I can't wait to go home and listen (no youtube at work  :(  )  -

I really can't wait - thanks!!!  :) :)

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 01:45:20 AM »

Alexis, you can judge for yourself with these:

23 - Lady Madonna - The Beatles Remastered (2009) Past Masters [Stereo]

THE BEATLES Remasters! /// 5. Lady Madonna - (MONO MASTERS Vol.2) (MONO Remastered 2009)

The second is the remastered mono version (mp4).

Here is the "old" version - I THINK - off of youtube. I say this because it doesn't say remaster 2009 or anything.
The Beatles - Lady Madonna

Comparative comments to follow ...

I'm listening to this on some free standing but small speakers with a subwoofer - and to me the bass on all three sounds muddy, like it's saturating the tape or something. I.e., not much different on the remaster.

So, what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:54:43 AM by alexis »
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 03:38:55 AM »

alexis, I agree with you.  I wanted you to listen for yourself and not bias your opinion with that of my own.

I've already listened to Lady Madonna on my 1987 stereo, 2009 remastered mono, and 2009 remastered stereo CDs and do not find any difference in the clarity of Paul's bass.  I personally think the "muddy" bass, as you describe it, lends itself to the song and was meant to be that way.  The piano sounds honky tonk as well and I remember Paul once describing this song as his "early Elvis imitation."

So don't be too disappointed with this particular song as it appears in the rematered CDs.  The overall quality of the remastered stereo CDs is a bit better than the 1987 CDs when you listen to them on a decent stereo system.  The remastered mono version of Lady Madonna is nice, but it's the first time we're really hearing it that way.

It's still one helluva song!
I can stay till it's time to go

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 05:55:03 PM »

alexis, I agree with you.  I wanted you to listen for yourself and not bias your opinion with that of my own.

I've already listened to Lady Madonna on my 1987 stereo, 2009 remastered mono, and 2009 remastered stereo CDs and do not find any difference in the clarity of Paul's bass.  I personally think the "muddy" bass, as you describe it, lends itself to the song and was meant to be that way.  The piano sounds honky tonk as well and I remember Paul once describing this song as his "early Elvis imitation."

So don't be too disappointed with this particular song as it appears in the rematered CDs.  The overall quality of the remastered stereo CDs is a bit better than the 1987 CDs when you listen to them on a decent stereo system.  The remastered mono version of Lady Madonna is nice, but it's the first time we're really hearing it that way.

It's still one helluva song!

Yes it is!  Thanks for the help on this one, HelloGoodbye!!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 06:06:53 PM »

The bass on this particular track was recorded throught the same amp as George and John's guitar amp. I think the 'fuzzy' bass is a feature of the recording and no amount of remastering will change it.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 01:59:41 PM »

My comments in red...

The bass on this particular track was recorded throught the same amp as George and John's guitar amp. [Wow, that is something that even an amateur musician with very little studio time under their belt wouldn't spend much time on! There's a reason bass guitars have their own special amps - they play at frequencies only half that of regular guitars, and the regular guitar amps aren't built to transmit those lower frequencies. I can understand experimenting, but to me it's not really a "fuzz" bass like on "Think for Yourself", it's just a "smeared" bass. ] I think the 'fuzzy' bass is a feature [..."Feature" - that's one word for it!! "YES!!! We have a winner - first prize!!! - One week in FABULOUS Hoboken, New Jersey!!  And here's our second place winner, congratulations to him too, TWO weeks in Hoboken, New Jersey!!] of the recording and no amount of remastering will change it.

Ah well, I guess an experiment by Mr. McCartney and (?) Mr. Emerick - not vetoed by the other Beatles ... and never repeated in either the Beatles or solo McCartney canon. I'm just reallly bummed because in my head I can hear a really crisp bass guitar (like on Penny Lane, or maybe even Hey Bulldog) really kicking this song into an even higher gear ...  :'(

I wonder if Paul has ever commented on it?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:33:41 PM by alexis »
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 73 queries.