Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - Sgt. Peppers  (Read 64360 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Beatles under a microscope - Sgt. Peppers
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2017, 11:42:53 PM »

thanks folks for the resurrection.  These are so fun to read, even again.  Thanks Todd for doing these over the years.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2017, 12:40:53 AM »

thanks folks for the resurrection.  These are so fun to read, even again.  Thanks Todd for doing these over the years.

Yes
I enjoyed reading about Barry's alternative recordings again
Very bizarro
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2018, 12:08:01 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oLOiwq5I3Q" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oLOiwq5I3Q</a>
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2023, 01:12:36 AM »

Sorry to dredge up an oldish thread but just wanted to say how much more appreciative I am now of ‘She’s Leaving Home.’  For decades I prolly dismissed it as Macca sap stuff but recently it gets played quite often on Beatles Radio. I suddenly realised just how damn good it is!!  Just beautifully put together. The highlight for me is John’s response vocals - simply superb. I was doing my workout this morn and it came on Beatles Radio and I found myself singing along lol.

While I’m here, I’ve started writing a Beatles fan fic screenplay that has been in my head since 2010!  It’s called Benedict Canyon and is a dreamy look at that week the boys stayed there in 1965. It’s written as found footage with some invented backstory. You have to write these type of scripts in a different way and I’m enjoying not stressing over plot points and such as in my normal scripts.

Did I mention  it will have songs in it? Lol yep you will have a playlist of 6 songs set to play at certain intervals in the script as you read it. I may even be able to imbed the music into the finished pdf.  Anyway I’ll keep you posted on the progress. It will only be like 40 pages or so depending on how carried away I get lol.  Later my Beatle mates

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2023, 01:39:13 AM »

i love good fan fiction, share when you are ready please

In My Life

• A Beginning
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2023, 06:21:05 AM »

Your screenplay sounds great, Stevie!

I completely agree with your assessment of She’s Leaving Home. I think for many it’s a song that may require a certain depth of life experience before it resonates. I heard it just tonight and thought how insightful these lyrics are, especially considering that the writer was only 24 years old!

The story of Paul’s inspiration for the song is pretty well known but this additional insight from Paul in 2021 was new to me:

“ In addition to the newspaper report, I’m pretty sure another influence was The Wednesday Play. It was a weekly television play that often addressed ‘big’ social issues. It’s the kind of thing people would be discussing at the bus stop on Thursday morning. It was a very important part of the week. One of the most famous of these plays was Cathy Come Home, directed by Ken Loach. It’s a play about homelessness that a quarter of the UK population watched the night it was broadcast in November 1966.

When we recorded ‘She’s Leaving Home’ it was almost like a shooting script for The Wednesday Play. ‘Clutching her handkerchief/Quietly turning the backdoor key’. On oner hand we have the narrator who’s describing the action (‘She’s leaving home’), and then there are a couple of people in the spotlight, a mini Greek chorus, who fade in and out (‘We gave her most of our lives’). There was a line in that style – ‘Is this all the thanks that we get?’ – which somehow didn’t make the final cut.” Paul McCartney, The Lyrics: 1956 To The Present

https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/shes-leaving-home/

I’m kind of bummed that newspapers.com does not have The Daily Mail in its archives because I wanted to see the article in context, like Paul saw it, but I did find this:

https://www.the-paulmccartney-project.com/song/shes-leaving-home/

That photo caption is interesting. Did she really just happen to get that photo taken the same day that she she took off?  ;D

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2023, 10:09:23 AM »

I think for many it’s a song that may require a certain depth of life experience before it resonates.

I was 15 when I first heard it and it certainly resonated with me.

How could you leave home and have fun without upsetting your parents and suffering their reproaches?

A true dilemma for many.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGL4b25AJpM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGL4b25AJpM</a>

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2023, 12:22:33 PM »

Just to add a couple of things to my new found love of SLH lol:

There is a kind of contradiction in the lyrics - the parents say they gave their daughter everything money could buy - which indicates to me they were well off. But later they say they struggled all their lives to get by. I dunno, it might be me over analysing but it seems odd lol

And we’ve all heard the myth or legend the ‘man from the motor trade’ is a doctor doing an abortion for the girl leaving home. I was kind of hoping it was true simply because it adds a surreal even very dark element to the song, as it would be controversial back then. It’s a bit like the claims that at the end of Norwegian Wood the guy burns down the apartment - it’s dark and nasty but we Beatle fans think it’s sort of cool lol

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2023, 01:36:47 PM »

There is a kind of contradiction in the lyrics - the parents say they gave their daughter everything money could buy - which indicates to me they were well off. But later they say they struggled all their lives to get by. I dunno, it might be me over analysing but it seems odd lol

I've noted that as well and wonder whether the parents were referring to their own childhoods. Perhaps their families struggled financially and wanted to give their child a better life than they had growing up. I've also thought that the parents come across rather selfish (perhaps self-involved is a better word). They seem to focus only on themselves and their self-perceived "victimhood" and not, perhaps, on what they may have done to cause their daughter to just take off like that.

OK, I am definitely overanalyzing. 

I truly love this song. When I was younger I tended to sort of dismiss it as Paul pap, but I've grown to genuinely appreciate its ethereal beauty. The harps are just  . . .  exquisite.

The highlight for me is John’s response vocals - simply superb.

I agree. And I've always perceived that part as a Greek chorus, as Kelley noted that Paul said.

Please do share your fanfiction when it's ready, stevie. 

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2023, 09:45:16 PM »

It may not be till after Easter as I’m a slow writer lol   I write by hand first then copy to the script software on my laptop. But I’ll try and pull my finger out as I’m truly immersed in it now.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2023, 10:22:36 PM »

I've noted that as well and wonder whether the parents were referring to their own childhoods. Perhaps their families struggled financially and wanted to give their child a better life than they had growing up.
OK, I am definitely overanalyzing. 

That’s how I interpreted it too. Very common at that time as many parents had depression era childhoods.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 12:00:57 AM by Moogmodule »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2023, 11:11:35 PM »

Just to add a couple of things to my new found love of SLH lol:

And we’ve all heard the myth or legend the ‘man from the motor trade’ is a doctor doing an abortion for the girl leaving home. I was kind of hoping it was true simply because it adds a surreal even very dark element to the song, as it would be controversial back then. It’s a bit like the claims that at the end of Norwegian Wood the guy burns down the apartment - it’s dark and nasty but we Beatle fans think it’s sort of cool lol

You have to remember that Paul had passed by this time and fake Paul wasn't a songwriter. John wrote the whole thing.
He had many regrets after Pauls demise and wrote a "leaving" song. (John's analogy of someone dying). The song is like an epitaph for Paul but in typical John style it's true meaning is hidden down a rabbit hole.

"We never thought of ourselves, never a thought for ourselves" (allowing Paul to be a solo star doing Yesterday alone on stage)

"We struggled hard all our lives to get by" (all those hundreds of hours of graft in Germany)

"Fun is the one thing that money can't buy"  (Paul was finally rich but wasn't happy).

"She's leaving home" (She is a He, home is The Beatles).

;D ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2023, 12:00:02 AM »

You’ve convinced me.  :)

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2023, 07:37:49 AM »

Lol Kev!!

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2023, 03:22:21 AM »

Hi guys   Sorry to bump this but didn’t want to start a new thread.

I have finished my fan fiction script called Benedict Canyon.  Just need to tweak it a little tonight. It has a playlist of 8 songs - at a certain point a few pages in, the reader starts the playlist and just has going while they continue the read (which will be 50 odd pages). Making the list on Spotify would be the best option then just have it playing on a speaker while you read.

It has some emotional stuff in it, especially the final scene. A lot of the dialogue obviously is created but I’ve tried to write the fiction in a way our lads would speak lol. It has some really funny lines too.

I’ll post it by the end of the week!  Should I create a new thread in say, the film section?  Or just in Different Conversations?   I have written some cool scripts recently, about killed sharks, zombies and the like. But this is certainly my ambitious script and one that is close to my heart. I cannot wait to share it with you wonderful folk from around the world
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 03:24:31 AM by stevie »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Page created in 0.652 seconds with 70 queries.