Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bill Harry  (Read 63266 times)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
Bill Harry
« on: January 17, 2008, 11:32:57 AM »

Marshall has been on to me for some time to join a forum so that I can answer questions from Beatles fans. I must admit that I'm something of a recluse these days. I do get asked to become involved in various things, but I have to be careful. I have only been to one or two conventions because friends specifically asked me, but I haven't been to many. I also write a great deal for various Beatles fanzines - literally hundreds of articles over the decades and, of course, I never charge because they are friends and also to help out whenever I can. But, as I said, I have to be careful. for some reason you do get the people who say I am 'cashing in on the Beatles.' In fact, I notice one comment to that effect in the forum on Mersey Beatles.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Bill Harry
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 11:48:40 AM »

bill if anyone deserves to cash in on the beatles,i am sure you would be included...there are some factors that earn you the rights to do such...so don't let some random moron tint your veiw towards the rest of us....thanks for climbing on board...i would love to shank off work and post and read more but the bills gotta be paid
peace marshall

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 12:36:28 PM »

On behalf of the management of this theatre, welcome Bill. I sincerely hope you enjoy your stay here!

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 12:43:05 PM »

Welcome to the board, Bill.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:12:50 AM »

Its great to have you here Bill. Welcome and I hope you stay awhile.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 03:40:58 AM »

welcome to the forum bill, hope you have fun :)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 11:23:28 AM »

I'm still trying to get the hang of figuring this out as I've never been on a forum in my life. Marshall and Bobber are helping me, so I hope to work it out with a bit of practice.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 11:29:14 AM »

I've been busily detailing the stories from each individual issue of Mersey Beat and posting them on the www.rockandpopshop.com site. They are in the Editorial section under 'Bill Harry's Mersey Beat.' There are individual tales of my time with John, Brian Epstein and information on all the Mersey groups of the time, the venues they played and some funny stories. I hope you like them.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »

Quote from: 1062
I'm still trying to get the hang of figuring this out as I've never been on a forum in my life. Marshall and Bobber are helping me, so I hope to work it out with a bit of practice.

So far so good Bill.  ;D

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 11:36:51 AM »

cool you are rolling along again...just take your time bill we will have you posting like an old pro in just a few days....you'll be posting pictures and maybe even videos....this as i told you will be monumentous...maybe ever bigger than paul mccartney and eings  ;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 11:49:16 AM »

I've been busily detailing the stories from each individual issue of Mersey Beat and posting them on the www.rockandpopshop.com site. They are in the Editorial section under 'Bill Harry's Mersey Beat.' There are individual tales of my time with John, Brian Epstein and information on all the Mersey groups of the time, the venues they played and some funny stories. I hope you like them.

Thanks Bill! I look forward to reading them.

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 11:54:40 AM »

Bill, can you help us out on collecting more information on Lord Woodbine here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/b-fifths/m-1177584536/

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 12:09:41 PM »

Welcome aboard. Good to have you here.
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 12:24:31 PM »

Tip of that again to you sir. ;) Glad Marshall helped you to find your way here.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 02:23:14 PM »

It's great to have you here Bill!! :)

I have a copy of your book that featured facsimile pages from Mersey Beat - it really is a fascinating read, I especially love those adverts that John Lennon placed! Did he pay for those himelf, or did you have a hand in them?

Once again welcome ;D

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 04:22:46 PM »

Yes. It wasn't enough that I was printing his 'Beatcomber' columns, he was thirsty for more of his humour in print. Classifieds cost 4d a word and when he'd come into the office he'd dig into his pockets to see how much money he had

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 05:29:27 PM »

Hi Bill. Hope you don't mind all these questions. What are your thoughts on Pete Best? Did his personality really set him apart from the others?  
don't follow leaders

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 06:43:26 PM »

I always liked Pete, but he was a man of few words. I remember when we used to sit around in the Jacaranda and I tried to interview him and found it initially difficult because he didn't seem to have much to say. But to me that was his personality - taciturn. Actor Gary Cooper was the same way - a few words, but the personality was there. Perhaps that is why Bob Wooler referred to him as 'mean,moody and magnificence' (I know that came from the film 'The Outlaw'). but he was always a nice and friendly guy. The girls went mad because he hardly said anything. It gave him a sort of mysterious air. There is no doubt that he was definately the most popular member of the Beatles with the Liverpool girls during 1961 and 1962. As you know, girls used to sleep in his garden just to be near him. Bob Wooler, reckoning Pete's popularity, did the most unusual thing. He had Pete moved to the front of the stage with his drums, with the other three behind him. It was unprecedented, but the girls rushed forward and pulled him off the stage. It hadn't happened before with any of the others. They couldn't repeat the experience.

manon

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 11:29:16 PM »

I always liked Pete, but he was a man of few words. I remember when we used to sit around in the Jacaranda and I tried to interview him and found it initially difficult because he didn't seem to have much to say. But to me that was his personality - taciturn. Actor Gary Cooper was the same way - a few words, but the personality was there. Perhaps that is why Bob Wooler referred to him as 'mean,moody and magnificence' (I know that came from the film 'The Outlaw'). but he was always a nice and friendly guy. The girls went mad because he hardly said anything. It gave him a sort of mysterious air. There is no doubt that he was definately the most popular member of the Beatles with the Liverpool girls during 1961 and 1962. As you know, girls used to sleep in his garden just to be near him. Bob Wooler, reckoning Pete's popularity, did the most unusual thing. He had Pete moved to the front of the stage with his drums, with the other three behind him. It was unprecedented, but the girls rushed forward and pulled him off the stage. It hadn't happened before with any of the others. They couldn't repeat the experience.

Welcome and thank you Bill for your implication on this forum.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 05:46:27 AM »

Wow, tha5's incredible. I wonder how much of his departure was because of his drumming, vs. jealousy on the part of Paul and John ...
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 1.236 seconds with 81 queries.