Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blisters  (Read 7387 times)

Mrs.Nicholson

• Getting Better
  • Jack Nicholson~Gorgous actor~pure sexiness
    • Deranged89
Blisters
« on: April 03, 2005, 04:24:39 PM »

Guess what, I heard on the radio this morning, the rock station I listen to. They said it was Ringo who said, "I've got blisters on my fingers!!!"

But I guess you guys all know that :-/ :-/
Jack is a taurus
I am a cancer
These two star signs are a match made in heaven
Jack and I are ment for each other

Soft_Guitar60

• Getting Better
  • surrender to the void
    • Beatlemania
Re: Blisters
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 09:10:23 PM »

They played Helter Skelter on the radio? Anyway, I knew it was Ringo...

Mushmouth

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 01:40:38 AM »

Yeah, interesting how he would get blisters on his fingers from playing drums, unless it wasnt from the drumset.......
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we pass the audition.

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 05:43:13 AM »

I also heard it was ringo, though it was John o_O

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 06:25:15 AM »

Quote from: Sie_Liebt_Dich
I also heard it was ringo, though it was John o_O

You're joking, right?

Ringo it was. You can tell because it's Ringo's voice.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 08:04:59 AM »

Thought this was a cool article on the song. I can't believe "I Can See For Miles" was the song that was supposed to be so loud! It's actually kinda mellow for a Who song! Bono's statement cracks me up. This is a very cool song. I have to listen to the Helther now.

WikipediaHelter Skelter
This article is about the Beatles song. For other things with this name, see Helter Skelter (disambiguation).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Helter Skelter" is the title of a song by Paul McCartney (though credited to Lennon/McCartney) recorded by the Beatles on their 1968 self-titled album, also known as The White Album. For a brief time, the working lyric of the song was "Heather Leather", and the pronunciation varies throughout the song. Careful listening reveals that McCartney never sings "helter skelter" but always "helther" with th, and pronounces "skelter" 4 times, but also unmistakingly twice says "leather."

McCartney got the idea for the song after reading a newspaper review of the Who's latest single, most likely "I Can See For Miles." The review described the single as the loudest, wildest song ever recorded with distorted guitars, tons of reverb, and screaming. McCartney took it as a challenge to write something louder. "Helter Skelter" was the result. Some feel that this song was a key influence in the creation of the heavy metal music subgenre.

Musically, the song is, indeed, loud: the song opens suddenly with a repeated, distorted guitar chord; McCartney's screamed vocal comes in quickly with the introductory lyric and the full band joins in as the first instance of the refrain occurs. The tone of the song is aggressive and frightening; the music seems ready to veer out of control at any moment. The lyrics of the song are a somewhat hallucinogenic evocation of activity on a children's playground, providing an ironic contrast to the tone of the music.

In December 1968, Charles Manson heard this song, and others from the White Album, and interpreted them as a warning of an approaching racial conflict. In Manson's mind, the Beatles were the four angels mentioned in the New Testament book of Revelation. He believed the Beatles songs were telling him and his followers to prepare for the coming holocaust. Manson referred to this future uprising as "Helter Skelter". The words "Healter Skelter" [sic] were also written in blood at the scene of one of the Manson Family murders.

Because of this connection, Los Angeles assistant District Attorney Vincent Bugliosi, who led the prosecution of Manson and the other killers, named his best selling book about the murders Helter Skelter. Bugliosi's book was the basis for a film of the same title.

During the July 18, 1968 sessions, a version of the song clocking in at 27 minutes and 11 seconds was recorded, although this version is rather slow and hypnotic, differing greatly from the cacophany of raw volume of the album version. Another recording from the same day was edited down to 4:37 for inclusion on The Beatles Anthology, Volume III. For the album version, recorded on September 9, twenty-one takes of approximately five minutes were recorded, and the last one is featured on the official LP. The sheer intensity of these takes was so high that Ringo's shout of "I've got blisters on my fingers!" accompanies the musical fadeout.

In 1988, rock band U2 recorded the song in concert for their Rattle and Hum movie and album. Bono's introduction to the song was "This is a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles. We're stealing it back."

For Oasis' 4th album

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »

That's the trouble with wikipedia - there's a LOT of rubbish in there.

The author clearly doesn't know what a "helter skelter" is. And as for "Heather Leather" - where do these ridiculous ideas come from?

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 10:17:37 PM »

Just in case anyone isn't familiar with this British term for a a type of slide usually found at travelling fun-fairs or carnivals, here's a picture of one:

Mushmouth

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 03:57:35 AM »

I love listening to that song and waiting for the end of it to anticipate ringos part :)
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we pass the audition.

joan was quizzical

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 01:29:42 AM »

Hang on, just to clarify: the slide is called a Helter Skelter?

~ missy

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 02:56:55 AM »

Quote from: joan_was_quizzical
Hang on, just to clarify: the slide is called a Helter Skelter?

Yes.

slick rick

• Getting Better
  • bakers dozen
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 03:18:15 AM »

when i get to the bottom i go back to the top of the slide then i see you again
well its saturday night and i just got paid

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 03:20:12 AM »

Quote from: Mushmouth
Yeah, interesting how he would get blisters on his fingers from playing drums, unless it wasnt from the drumset.......

Drummers are prone to many blisters if they play for extended periods of time. Even after  callosous get built up, your hands and fingers will bleed.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 01:36:36 PM »

Quote from: tkitna

Drummers are prone to many blisters if they play for extended periods of time. Even after

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 01:00:39 AM »

i also believe it is a sea-term. read it in moby dick :-)
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 04:14:58 AM »

Quote from: lennonlemon
i also believe it is a sea-term. read it in moby dick :-)

You gotta love the 'auto-censor'. Yes, the classic book 'Moby Private'. Sounds like he's a double-agent.

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 12:23:14 AM »

lol
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

slick rick

• Getting Better
  • bakers dozen
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 10:50:10 AM »

poor herman
well its saturday night and i just got paid

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 05:02:34 AM »

Quote from: The_End
Just in case anyone isn't familiar with this British term for a a type of slide usually found at travelling fun-fairs or carnivals, here's a picture of one:

That's it?!?!

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 06:19:51 AM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn

You're joking, right?

Ringo it was. You can tell because it's Ringo's voice.

no I wasn't...like i said i though it was John  ;D
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 86 queries.