Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Where do you stand on this ?  (Read 19869 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Where do you stand on this ?
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 02:40:10 AM »

At least in the 1987 version of Sgt. Pepper's the line "it was 20 years ago today" is true. ;D

Yes!

I can stay till it's time to go

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 04:21:19 AM »

Yes!

Am I wrong or that CD was realeased on June 1, 1987, exactly 20 years after?
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 04:26:38 AM »

Yes, the CD was released exactly 20 years after the LP.

June 1, 1967 and June 1, 1987.  It was the very first CD I bought.  I bought a Sony Discman that day too.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »

I have a 1987 CD of Sgt. Pepper's made in U.S.A., with a square booklet that fits in the jewel case. I know there's another version with a bigger rectangle booklet, that is separated from the jewel case. I guess that my version is the original one released in June 1, 1987.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »

I have a 1987 CD of Sgt. Pepper's made in U.S.A., with a square booklet that fits in the jewel case. I know there's another version with a bigger rectangle booklet, that is separated from the jewel case. I guess that my version is the original one released in June 1, 1987.

Yes it is.  My USA CD is like yours with the booklet inside the jewel case.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 07:38:32 PM »

That was my very first CD too. I couldn't afford a CD player until a month or two later, so I couldn't even play it. I had another place to play it, and at the time I thought it was awesome. I think my ears have matured, and I listen differently now.

I personally absolutely love the remasters, I waited for them for many years, I downloaded the Ebbets ones and the De-noizer ones but the official ones are better imo, Ive spent quite a bit of time messing with recording gear and its indoctrinated in me that clearer and cleaner is always better, the albums sound fresh and wonderful for me, I can hear more what theyre doing and it is a fact that my ears are not as good as they used to be
I have stereo & mono sets and love them both.

I think the 87 CD's sounded worse than the vinyl (UK pressing vinyl that is)

I agree. I edited out of your post, nimrod, what applies to you and left what I can agree with.

As I said in an earlier post, I like what McCartney is doing with his catalog. I am getting the Hi-Res versions and making CDs from the Un-Limited versions. They sound really good.

I like the way the new remasters sound. If I had a complaint it would be that they are just a touch loud. I think when they were remastered they were very cautious, and were very light-handed. I don't know that the remasters are perfect, but I think they did a good job. I won't complain.

Todd, you should give the remasters a good chance. Listen to them on some nice equipment. I think you would be pleased.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 11:43:35 PM »

Todd, you should give the remasters a good chance. Listen to them on some nice equipment. I think you would be pleased.

I'm sure your right. I just need to make time.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 10:53:14 PM »

June 1, 1967 and June 1, 1987.  It was the very first CD I bought.  I bought a Sony Discman that day too.

What did you think of it at first? Did you think it was an improvement, sound wise?
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 11:13:23 PM »

What did you think of it at first? Did you think it was an improvement, sound wise?

Not at first because I used the earphones that came with it.  But when I bought RCA cables and hooked it up to my stereo I noticed the improvement in clarity.  There were no pops and crackles and I was amazed by that.  But I soon realized that a lot of the warmth of vinyl was missing.

That's why I took good care of my turntable and LPs over the years.  When I want to experience an album the way I first heard it, I listen to the LP. 

The 1987 Sgt Pepper stereo CD was great by 1980s standards.  The 2009 MONO remaster is a significant improvement.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 12:02:05 AM »

Oh!  And on the 2009 MONO Sgt Pepper Remaster you can tell it was definitely Paul!   ;)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »

Um well the remasters are way better than the sh*tty 1987 CDs I listened to when I was first getting into the Beatles and I'm glad that they exist for young people who are just getting into the Beatles and don't have access to the original recordings for whatever reason.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

walrusgumboot

• Bootleg Members
  • A Beginning
  • Watch the footwork baby !
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2011, 04:28:15 PM »

Just in case anyone is interested of an oldies wiewpoint ( 62 next)..here's an article I wrote for Ear Candy in September 2009....

A Review of The Beatles'
2009 mono and stereo Remasters
By Walrus Gumboot

Having read comments on various forums about rips, tears and even missing CDs, it appears that my decision to order the Boxed Sets from Beatles.com might have been the correct one.

It only cost £20 more than from places like Amazon. They arrived this morning in two sturdy cardboard boxes fastened with that tough brown parcel tape. Inside were the boxes wrapped in four layers of bubble-wrap? The boxes themselves were shrink- wrapped and made of laminated tough cardboard including the sleeve for the Stereo Box.

I opened the Mono Box first…each CD was in a re-sealable plastic sleeve and the covers themselves were again made of cardboard and included a facsimile of the original vinyl album sleeve and another semi transparent sleeve to protect from scratching. All round a superb job. The Stereo came next and is in itself a work of art. A tall box in a sleeve which opens to reveal 2 compartments separated by a plastic divider, holding the albums, each one shrink-wrapped. The sleeves are the same quality as the Mono set.

To criticize the way in which this has been put together smacks of nit picking, but personally there are a few things that I would have liked to seen done differently. Firstly…why couldn't the Mono box have had the same design as the Stereo…after all this is the set aimed at the collectors? Why couldn't the Stereo set have had the same re-sealable plastic covers as the Mono and also included the inner sleeves etc? Minor points I know and of course it's a personal opinion, and maybe others are entirely happy with them the way they are.

My sets (CDs) were manufactured in the EU...exact country not known, but the packaging was all made and printed in the UK. Despite what a lot of us were hoping for, the sets do not appear to be numbered, not even the White Albums. And of course there are no bonus tracks, unless you count the original stereo mixes of Help and Rubber Soul which are actually on the Mono Discs. Many had been prophesying that we would at the very least have a snippet of Carnival of Light....

So what about the sound? Now this is where any review becomes entirely subjective…after all we are all different ages and hear things (even the same natural sounds) differently. As one becomes older the first thing to go is the lower register which affects your ability to hear bass and deep sounds…maybe that's why the 1987 CDs sounded so harsh and brittle after George Martin had "digitally remastered" them. My system will be different from  anyone else’s and Speaker Placement, size of room and any one of a number of things can and do affect what comes out of the woofers and tweeters for your aural enjoyment.

So... how do they compare with first of all the 1987 CDs? This is a no contest...the Remasters win on all fronts. It's like the difference between a black and white TV, and my Panasonic 42" plasma.

Some have said, elsewhere that they prefer the vinyl and that it is still better. ( I still LOVE my vinyl)r...they are certainly different from the original LPs. For a start the warmth that you get from vinyl is missing, but they make up for that in their own way…no snap crackle or pop for example...on the minus side however purists will notice that one or two things have been sacrificed for the sake of aural clarity including the " chair" sound at the end of A Day In The Life.

Another forum has had a thread running discussing whether or not the good Doctors needle drops are superior to the remasters...the majority say yes. In my opinion this is nothing more than elitism. I have a number of originals from the Doc so was able to do an AB comparison. As good as they are they do not come anywhere near the standard of the Remasters.

It is not my intention to review each and every track or compare Mono to Stereo - each of us will have their own particular preference - although I will say that, for example, the first two albums have a quaint naivety in stereo, but literally attempt to wreck your speakers in mono.

In this weekend’s newspapers there were a number of reviews varying from the cloth eared to the modern equivalent of William Mann with his "Aeolian cadences". Perhaps the best was from Ken Kessler who is editor of a UK Hi Fi Magazine - his quote that "To appreciate the magnitude of the challenge, think of it as on a par with an art restorer cleaning a begrimed Turner. " probably sums it all up.

Those responsible for these discs have brought out subtle nuances in the vocals, enhanced the background and cleared away the sonic dirt which we knew all along was hiding even more brilliant music.

I believe that in years to come, these new discs, will be seen as the definitive versions.

If you haven't got them, then beg, borrow or steal, but whatever you do, don't let them pass you by.

Walrus Gumboot

Copyright SLG 2009
Tuned to a Natural E...Happy to be that way

BackBeatle

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 04:29:33 PM »

I did a pool party DJ gig on June 1, 1987, and opened with Sgt Pepper/A Little Help From My Friends. Don't know if anyone else at the party understood the significance, but I certainly enjoyed the moment! 8)

BB

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2011, 04:49:53 PM »

Not at first because I used the earphones that came with it.  But when I bought RCA cables and hooked it up to my stereo I noticed the improvement in clarity.  There were no pops and crackles and I was amazed by that.  But I soon realized that a lot of the warmth of vinyl was missing.

That's why I took good care of my turntable and LPs over the years.  When I want to experience an album the way I first heard it, I listen to the LP. 

The 1987 Sgt Pepper stereo CD was great by 1980s standards.  The 2009 MONO remaster is a significant improvement.

Were you disappointed with the packaging? Like.. for example this:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:52:37 PM by Brynjar »
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

nimrod

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 11:07:23 PM »

Thanks walrusgumboot for the review etc but when I started this thread it wasnt about comparing the various versions of releases and bootlegs but my question was;

Do you think its right that from now on the default version of Beatle albums (in shops) is the remastered cd's ?

and is it right that (except for second hand ebay etc) you wont be able to buy the original albums and hear them. ?

Elli

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 08:49:49 AM »

I like the remasters, I think they're ok and it's ok they are available. Perhaps they help new people to get to know the music of the Beatles :). Of course it's amazing and fantastic to listen to the original ones, but unfortunately I don't have all of them...  roll:) ;D

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 09:10:47 AM »

Do you think its right that from now on the default version of Beatle albums (in shops) is the remastered cd's ?

If not the remastered version, then what? Surely not the 1987 version? That version is not all that bad though (as some make out). It would just seem pointless.

You mean that perhaps people should have a choice between the stereo remasters or mono?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:56:00 AM by Brynjar »

Rocky Raccoon

• A Beginning
  • Help with good Rocky's revival!
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 01:05:13 AM »

Well, there is indeed some warmth to the original vinyl LPs, they sound very good. The firsts CDs where actually rubbish, they sounded awful, bass and drums where barely audible. This is why the Dr. ebbets' tracks were around. The 2009 remasters are awesome, the instruments are clearer and very distinguishable, unlike the former Cds and yet they didn't mess up with the mixes, the tracks are still the same, they've got all the original anomalies and other curiosities. In fact they're so clear you can hear the studio echoes of the lead singer voice, specially in the first albums (the ones that were originally mixed as mono).
In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.552 seconds with 82 queries.