Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul's lyrics about John  (Read 1741 times)

Paul's lyrics about John
« on: September 06, 2007, 09:27:21 PM »

I remember reading about John's allegations that certain lyrics (Too many people, Dear boy, Backseat of my Car + Another day)on Paul's Ram album were directed at him. Does anyone know whether Paul has commented on this?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
Re: Paul's lyrics about John
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:58:58 PM »

I really don't. And I've always want to know some about it. I suppose DaveRam has to know, because he's the #1 RAM fan ever. Can you help us, Dave?  ;)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 12:28:12 AM »

Welcome to the forums winston_o! Enjoy! :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:01:28 AM »

Think John thought some of Paul's early post Beatles songs were a snipe at him , but having listend to the one's mentioned they seem to be quite obscure attack's , maybe To Many People is the only one with a bit of bite.
Lennon's How Do You Sleep on the other hand seems a real slap in the face from Lennon to Paul.
Paul's response was i believe Wings and ramming the success of that group down Lennon's throat , i can imagine that would have got to Lennon more ?
Welcome Winston_O :)

DaveRam :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 10:39:26 AM »

Wasn't 3 Legs meant to be about either Lennon, or The Beatles?

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 01:09:22 PM »

To me it seems some of the lyrics can be construed as attacks on John, but John's saying they're about him shows that he thinks they're fitting to describe him, even if they weren't intended that way. I'm curious as to whether John was right in feeling that he knew Paul well enough to detect these attacks that no one else would see, or if it was more a case of paranoia.

I have mostly listened to these songs and a couple more on this album, so I don't remember the lyrics of 3 legs, but I haven't heard of it supposedly being about John...? Will listen to it now.

Thank you both  :)

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 09:45:59 PM »

Wouldn't you have thought that if anyone knew each others writing Lennon and McCartney would know each others pretty well perhaps?

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 10:19:49 PM »

I'm sure they did, but as far as I know Paul wasn't in the habit of making this sort of veiled attacks, or sending messages to individuals through his lyrics? I have heard the suggestion that Paperback Writer was a sort of attacking of John's literary ambitions, but I am not so sure that is true; a whole other story behind the song is given in A Hard Day's Write.

dirtyoldsod

• A Beginning
  • Sue me sue you
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 06:14:52 AM »

I also heard that Run Of The Mill by George is about Paul, can anyone confirm this? And of course Denny Laine's Japanese Tears is about Paul/or rather the reaction to the Japan bust.. but everyone knows that.
<br /><br /><br />

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 07:00:01 AM »

Quote from: 599
I also heard that Run Of The Mill by George is about Paul, can anyone confirm this?  

I cant say for sure, but isnt that tune more about spiritual karma than just one person? I always thought so, but who knows.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 01:43:04 PM »

Quote from: 599
I also heard that Run Of The Mill by George is about Paul, can anyone confirm this?

I thought it was about John (that's what i heard). :-/
It was supposed to be about John abandoning his friends &
going off with Yoko.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 02:21:59 PM »

Re: Run of the Mill-- you're both right!

According to George in I, Me, Mine it's about all 4 of them, including himself:

Quote from: George Harrison
It's like the North of England thing--you know, 'Trouble at t'mill': it was when Apple was getty crazy--Ringo wanted it blue, John wanted it white, Paul wanted it green and I wanted it orange. Paul was falling out with us all and going around the Apple offices saying 'You're no good'--everybody was just incompetent (the Spanish Inquisition sketch). It was that period--the problem of partnerships.
Sorry, but that's what he wrote. Room for interpretation is still open!

He wrote some of these "headache" songs from that period (such as "Wah Wah") but he also includes happy notes about his old mates. His notes for "See Yourself" are a spirited defense of Paul telling the media the truth about him taking LSD.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 65 queries.