Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Looking for songbook with lyrics dictionary  (Read 4936 times)

pcmancini

• One And One Is Two
Looking for songbook with lyrics dictionary
« on: February 19, 2013, 01:41:26 AM »

Hi, new forum member so I am not sure if this is the correct forum.  I am looking for a songbook that I owned back in the 70s.  It was fairly comprehensive with guitar chords, piano and vocal for many of the Beatles songs.  It also, quite interestingly, had a lyrics dictionary with interpretations of certain lyrics from many of the songs. (One interesting one I remember is the meaning of "early warning" from Come Together as body oder- haha.)

I have tried to search for this book with no luck.  I am hoping some one on this forum will remember or know of this book and perhaps I can locate one for sale on eBay or Craig's List.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: Looking for songbook with lyrics dictionary
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »

Hiya Paul, first of all welcome to the forum! Is this the correct forum? You mean there are other forums? ha2ha

But seriously: personally I don't know such book, but one of the other members might. Any clue on the author or publishing company?

pcmancini

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »

Hi, thanks for the welcome.  No, I meant to appropriate forum on this site (maybe it belongs in songs?). 

Unfortunately, I gave the book away to a bandmate in the 80s and it is long gone.  No idea on the publisher or any other details but it was one of my favorites at the time.  Just trying to recapture a little of the past.

Thanks
Paul

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:36:43 PM »

Hi Paul,

You've posted in the right forum.  The only Beatles songbook I have is the two volume The Compleat Beatles ca. 1987...

There's no dictionary in it, however.

Tell me a bit more about your songbook; when you bought it, if it was a single volume and if you remember the color of the cover.  I can research the songbook and help you find an available copy.  A very common 1970s Beatles songbook was Beatles Complete published in the mid-70s.  It had a black cover.

Welcome to the Forum.
I can stay till it's time to go

pcmancini

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:22:57 PM »

Hello Hello,

Thanks for the welcome.  The book was a single volume. It contained most of the Beatles songs including George Harrison's compositions - I remember this because I leaned a rendition of Something from this book.  It was what I would call the standard size for a music book and I bought it in a music store in Philadelphia in the early mid-70s, probably around 1973 or 74.  It was written for piano, vocal and had guitar chords.  I do remember the pages were an off white color (even when it was new).

I vaguely remember the cover being black but the cover was also worn and then torn off from use so I may be mistaken.  Like I said, the unique thing about the book was how comprehensive it was and the lyrics dictionary.  Otherwise, I am sure I could find the songs/music in some of the more recent publications.

That is really all I have - not much help I know but it was a long time ago - but I do appreciate the replies.

Paul

pcmancini

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:30:52 PM »

One thing did come to mind is that I do not think it contained any songs from Let It Be.  So perhaps I bought in the very early 70s.

Thanks again,
Paul

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:49:39 PM »

Paul,

I'm sure your songbook is listed here:  http://www.rarebeatles.com/sheetmu/books/songbook.htm

Barry

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 11:08:43 PM »

I vaguely remember the cover being black but the cover was also worn and then torn off from use so I may be mistaken.

Does this look familiar?

pcmancini

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:18:28 PM »

Hi, Hello,

I have seen this one online and  thought it may be it but I do not think it has that dictionary  Be that as it may, I think I will buy this and see if it is the right one.

Any thoughts on where the best source to purchase this book?  Prices, version, etc?  Not looking for a collectable just something useable.

Thanks
Pauk

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:22:42 AM »

There are a couple listed on eBay now.

The link I posted earlier lists all of the songbooks published with their photos.  Did you see the one you're looking for there?

pcmancini

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:47:27 AM »

I had actually found that list before but I did go through every link and nothing really looked familiar.  Man, if I could find that book it would be a real treat - BUT what I really want is to get ahold of a compete set of songs to play. So I am going to pull the trigger on one of those on eBay.

Given the time span since I last saw the book it is always possible I have "mis-remembered" the book and that the one you posted is it. I hope so.  And thanks so much for your help.  I will let you know.

Paul

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 01:54:53 AM »

OK, Paul.  I hope that's the one.  You'll know when it arrives.

pcmancini

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 01:21:32 AM »

A quick update, I reached out to my bandmate and found him pretty fast.  He does have a couple of my old books but we are not sure if this Beatles book is in the "archives".  Anyway I should have that answer this week.  In parallel I also put in a bid on one of the eBay listings.  Worst that can happen is I have two of the same book.  BEST case is that I have two different books.

Thanks again for your help and I will, of course, let you know.
Paul

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 01:25:43 AM »

Please let us know what happens, Paul.

pcmancini

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 11:44:55 PM »

Well, I did finally get the Beatles Complete.  It is not the one I was looking for but a very nice addition to my songbook library. Unfortunately, my friend no longer had the one I leant him all those years ago.  So the search continues.  Thanks for all your help.

Paul

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 12:18:24 AM »

Sorry to hear that wasn't the one, Paul.  Why don't you go back to that website I linked to.  All known Beatles songbooks are listed there, most with pictures.  Maybe your memory will be jogged. 

I think they're all pretty much the same anyway.  I bought The Compleat Beatles set because of all the pictures, interviews and essays in the beginning of each volume.

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 67 queries.