Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: All Things Must Pass (album)  (Read 10119 times)

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
Re: All Things Must Pass (album)
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 06:38:55 PM »

WHY THE INTEREST IN MONO!! Surely you jest!  

We have two ears not one

MOST OF US DO... we don't know harihead maybe only one ear

remixed remastered stereo mix  must sound nicer than a crusty old mono mix

Must it now.... well that's debatable... and how would it develop a crust MaccaLennon if that is your real name...

hahahah in all seriousness i'm not sure the big appeal
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »

i've got Beware of ABCKO, it's fantastic. there's something very special about those
demos. they should have been put on the re-issue of ATMP i think!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 07:55:57 PM »

Quote from: 597
WHY THE INTEREST IN MONO!! Surely you jest!  

Must it now.... well that's debatable... and how would it develop a crust MaccaLennon if that is your real name...

hahahah in all seriousness i'm not sure the big appeal

Well that post completely confused me?

harihead????
yes its my real name of course it is. the name i was born with and its a small l actually

yes its debatable thats why im debating it

but yeah thanks for your input !  Anyone else enlighten me?

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 08:18:48 PM »

Because mono was the sound of the sixties and the way it was mixed in. There's differences in the mono and stereo mixes of the Beatles albums. BlueMeanie is your expert in these matters.

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 08:49:38 PM »

but by 1970 (ATMP) they were mixing directly into stereo weren't they? I get that the early albums have forced stereo mixes and therefore arent true stereo but by then they were making natural stereo recordings i thought.
It kind of sounds a bit like inverted snobbery to me. What i mean is stereo is far more natural sound, its how we hear things in everyday life. And besides from what i understand, you cant hear true mono as it should be on a 2 speaker hi fithat we all have now so unless you have such a player isnt forced mono the same mess as forced stereo?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 11:36:51 AM »

Quote from: 625
but by 1970 (ATMP) they were mixing directly into stereo weren't they? I get that the early albums have forced stereo mixes and therefore arent true stereo but by then they were making natural stereo recordings i thought.
It kind of sounds a bit like inverted snobbery to me. What i mean is stereo is far more natural sound, its how we hear things in everyday life. And besides from what i understand, you cant hear true mono as it should be on a 2 speaker hi fithat we all have now so unless you have such a player isnt forced mono the same mess as forced stereo?

Forced mono is basically a 'fold down'. You can get the effect by flicking the mono switch on the hi-fi whilst playing a stereo recording. Sounds like crap.

I imagine that by 'forced stereo', you mean some of the crap that Capitol released in 63, and 64. Given a set of mono masters they contrived to produce a kind of faux stereo. I've heard bootleggers do it better! The later released stereo stuff in the UK, is mixed for stereo. I'm unaware if the Capitol Albums boxed sets were remixed properly for stereo, or if they're the original mixes. Whatever, they sound awful.

At least with 'forced stereo' you get to hear everything, though not necessarily in the ear that it was intended! Fold downs into mono just sound dreadful, but a good mono mix can be a revelation. Try listening to the mono version of Sgt. Pepper.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 11:41:48 AM »

As a footnote, it is extremely unlikely that the word mono was ever uttered while the ATMP master tapes were in earshot.

Having said that, The Beatles themselves were very big fans of mono, not seeing the point in stereo. As far as I'm aware, it wasn't until they recorded 'Abbey Road' that they dropped mono.

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 02:11:39 PM »

Quote from: 1161

Check out a bootleg called Beware of ABCKO! It's the demos for ATMP. Info at Bootlegzone. Not sure that a proper mono mix of ATMP was ever made, although fold-downs could well exist.

I just purchased a mono CD of All Things Nust Pass on the Japanese Mid Valley label. It should arrive in a week and I will post when I get it as to what it sounds like.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 02:47:33 PM »

Quote from: 1201

I just purchased a mono CD of All Things Nust Pass on the Japanese Mid Valley label. It should arrive in a week and I will post when I get it as to what it sounds like.

Mid Valley is a bootleg label. And as far as I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong) there was never a mono mix made from the ATMP masters. I can see no reason why they would have made one at the time, as stereo was by then, far and away the chosen sound choice. This means that Mid Valley have probably taken a very good quality stereo vinyl, and made the mono mix from that. It's a waste of time.

You'd be better off getting your hands on the Dr. Ebbett's ATMP.

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 02:58:46 PM »

see all the discussion we get from a silly post
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 03:08:22 PM »

Quote from: 63
Because mono was the sound of the sixties and the way it was mixed in. There's differences in the mono and stereo mixes of the Beatles albums. BlueMeanie is your expert in these matters.

I agree. They were made to be listened to in mono. If some hack at The Louvre made a 3D Mona Liza in a  bigger size, with enhanced colouring and greater depth ("it's how Leonardo would have wanted it if he had access to digital laser technology") I think most art buffs would still prefer the old flat original. It was how it was supposed to be seen.
don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 03:23:36 PM »

Ooh, nice analogy, Kevin!

Thanks for the ABKCO tip, Geoff. I enjoyed all the discussion.

*weeps* Yes, you have penetrated my secret. I have only one ear. It was ripped off by a crazed fan during a Beatles revival. I try to hide my disfigurement under long hair. Probably this impairs my ability to hear any music properly, whether mono or stereo. *crawls away in shame*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »

see all the discussion we get from a silly post

That's why I like this forum.

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 08:20:52 PM »

Check out a bootleg called Beware of ABCKO! It's the demos for ATMP. Info at Bootlegzone. Not sure that a proper mono mix of ATMP was ever made, although fold-downs could well exist.

hi

i read that the new boot of all things must pass is a needle drop............surely it never appeared on vinyl in mono???
i know obscure mono albums do turn up in places like peru but..........................

BlueMeanie

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 08:24:33 PM »

Quote from: 1210

hi

i read that the new boot of all things must pass is a needle drop............surely it never appeared on vinyl in mono???
i know obscure mono albums do turn up in places like peru but..........................

Some mono mixes of demo's are available on stuff like 'Songs For Patti', but a proper mono mix of the album does not exist. The Ebbetts is probably a needle drop.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »

Welcome Ridware, btw. Odd name?

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2008, 05:49:07 PM »

Quote from: 1210

hi

Just got the Mid Valley Bootleg Mono pressing of All Things Must Pass and it's a needle drop straight off the South American pressing. The labels on the CD are the same as the original vinyl pressing. It's gotta be the stereo mix down to mono like we've talked about but it sounds quite warm and full. But I bought it as a collectible. Not for the fidelity. Nothing more nothing less.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2008, 09:06:07 PM »

Quote from: 1201

Just got the Mid Valley Bootleg Mono pressing of All Things Must Pass and it's a needle drop straight off the South American pressing. The labels on the CD are the same as the original vinyl pressing. It's gotta be the stereo mix down to mono like we've talked about but it sounds quite warm and full. But I bought it as a collectible. Not for the fidelity. Nothing more nothing less.

Interesting: I could only find one reference to a South American ATMP pressing, and I'm assuming it's stereo because they don't say anything (that I can see, anyway) about it being mono. But judging from some of the comments there, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were making fold downs! 8)

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=262875

BlueMeanie

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2008, 04:04:58 AM »

Interesting: I could only find one reference to a South American ATMP pressing, and I'm assuming it's stereo because they don't say anything (that I can see, anyway) about it being mono. But judging from some of the comments there, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were making fold downs! 8)

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=262875

South Americans seem to be known for doing mono mixes. One of the best known mono mixes of Abbey Road is Brazilian.

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2008, 04:41:35 AM »

i like that album. nuff said.
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 84 queries.