Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stuart's art teacher has died  (Read 1590 times)

Ligger

• A Beginning
Stuart's art teacher has died
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:56:31 PM »

I just did a Google search on Nicholas Horsfield and, sadly, found his obituary in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2005/jun/27/guardianobituaries.artsobituaries2

He was 88 when he passed away and was one of Stuart's teachers at Liverpool Art College in 1959.

I first read about him, I believe, in Philip Norman's book, "Shout," and then again in Ray Coleman's excellent, "Lennon."

Although not as significant as Sutcliffe's other art professor, Arthur Ballard, Nicky Horsfield did have some influence on Stuart as a painter.

I found an interview with Mr. Horsfield by Spenser Leigh done in 1997:

http://www.spencerleigh.demon.co.uk/Fabs_Horsfield.htm

I'm pretty new on this forum so perhaps you guys have already discussed this topic.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: Stuart's art teacher has died
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:46:27 PM »

Thanks, Ligger. I appreciate the news and links.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 12:51:05 PM »

Excellent. Thanks Ligger.

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 10:37:35 AM »

I met the man, once, at his home in suburban Liverpool. He kindly agreed to be interviewed for my, as yet unpublished and never completed, 1988 Stuart project.

I learned a few fascinating things from him. I was also able to make him aware of something he hadn't known previously. He didn't realize that Stuart used the stage name, Stuart de Stael, for the May 1960 Scotland tour.

According to Brian Morley, of the Guardian, the Russian abstract expressionist painter, Nicolas de Stael was one of Mr. Horsfield's prime influences.

Here is an extremely informative link to some info about Nicolas de Stael:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_de_Sta%C3%ABl

Here is a de Stael painting: http://www.operagallery.com/artistes/Master/Destael/2006XDSN001.jpg

In the course of our one hour conversation, Mr Horsfield told me he vaguely remembered being asked to recommend Stuart for an art teaching course. He said that he strongly felt Stuart was more suited to being a painter, rather than a painting teacher.

My clearest recollection of that meeting, however, is being picked up at the train station by Mr. Horsfield's adult son. After we shook hands and I got into his small car, he said that he wanted to thank me for requesting the interview with his retired father. He said that it was all his father had spoken about for the past week and he was really excited and looking forward to it.

His son's kind words immediately put this inexperienced journalist at ease, and meeting Stuart Sutcliffe's former art teacher in his suburban garden was an enjoyable event for the both of us.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 01:43:20 PM »

What a moving entry, Ligger. Very sweet.

He said that he strongly felt Stuart was more suited to being a painter, rather than a painting teacher.

Based on the little I know, I'd have to agree with this. Stuart was a driven creator.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 46 queries.