Solo forums > Microscopes

Microscope: Band On The Run

<< < (11/11)

nimrod:
Its impossible to speculate of course, but when they became individuals instead of The Beatles they never imo achieved greatness, Paul (whilst continuing to be the hard worker) was free to become more twee and silly, and he didnt have John to tell him his lyrics were 'ordinary' and that Mary Had A Little Lamb & C Moon were bad ideas in the rock driven 70's......then again John didnt have Paul to get him working harder, or pushing him to get his lazy arse into gear and write some good songs under pressure.....so he became the lazy 'John the Nowhere Man' only this time he had Yoko to get up to all kinds of daft projects that his fans didnt understand whilst occasionally shovelling together an album when the record company came calling/demanding some output and $$$$.

George used his backlog of songs written as a Beatle to make a very good album but then sank into his reticent rock star mode and only worked when he wasnt doing something more important like gardening on a grand scale or driving his Ferraris/Lamborghini's with Eric Clapton at the Formula 1 race track...................music to him seemed to be a necessary chore, maybe to pay the mortgage on his various houses and his lavish materialistic lifestyle (which was so out of touch with the teachings of the Hare Krishna temple).

As a whole they were magnificent, but the individual sum of the parts didnt equal the whole.

blmeanie:
Revival of a very old thread.

Looked this one up after listening to Band On The Run in the car tonight.  Felt like meeting up with an old friend I hadn't seen in a while.  Pictures (songs) here or there, but hadn't seen the old friend in ages.

It holds up.  Loved reading the microscopes and the last few posts before this one about "what if".

tkitna:
I agree with you. Its a good one.

Moogmodule:

--- Quote from: blmeanie on May 22, 2014, 12:16:44 AM ---Revival of a very old thread.

It holds up.  Loved reading the microscopes and the last few posts before this one about "what if".

--- End quote ---

I think your 'what if' deserves a thread of its own. It's pretty fundamental to our views in why we like the Beatles so much but why so much of the solo work gets a "meh".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version