Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The White Album played live  (Read 2308 times)

stevie

• Getting Better
The White Album played live
« on: May 13, 2009, 01:39:43 AM »

HNews
Top Stories / The Australian | National News
Four to bring Beatles to life
May 13, 2009 10:30am
IT was the beginning of the end for the Beatles, but 41 years later the band's White Album will enjoy a new life in the hands of four Aussie rockers.

Singers Josh Pyke, The Living End's Chris Cheney, You Am I frontman Tim Rogers and Phil Jamieson from Grinspoon will perform the Fab Four's celebrated double album at a series of concerts in August, backed by a 17-piece band.

Australian promoter Tim Woods came up with the idea to stage the tour simply because he wanted to hear the songs from his favourite Beatles album played live -- something the Liverpool band never did.

Yesterday in Melbourne the four lead vocalists were trying to decide who would sing what from the 29 songs they will perform, including Birthday, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Back in the USSR and Dear Prudence. Only one track, the eight-minute electronic ramble Revolution 9, will be left off the set list.

"We are all so different as artists that we're all going to have different favourite tunes," Cheney said.

The four singers will alternate on lead vocals, but plan to harmonise together on a lot of the material.

"There are so many great harmonies going on there so we would be mad not to do them," said Cheney.

"It will take a bit of work. It's no small feat that we are attempting to do this. It's so different to what I'm doing on a daily basis with The Living End."

The White Album, or The Beatles as it was also known, was recorded in 1968 when relationships among the four members of the band were at a low ebb. It was released in November that year.

Rarely were all four Beatles in the same room during its making and the album displays the individual songwriting of each one.

"I love the earthiness to that record," Cheney said. "It's so raw. More so on that record, you can hear the different personalities on each song. Before that you could kind of tell which one was a Lennon and which one was a McCartney, but on the White Album it's so evident, because they were recording a lot of them separately anyway.

"The crazy thing is that it sounds so well performed. It doesn't sound like they are just knocking them out in the studio. There's a lot of ad-libbing going on that normally you would only get from playing the songs hundreds and hundreds of times, which they wouldn't have done."

The
ey guys chekc this out! it just came up on the Net here in Oz. these guys are all from well known Aussie bands. should be good.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The White Album played live
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:47:05 AM »

I can't wait to hear how this sounds! I think it would be very hard to pull off as a faithful cover-type project, but I hope they try!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:08:51 AM »

Sounds cool! 8) Are you going to see them, stevie?
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:01:57 AM »

Isn't there someone here who's already done this?

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:42:39 AM »

I'll try and get to it. Depends on the date. A mate of mine likes the band one of the guys are from, so he'll probably come too. There's some irony in that - last year i loaned him the White Album. He's a Clapton fan and I'd told him about 'while my Guitar'. These Aussie guys are pretty good musos but i'm a bit worried by the vocals - how do you emulate John, Paul and George?
I started a new comedy script today: a parody of The Lord of the Rings, in which the 1965 Beatles replace the four hobbits.

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:47:09 AM »

Quote from: 483
Isn't there someone here who's already done this?

Kirkwood.

walrus_21

• A Beginning
  • But I tried.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 06:08:14 PM »

Phish did it, I believe.  

titaniumman

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:24:04 PM »

Pusses are afraid to cover Revolution 9! The Fab Faux play White Album shows regularly, and include Revolution 9 in their set-list. They play the whole thing from beginning to end, using no samplers and speaking the vocals live. It's totally sick to see live, and really the only way I can imagine a White Album show ending without being anti-climatic. I say, unless you have the balls to cover Rev 9, stay away from covering the "entire" White Album.

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 53 queries.