The world was waiting just for you
Sexy Sadie oooh how did you know.

Sexy Sadie you'll get yours yet
However big you think you are
Sexy Sadie oooh you'll get yours yet.

We gave her everything we owned just to sit at her table
Just a smile would lighten everything
Sexy Sadie she's the latest and the greatest of them all.

She made a fool of everyone
Sexy Sadie.

Sexy Sadie.

beatles - sexy sadie

Lennon originally wanted to title the song "Maharishi", but changed the title to "Sexy Sadie" at George Harrison's request.
Lennon was disillusioned after Maharishi Mahesh Yogi had allegedly made a sexual advance at one of the female members attending the course the Maharishi was teaching at his ashram.
Lennon once said of the song: "That was inspired by Maharishi. I wrote it when we had our bags packed and were leaving. It was the last piece I wrote before I left India. I just called him, 'Sexy Sadie,' instead of (sings) 'Maharishi what have you done, you made a fool...' I was just using the situation to write a song, rather calculatingly but also to express what I felt. I was leaving the Maharishi with a bad taste. You know, it seems that my partings are always not as nice as I'd like them to be." He told Rolling Stone that when the Maharishi asked why he was leaving, he replied, "Well, if you're so cosmic, you'll know why."
After returning from India, Lennon scratched the lyrics into a piece of wood, with the original title "Maharishi". The recorded version changed only after Harrison insisted that if the song were used he wanted the name changed and persuaded Lennon to change the title to "Sexy Sadie". Harrison recounts the event in the director's cut of the Anthology film. Derek Taylor remembered Lennon's fiddling about scratching the wood in the Apple offices. The wood ended up in the possession of Maureen Starkey and was ultimately sold to a Beatles collector.

Personnel

John Lennon – lead and harmony vocals, rhythm guitar, Hammond organ
George Harrison – lead guitar, backing vocals
Paul McCartney – leslie piano, bass guitar, backing vocals
Ringo Starr – drums, tambourine

tkitna:
I like this song a lot. I think its funny because my son hates it and we were just talking about it the other day. Anyways, I think its a great tune.

Klang:

Yes, a good one. Intelligible lyrics and fine instrumentation. I especially like the lead guitar part.

:)

nimrod:
Yes its a great song, well crafted the different parts seem to fit really well, Paul plays a nice Leslie piano part and a nice lazy decadent guitar part from George.

Dcazz:

--- Quote from: Klang on July 28, 2013, 11:38:22 AM ---Yes, a good one. Intelligible lyrics and fine instrumentation. I especially like the lead guitar part.

:)

--- End quote ---
I agree! I also like the instrumental fadeout when you can also hear Johns electric rhythm guitar come grinding in for a few bars.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version