Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles Moment  (Read 3070 times)

Bobber

The Beatles Moment
« on: December 10, 2014, 03:46:37 PM »

What moment is a typical Beatles Moment for you?
As an example let me post this video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LknmqmcUPWA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LknmqmcUPWA</a>

It is not the song itself, although that is a very typical Beatles song. But it is merely the humour that surrounds Paul's performance. George's introduction, the joke with the flowers and John's remark "Thank you Ringo. That was wonderful."

It is THAT that makes this a typical Beatles Moment for me. What are yours?

KelMar

Re: The Beatles Moment
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 10:45:09 PM »

I have several. When I was young it was a rare treat to see footage on TV so watching the Anthology put me over the moon. So did discovering YouTube. Another big one was Live at the BBC. As soon as I heard "I'm Ringo and I play the drums" I couldn't wait to hear what else they were going to say. It was the thing that made me want to dig deeper. Finding something I've never heard or reading something new is big, as is the feeling I get when I meet another fan or find out someone I know is one.

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 08:39:38 AM »

Finding something I've never heard or reading something new is big, as is the feeling I get when I meet another fan or find out someone I know is one.

Still I learn something new quite often. Reading Mark Lewisohn's books brings up a lot of things. Like Pete Best isn't actually called Pete Best.

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 05:18:07 AM »

Still I learn something new quite often. Reading Mark Lewisohn's books brings up a lot of things. Like Pete Best isn't actually called Pete Best.

I had to go back and look that up! I find myself doing that a lot with this book. I might have to cave and get a Kindle if that would make finding things easier in this book and the ones to come. I wondered as I read this how much of the information was new to people like you who had a good deal more prior knowledge than I had.

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 10:56:45 AM »

I had to go back and look that up! I find myself doing that a lot with this book. I might have to cave and get a Kindle if that would make finding things easier in this book and the ones to come. I wondered as I read this how much of the information was new to people like you who had a good deal more prior knowledge than I had.

There's lots of new information actually. I loved to read about the complete background for instance. The atmosphere in which things were happening. I always thought that Tommy Moore was with them for a much longer period than Mark Lewisohn describes. George getting into fistfights with Stuart. The complete lack of rehearsing Johnny Gentle's songs before they went on tour to Scotland. Their miserable equipment in the early days. I can now really imagine people calling them a scruffy group.

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 02:32:24 AM »

Mark Lewisohn certainly is skilled at making the story come alive. It makes more sense and has stuck in my mind better than with other books. One of my favorite stories is about how they behaved at Brian's taylor when he took them to get the suits. Yeah, they were scruffy all right!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 08:29:29 AM »

The four of them holding a very cheesy, show business pose at the end of 'Magical Mystery Tour' and John collapsing into Paul's arms. 

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »

Great video, Bobber!
On the same note, most of their interviews bring out the Beatlesness of the time. Like that interview where they get asked "who do you expect to see in Australia?" And John answers: "Australians".

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 08:49:53 PM »

Great video, Bobber!
On the same note, most of their interviews bring out the Beatlesness of the time. Like that interview where they get asked "who do you expect to see in Australia?" And John answers: "Australians".

Great answers to stupid questions. Classic!

Page created in 1.17 seconds with 53 queries.