Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul McCartney spotted in New York City for Ringo Starr's concert tonight  (Read 5220 times)

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning

UPDATE: Paul McCartney spotted in New York City for Ringo Starr's concert tonight

July 7, 7:46 PMBeatles ExaminerSteve Marinucci

UPDATE: Yes, he's there. Horror Happenings Examiner Charles Rosenay just called us to tell us he'd spotted him.

UPDATE #2: Colin Hay also spotted.

UPDATE #3: Yoko Ono and Shea Stadium promoter Sid Bernstein seen.

-------------------------

So will Ringo Starr's birthday celebration tonight at Radio City Music Hall be topped by an appearance by fellow Beatle Paul McCartney?

They could sing a live version of "Walk With You," among other things. Could a repeat of the David Lynch reunion be happening?

We'll have to wait and see. It should be a fun evening in any event for those of you attending. We'd love to hear about it in any case.  

Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-2082-Beatles-Examiner~y2010m7d7-Is-Paul-McCartney-in-New-York-City-for-Ringo-Starrs-concert-tonight
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:23:03 AM by LennonStarrFan »

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
“He's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me

Nice!! Thanks for the news!

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher

Sir Paul and Ringo Radio City Music Hall 070710 Ringo's 70th Birthday

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
“He's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
I can stay till it's time to go

Bobber

And Euan. Nice vids indeed. You gotta give credits to Yoko. Not for her singing of course, but the lady is 76? 77? I don't see my mother dancing like that with Ringo.

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning

And Euan. Nice vids indeed. You gotta give credits to Yoko. Not for her singing of course, but the lady is 76? 77? I don't see my mother dancing like that with Ringo.

It was also great to see the many famous classic rock musicians perform with Ringo on With A Little Help From My Friends. :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator

Sir Paul and Ringo Radio City Music Hall 070710 Ringo's 70th Birthday

Yes!!  And thank you, Euan for your video too.  Nice close-ups of Paul and Ringo!!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator

It was also great to see the many famous classic rock musicians perform with Ringo on With A Little Help From My Friends. :)

Right!  Ringo was well-honored.  That was some birthday cake!

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning

Ringo Starr's 70th birthday concert: Guests galore, and Paul McCartney, too!
by Simon Vozick-Levinson
Categories: Concert Reviews, Happy Birthday!, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, The Beatles, Things That Are Awesome

The cake had been served, the candles had been blown out, and Ringo Starr had all but told the sold-out crowd at NYC’s Radio City Music Hall to go home, but the most exciting part of his 70th birthday show last night was still to come. That was the exact moment, right around 10 p.m., that none other than Paul McCartney bounded on stage in his skinny tie and fitted suit. The art-deco hall filled with 1964-style squeals as Sir Paul tore through the Beatles’ “Birthday” with the wild-eyed drive of someone decades younger.

McCartney’s unannounced appearance was the perfect end to an evening of festive collaboration. Ringo calls his touring act the All-Starr Band for a reason: They’re all handpicked veterans of bands from the ’60s, ’70s, and ’80s. In between his solo hits (“Photograph,” “It Don’t Come Easy”) and Beatles classics (“Yellow Submarine,” “Act Naturally,” “Boys”), he gave each of his bandmates ample time to demonstrate their own claims to fame. Keyboardist/saxophonist Edgar Winter led electrifying renditions of “Frankenstein” and “Free Ride.” Guitarist Rick Derringer of the McCoys rocked “Hang On Sloopy.” The Romantics’ Wally Palmar told us “What I Like About You.” Mr. Mister’s Richard Page spread his “Broken Wings.” Gary Wright crooned “Dreamweaver,” which he said was inspired by a book on Eastern philosophy that George Harrison once gave him. (“George Harrison never gave me no damn book,” cracked Ringo.) I’m not sure I’d sit through an entire concert by any of those guys’ original groups, but seeing them run through their hits with Ringo was fun — a classic-rock radio revue with one of history’s greatest beat-keepers behind the kit. Starr himself was as energetic as any 70-year-old I’ve ever encountered, grooving gamely at front stage or drumming with that familiar head-bobbing enthusiasm.

Halfway through a Mr. Mister song, my mother and I noticed the E Street Band’s Stevie Van Zandt and Nils Lofgren and ELO’s Jeff Lynne simultaneously leaving their seats a few rows ahead of us. For a moment I thought they must not be big “Broken Wings” fans, but of course they were only heading backstage. A few numbers later, Starr said he wanted to play a tune that he was considering cutting from his set list due to lukewarm crowd reactions. The song was “With A Little Help from My Friends.” Oh, Ringo, you joker! This was the cue for a cavalcade of celebs to join him. Seeing Starr giddily jam with Van Zandt, Lofgren, Lynne, Yoko Ono, Joe Walsh, and quite a few others is not a sight I’ll soon forget.

My mother and I had been hoping all along that McCartney might pop up. He was conveniently in between tour dates in London and San Francisco this week, and 70 is a big birthday. But “With A Little Help” transitioned into a sweet singalong of John Lennon’s “Give Peace a Chance,” followed by a spontaneous crowd rendition of “Happy Birthday” and the aforementioned cake and candles, and Macca was nowhere to be seen. Oh well. Who could complain after all those other guests? And then he turned up after all. His “Birthday,” with Walsh on wicked lead guitar, was the best possible way to end that show. Afterward, teary hugs were exchanged between McCartney, Starr, and Ono. McCartney softly repeated the words “Happy birthday to you” into the microphone. The appreciative surprise on his old friend’s face looked altogether genuine.

And so, for the second time in as many years, the two surviving Beatles shared a concert stage. (The same stage, as it happens.) My mom, who never got to see them when she was a teenaged fan in the ’60s, was pretty psyched to be there. So was I. On our way out from the venue, someone was raving about “history in the making.” Were any of you lucky enough to see last night’s show? If not, console yourself with the extremely shaky fan video of “Birthday” below.

Ringo Starr & Paul McCartney - Birthday (live at Radio City Music Hall, 7/7/2010)

Source: http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/07/08/ringo-starr-birthday-mccartney/

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio

Thanks for sharing...What a moment! :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 65 queries.