Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Your Favourite TV Series  (Read 18643 times)

KelMar

Re: Your Favourite TV Series
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2014, 01:27:35 AM »

It used to be shown every summer in my hometown in this beautiful old classic theater.

Oh wow. I've never seen it in a theater but that's exactly the type of theater I would want to see it in. I'll have to keep my eyes open. There is an old theater in Salamanca, the Ray Evans theater (he wrote Silver Bells and is from there). It's mostly used for live performances but occasionally they show classic movies. I can't think of a better one for them to show this year.

There...I just "liked" them on Facebook so I'll know.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2014, 01:35:37 AM »

When I lived near Atlanta, we visited the Underground. It's a shopping and eating area that is at the level where the wounded in the movie are waiting at the rail station. Now it's 3-4 stories underground  (hence the name). There is still a few original street lamps there and one has a dent where a cannon ball hit it!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2014, 05:12:12 AM »

I saw Gone With The Wind on the BIG screen at the Loew's Paradise Theatre in The Bronx (before it went multiplex)...

That was a good name for that movie theater.  It had a very high ceiling with little lights in it that would flicker giving the impression of twinkling stars.  I took a girlfriend to see it.  She sat there mesmerized by the movie.  After all, it is a girl's movie...just like An Affair To Remember...

That's a Chick's Movie - Sleepless in Seattle (6/8) Movie CLIP (1993) HD

;D

I've read that Leslie Howard never read the novel and was completely unaware of the movie's plot.  He just learned his lines in the script and played his scenes.

I've also read that there were very few live extras in the scene where the wounded were being tended to at the rail station.  They were mostly in the foreground with dummies alongside.  They moved the dummies' arms with thin sticks to make them look like they were beckoning for help.  It was indeed a very impressive scene as the camera pulled back to reveal the great number of wounded soldiers and the tattered Confederate flag atop the flagpole...

Gone With The Wind (1939) Battle of Atlanta Injuries

My favorite scene was when Scarlett found her resolve...

As God is my witness  GWTW

I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2014, 05:56:04 AM »

I just pre-ordered this from Amazon...

The review that I read says that in BluRay you can tell the dummies from the real actors. I hope that's not true!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2014, 06:45:43 AM »

There are, of course, exceptions to the rule ('Godfather', 'Godfather Part 2') and I was expecting someone to quote 'Hey Jude' or 'Desolation Row' or 'Blonde on Blonde' or 'Gone With The Wind' but, as a rule, the above timings are not too far out, and much tedium would have been saved if an editing process had been in play in music and/or cinema over the years.

Less is more.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2014, 02:32:11 PM »

I've also read that there were very few live extras in the scene where the wounded were being tended to at the rail station.  They were mostly in the foreground with dummies alongside.  They moved the dummies' arms with thin sticks to make them look like they were beckoning for help.  It was indeed a very impressive scene as the camera pulled back to reveal the great number of wounded soldiers and the tattered Confederate flag atop the flagpole...

I love that scene (with the camera pulling back and eventually showing the tattered Confederate flag). I always try to spot the dummies.

When I lived in Virginia back in the late 1990s and again in the early 2000s, some people actually had bumper stickers that read "Happiness Is a Yankee Heading North." Really?! As a native of NYS, that rankled.  ;)

There are, of course, exceptions to the rule ('Godfather', 'Godfather Part 2') and I was expecting someone to quote 'Hey Jude' or 'Desolation Row' or 'Blonde on Blonde' or 'Gone With The Wind' but, as a rule, the above timings are not too far out, and much tedium would have been saved if an editing process had been in play in music and/or cinema over the years.

Less is more.

I agree. Most movies today run 'way too long. A lot of them could use some serious editing.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:35:31 PM by Normandie »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »

I've been on vacation and my son talked me into watching 'Breaking Bad' on Netflix. Its good so far (only 5 episodes in).  I've also been watching 'Orange Is The New Black' about a girl who goes to prison.  Its also good.. Son says Dexter must be next.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2014, 10:44:10 PM »

My viewing is mostly rolling news, wildlife documentaries and "old" (pre 1990s) movies but there are a few TV series (both classic and current) that I enjoy.

Among the modern ones I love (i.e. never miss an episode) are:

"Dragon's Den" (2005 to date) - Budding entrepreneurs pitch ideas to a panel of multi-millionaire investors. Simple format but fascinating.
"Ice Road Truckers" (2007 to date) - zero interest in trucks, vehicles or mechanics of any kind but the larger than life characters in this ongoing reality series make it strangely addictive
"The Mentalist" (2008 to date) - brilliant psychological American crime series with Simon Baker as the eccentric lead (a modern, sassy Columbo-type show)
"Luther" (2010-2013) - gripping UK police drama spotlighting the seamy underbelly of London
"Dracula" (2013) - sumptuously riveting Anglo-American production starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers

My son nagged me to give "The Sopranos" a try but I just can't seem to get going with it. Everyone else that I know who HAS seen it raves about it being fantastic, so I really ought to have another serious attempt at it.

American comedy rarely tickles me but I am delighted to see that the complete box set of Bilko ("The Phil Silvers Show") is due for DVD release shortly. Hilarity which has stood the test of time, yet (mystifyingly to many, many Brits who hold it in reverence) I have often read that it is not particularly cherished in its homeland?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:45:47 PM by Mr Mustard »

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2014, 12:41:24 AM »

I think Bilko was fairly sophisticated for its time. It is a shame that it's not too well remembered. Here's hoping the new release will shed some light on it.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2014, 01:02:34 AM »

We've been watching Jericho on Roku. It's from 2006 but it has a story. I like it!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2014, 03:18:30 AM »

I think Bilko was fairly sophisticated for its time. It is a shame that it's not too well remembered. Here's hoping the new release will shed some light on it.

:)

The Phil Silvers Show is very well remembered here in the States. Sgt. Bilko was the ultimate scammer! 

That TV series spawned McHale's Navy and Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.  We were well-saturated with military humor for 15 years!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »

As a child I was very taken by the Andy Griffiths Show and My Three Sons (probably because I was being raised by a single dad.)
Later in the 60's it was The Monkees, the Invaders, Get Smart, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie. Aall american. The only UK shows I can remember were Dr Who and The Prisoner - which i didn't understand. This was all happening in NZ by the way.
don't follow leaders

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »

We've been watching Jericho on Roku. It's from 2006 but it has a story. I like it!

That was a top show! But it never gets resolved as it got canned

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2014, 09:33:42 PM »

As a child I was very taken by the Andy Griffiths Show and My Three Sons (probably because I was being raised by a single dad.)
Later in the 60's it was The Monkees, the Invaders, Get Smart, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie. Aall american. The only UK shows I can remember were Dr Who and The Prisoner - which i didn't understand. This was all happening in NZ by the way.

You got me thinking there Kevin.... and I've realised that nearly every show I enjoyed in my British sixties childhood was indeed American. There were a few British exceptions, but  "The Monkees", "The Banana Split Show", "The Addams Family", "Lost In Space", "F Troop", "The New Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn", "Batman", "Tarzan", "Bewitched", "The Munsters"... My God the list is endless looking back! And that's without taking account of all those US cartoon series... "Wacky Races", "Deputy Dawg", "Rocky And Bullwinkle", "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!", "Astronut", "Shazzan", "The Impossibles" (guess who they reminded me of!) etc etc...

And there was me thinking it was the time of "The British Invasion"!!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2014, 02:41:34 AM »

The American TV shows you mentioned were great, but it was a real treat to watch British shows like The Saint, Secret Agent (Danger Man), The Avengers, and The Prisoner.

I loved Diana Rigg!

The Avengers Series 5 Opening Titles and Closing Credits

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2014, 02:59:59 AM »

And here's how we got Danger Man here in The States...

Secret Agent - Intro/Outro . Opening & Closing, with Patrick McGoohan

John Drake was so cool.  And he didn't carry a gun!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2014, 03:04:45 AM »

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2014, 05:47:45 PM »

The American TV shows you mentioned were great, but it was a real treat to watch British shows like The Saint, Secret Agent (Danger Man), The Avengers, and The Prisoner.

I loved Diana Rigg!

Forgot The Avengers. Best theme music ever - still sends a shiver down my spine. My pre pubescent me found Diana Rigg strangely interesting.
I was more of a Man From U.N.C.L.E guy than The Saint.
And let's not forget all Gerry Andersons shows. god I want to be a kid again
don't follow leaders

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2014, 10:54:59 PM »

I mentioned Bilko several posts back then forgot to pay homage to its most obvious cartoon tribute..."Top Cat", which I loved as a kid. But I recall over here in the UK there was a bit of controversy for a while because "Top Cat" was the name of a pet food brand (I think) and so, ridiculously, the cartoon was - at least for a time - re-named "Boss Cat" (despite the unaltered theme song and constant reference as "T.C." - I know, I know, crazy huh?)

Some of those British ITC series were just so cool. I think my favourites - both from around 1969 - were "Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)" and "Department S" (with arguably the best theme tune of all!)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB3F059khLE
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:59:49 PM by Mr Mustard »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2014, 04:07:15 AM »

I mentioned Bilko several posts back then forgot to pay homage to its most obvious cartoon tribute..."Top Cat", which I loved as a kid.

Yeah.  Benny was Doberman.  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.647 seconds with 89 queries.