Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: John on stage  (Read 20413 times)

Toejam

• A Beginning
Re: John on stage
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »

I read it in the book Revolution in the head by Ian McDonald. He only says it once but in a way that makes it sound like it's a well known fact. I can't see it myself. Johns creativity was def. the prime factor in his success more than musical technical ability, you even hear talk of him not being able to tune his guitar, but to suggest that he wasn't very competent at keeping time is just pushing crediblity for me.

As a little addendum to what I've said there. There is the Anth.2 Disc 2 verison of I am the walrus where John comes in too early.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Paul Petraitis

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 02:55:17 PM »

In "Can't Buy Me Love" the author describes John's distinctive stance "as if it were Elvis idling in neutral" which is funny yes but VERY perceptive. I'm sorry I've forgotten the author's name, I loaned my copy out. He's a drummer and...wow I have to get that book back don't I?

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 12:26:14 AM »

Was watching footage of the Washington Coliseum gig and George just doesn't stay still! He's moving around, tapping his feet, shaking it.

There's a great energy to that concert

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 05:59:07 AM »

In "Can't Buy Me Love" the author describes John's distinctive stance "as if it were Elvis idling in neutral" which is funny yes but VERY perceptive. I'm sorry I've forgotten the author's name, I loaned my copy out. He's a drummer and...wow I have to get that book back don't I?

I think you're quote from "Can't Buy Me Love" is pretty damned close to the truth.

I'm male and I suspect most people who post here are also male (tho I may be wrong). I've asked numerous women from my generation (ancient) about John's stance. The consensus is (to put it politely) that John always looked like he boinking a woman in the standing position. So was that what was meant by "Elvis idling in neutral"? Methinks John was doing it for the womenfolk in the audience, not unlike a female singer doing some hip gyrations on stage. Ever seen Tina Turner handle a mic during a sexy ballad? Lucky mic.

As for guitarists holding their instruments high in that era, that was pretty standard. With the 70's, and what was sometimes called "cock-rock", guitarists began holding their guitars at crotch-level, making the necks of their guitars an extension of their penises. In my opinion, the ultimate result has probably been an increase in carpal tunnel syndrome cases.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »

As a little addendum to what I've said there. There is the Anth.2 Disc 2 verison of I am the walrus where John comes in too early.

Maybe the "time-keeping" reference is more to do with the fact that John didn't always tie himself to a 4/4 beat in his songs - songs like All You Need is Love mix 4/4 bars with 3/4 bars in a way that seemed natural for John to do, but as a musician myself it would never cross my mind to do it in one of my songs. John didn't seem to bother about sticking to the well-known formula of 12-bar blues etc.

When you listen to someone like John Lee Hooker he is the same - he might start one phrase on beat 1 of a bar then next time round he will start it a beat too early or whatever. You can hear the musicians playing with him trying to keep up because they're expecting every bar to be 4 beats but every now and then there'll be a 3-beat bar or a 5-beat bar.

John Lennon seems to have that same ability to "lose" the regular 4/4 timing and add in extra beats (Good Morning, Good Morning) or lose beats (AYNIL) when it suited him.

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »

Maybe the "time-keeping" reference is more to do with the fact that John didn't always tie himself to a 4/4 beat in his songs - songs like All You Need is Love mix 4/4 bars with 3/4 bars in a way that seemed natural for John to do, but as a musician myself it would never cross my mind to do it in one of my songs. John didn't seem to bother about sticking to the well-known formula of 12-bar blues etc.

I have to agree with you. I don't think John was well-versed in time signatures beyond 4/4, 3/4 and 6/8. For him to consciously decide to drop in a measure or two of unusual time signature probably is a myth. When he did it, it was probably pure instinct as a musician.

I wonder: Since in 1963 interviews, both John and Paul expressed admiration of and influence by songwriting teams such as "Goffin and King" and "Bacharach and David". Bacharach, in particular, used brief time changes in some of his songs. Might that explain why John felt free to add a few to some of his tunes? Just asking.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2013, 04:16:22 AM »

John forgot there was another verse before the guitar solo...

The Beatles - You Can't Do That (Empire Pool - Wembley) [HD]

I love the expression on his face.   :)
I can stay till it's time to go

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 07:17:51 AM »

John forgot there was another verse before the guitar solo...

The Beatles - You Can't Do That (Empire Pool - Wembley) [HD]

I love the expression on his face.   :)

Yeah, this video rocks (and the song of course) 8)

Well, it wasn't the first time that John forgot some verse or lines, was it ? Sometimes he seems "fighting" with the microphone  ;D

Snoopy

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2013, 05:16:31 PM »

Well, it wasn't the first time that John forgot some verse or lines, was it ? Sometimes he seems "fighting" with the microphone  ;D

Here John is trying hard to phrase the line "And so it's true, pride comes before a fall" correctly.  It was a bit awkward as you can see by the face he makes...

Merci beaucoup.  Salut!  Et maintenant, une chanson qui s'appelle "I'm A Loser."

The Beatles - Live in Paris 1965 - I'm A Loser/I Wanna Be Your Man

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2013, 05:18:07 PM »

Paul can forget the words too...

Paul McCartney: We Can Work It Out

:)

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »

Paul can forget the words too...

Paul McCartney: We Can Work It Out

:)

That's interesting. Paul is dealing differently than John in such situation, a bit cooler and self-assured I think. Thank's for sharing, Barry  :)

Snoopy
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 63 queries.