Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Now And Then  (Read 16862 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: Now And Then
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 02:50:09 PM »

I would have thought that the tapes are well and truly under lock and key. Probably in a farmhouse in Sussex! I don't recall hearing any booted outtakes from Real Love, and Free As A Bird (but then I haven't looked for them, so I may be wrong), so I wouldn't have thought that this would have got out. A good fake, I'd say.

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »

I was actually refering to the Iamaphoney series of Paul is dead videos and that there is to be some kind of resolution on February 9th. Not the Now and Then thing.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »

The link you provided takes us straight to 'Now And Then'.

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2008, 09:46:18 PM »

Sorry about the confusion, this 'Now and Then' video and arrangement originally comes from Iamaphoney, whoever that is. He claims to have cracked the 'Love' album code and has reported it to Apple and will be collecting his prize on 9th of February, that's what I assume anyway.  ::)

The videos are very profesionally edited, the hypnotic splices he creates by using the reversed "backmasking" bits really are good.

It's an interesting curio.

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2008, 07:30:04 PM »

has there been any news on Now and Then of late? is it planned for the remasters or Paul solo or what?
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2008, 12:30:42 AM »

Quote from: 597
has there been any news on Now and Then of late? is it planned for the remasters or Paul solo or what?

I heard a rumor last summer that Paul wanted to finish it off and put it on one of his solo albums, but it was probably one of those News Of The World celebrity gossip type stories. The rumor about a deal with iTunes to release  a remastered Beatles catalog very likely falls into the same category:

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/308itunesdivorce.html

BlueMeanie

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »

Quote from: 1161

I heard a rumor last summer that Paul wanted to finish it off and put it on one of his solo albums, but it was probably one of those News Of The World celebrity gossip type stories. The rumor about a deal with iTunes to release  a remastered Beatles catalog very likely falls into the same category:

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/308itunesdivorce.html

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2008, 07:46:53 AM »

Quote from: 483

Bingo! (Should have taken the more direct approach myself).

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2008, 01:40:48 PM »

I thought Tuesday was April Fool's Day....

'Lost' John Lennon-written Beatles song to be released?
The Beatles

Will Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr get together to finish the song?

Apr 2, 2008

'Now And Then', a song written by John Lennon in the 1970s but never completed, could surface again as a tribute release to Neil Aspinall, the producer/record executive often described as 'the fifth Beatle', who died last month (March 24).

According to The Sun, the song, a home recording of which was made by Lennon, may see the light of day, although the tapes would require a lot of work on them to restore them to full quality.

The newspaper quotes an anonymous source who claims that discussions about releasing the song have been undertaken, but it is not clear whether Lennon's former bandmates, Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, have been involved in the talks or are interested in adding newly-recorded music to the song.

"There have been discussions about finishing 'Now And Then'," the source is quoted as saying: "It would be quite a task. It will need a significant amount of work to get it into a condition where it could be released."

http://www.nme.com/news/the-beatles/35605

(sleep2)

Bobber

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2008, 02:09:42 PM »

It's a rumor that's coming back every now and then. There's been some discussing here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?m-1166523026/
It would be interesting to see if Paul and Ringo would really get it released. But I'm not holding my breath.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 02:21:39 PM »

Sorry- should have gone digging for the old thread. I just saw that this morning and thought, one more time with the old story, eh, guys? "Anonymous" sources!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2008, 02:36:06 PM »

I wish Paul or Ringo would actually say something to quash the rumours, either way. Wasn't quite a lot of work already done to it? George's guitar for instance?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2008, 03:22:29 PM »

Found this in Wikipedia:

In January 1994, Paul McCartney was given two tape cassettes by John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono, which included home recordings of songs Lennon never completed or released commercially. The songs on the tape included the eventually completed and released "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love", in addition to two other songs "Grow Old With Me" and "Now and Then". In March 1995, the three surviving Beatles began work on "Now and Then" by recording a rough backing track that was to be used as an overdub. However, after only two days of recording, all work on the song ceased and plans for a third reunion single was scrapped permanently.

According to Paul McCartney, George Harrison "didn't want to do it," possibly because new verses would have had to been written. Producer Jeff Lynne reported that "It was one day – one afternoon, really – messing with it. The song had a chorus but is almost totally lacking in verses. We did the backing track, a rough go that we really didn't finish." An additional factor behind scrapping the song was a technical defect in the original recording. Like Real Love, a 60 cycles mains hum can be heard throughout Lennon's demo recording. However, it was much louder on the Now and Then recording, therefore making it much harder to remove.

Throughout 2005 and 2006, press reports speculated that McCartney and Starr would release a complete version of the song in the future. On April 29, 2007, it was reported in the Daily Express[1] that the song may be released to coincide with the Beatles catalogue being released for the first time via digital download. At the time of this writing, the only available recording of this song is Lennon's original demo(complete with the "electronic buzz" embeded in the recording). The overdubs added in 1995 by the other surviving members have yet to surface.

In 2007, reports circulated[2] that Paul McCartney was hoping to complete the song as a "Lennon/McCartney composition" by writing new verses, laying down a new drum track recorded by Ringo, and utilizing archival recordings of George Harrison's guitar work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Now_and_Then_(song)

There may be something about it in Keith Badman's The Beatles After The Break Up, too, but I'm not at all sure. The surviving demo, even leaving aside the loud tape buzz, doesn't strike me as being at all promising.

Bobber

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »

I thought today that Now And Then may have been optioned for inclusion on Anthology 3. I mean, Anthology 1 and 2 both contain a 'new' song, 3 does not. Or was that the plan all the way?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »

Quote from: 63
I thought today that Now And Then may have been optioned for inclusion on Anthology 3. I mean, Anthology 1 and 2 both contain a 'new' song, 3 does not. Or was that the plan all the way?

I think that was the plan, but the bits of news I heard about it at the time were pretty muddled: "Grow Old For Me" and a new George and Paul collaboration entitled (I think) "All For Love" were also reported as being intended for Anthology 3. They should have just issued "Come and Get It" or "While My Guitar gently Weeps" as a single.

The demo of "Now and Then" is here:

hhCKdqz2ekw

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2008, 08:39:29 PM »

It is such a nice song....the video makes it so sad...i do wish they would release it...and make it a big release that would be so nice....another #1 single for The Beatles...now that would be amazing!!!!

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Bobber

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2008, 07:23:41 AM »

Quote from: 668
It is such a nice song....the video makes it so sad...i do wish they would release it...and make it a big release that would be so nice....another #1 single for The Beatles...now that would be amazing!!!!

It may be the way to stay ahead of Mariah Carey.

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2008, 05:58:09 AM »

I really hope they finish the song, but, if they are anything like me, itll never get done!
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »

good song.
nice voice John at about 1:11

BlueMeanie

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2008, 09:21:22 AM »

I really hope that this never sees the light of day. Some things should be left well alone, and this is one of them. What are we to call them now - The Twotles?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.506 seconds with 80 queries.