Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Titanic Picture (Oh Kathy.....!)  (Read 8913 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Titanic Picture (Oh Kathy.....!)
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 02:22:00 AM »

This thread is interesting.  I spent hours last night reading about the Titanic, Carpathia, and the Californian.  I read a fiction page of what might have happened had Evans not left his post early on the Californian and received the distress calls and Captain Lord hadent ignored the rocket flares being fired by the Titanic and they decided to head towards the ship.  They were only 15 to 20 miles away.  The article said they could have probably saved 400 more people even though experienced seamen estimated a little lower then that with the weather and so forth.  However you look at it, the Californian blew it.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 03:59:37 AM »

I just watched 'A Night To Remember'.   ha2ha

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 03:06:43 PM »

This thread is interesting.  I spent hours last night reading about the Titanic, Carpathia, and the Californian.  I read a fiction page of what might have happened had Evans not left his post early on the Californian and received the distress calls and Captain Lord hadent ignored the rocket flares being fired by the Titanic and they decided to head towards the ship.  They were only 15 to 20 miles away.  The article said they could have probably saved 400 more people even though experienced seamen estimated a little lower then that with the weather and so forth.  However you look at it, the Californian blew it.

I think the Californian blew it, too.  That's one of the hottest topics on Titanic forums, and the "Lordites" and "anti-Lordites" get unbelievably vicious. I usually just keep meekly quiet during those altercations.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 03:09:21 PM by Normandie »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 11:16:39 PM »

The 'Mystery Ship' is what I'm the most interested in.  I'm baffled that it was never recognized.  I'm not sure how that's even possible really.  More than Lord vouched that they saw it.  There would have to be records of said ship being there somewhere you would think.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »

I have always been intrigued by the uncanny coincidences surrounding the fate of The Titanic.

If you're familiar with this please indulge me but for those who don't know; Victorian journalist William Stead published a book in 1892 entitled "From the Old World to the New" in which a fictional vessel - The Majestic - rescues survivors from a collision between their passenger ship and an iceberg. The Majestic's captain is named Edward J. Smith. The real life captain of the real life Titanic which sank twenty years later was... Edward J. Smith.

It doesn't end there. Six years after Stead's book appeared, author Morgan Robertson wrote a novella entitled "Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan" in 1898 - still fourteen years before the real life sinking of RMS Titanic.

In this fictional story, the world's biggest ocean liner, The 800ft long Titan - triple propellored, described as "practically unsinkable" and travelling at 25 knots, is struck on the starboard side by an iceberg in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles from Newfoundland on a night in April. The ship has nowhere near the adequate complement of lifeboats for her capacity of 3,000 passengers and crew and sinks, claiming the lives of more than half of the 2,500 aboard.

Compare that with what really did happen over a decade later: the world's biggest ocean liner, the 882ft long Titanic - triple propellored, described as "unsinkable" and travelling at 22.5 knots, is struck on the starboard side by an iceberg in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles from Newfoundland on the night of 14th April, 1912. She had nowhere near the adequate complement of lifeboats for her 3,000 passengers and crew capacity and more than half of the 2,200 people aboard drowned when she sank. Believe it or not, one of those doomed victims was none other than William Stead - author of the first book.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »

I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 09:34:34 PM »

I have always been intrigued by the uncanny coincidences surrounding the fate of The Titanic.

Many uncanny coincides indeed. More were detailed in one of George Behe's first books: Titanic: Psychic Forewarnings of a Tragedy. Unfortunately, it's out of print and pretty difficult to find.

I just watched 'A Night To Remember'.   ha2ha

The book is even better! An easy, fascinating read. I couldn't put it down. You should give it a try; I bet you'd like it, Todd.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 09:39:06 PM »

Many uncanny coincides indeed. More were detailed in one of George Behe's first books: Titanic: Psychic Forewarnings of a Tragedy. Unfortunately, it's out of print and pretty difficult to find.

Omigosh, omigosh, omigosh; I just found and ordered it from an independent seller on Amazon! I've been checking used-book sites for years with no luck, and even contacted George himself several years ago.

Kelley, I owe you a huge debt of thanks for posting that picture, which eventually led me to re-check on this book. Mr. Mustard, I owe you a debt of thanks, too!

I'm going to go finish hyperventilating now.  ha2ha

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 09:39:47 PM »

Omigosh, omigosh, omigosh; I just found and ordered it from an independent seller on Amazon! I've been checking used-book sites for years with no luck, and even contacted George himself several years ago. Even he didn't think any more existed.

Kelley, I owe you a huge debt of thanks for posting that picture, which eventually led me to re-check on this book. Mr. Mustard, I owe you a debt of thanks, too!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 09:52:00 PM »

^

She must be very excited; hyperventilating and quoting herself and all.    ;D

KelMar

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 10:54:46 PM »

:) You're welcome. I hope your book arrives quickly. And that you had a paper bag handy for your hyperventilating episode.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 10:58:19 PM »

^

She must be very excited; hyperventilating and quoting herself and all.    ;D

ha2ha I didn't even notice that. I probably should have gone off to hyperventilate, calmed down, and then posted.  ;)

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »

Sorry, couldn't resist.   :angel:

What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 11:55:16 PM »

^^^ 
ha2ha 

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2015, 01:51:24 AM »

The 'Mystery Ship' is what I'm the most interested in.  I'm baffled that it was never recognized.  I'm not sure how that's even possible really.  More than Lord vouched that they saw it.  There would have to be records of said ship being there somewhere you would think.

A star?  A planet?  Or perhaps...

http://youtu.be/pKppSotWL3o

No one heard them calling
No one came at all
'Cause they were too busy watching
Those old raindrops fall

What do you think, Kathleen?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 02:28:21 AM »

If you're familiar with this please indulge me but for those who don't know; Victorian journalist William Stead published a book in 1892 entitled "From the Old World to the New" in which a fictional vessel - The Majestic - rescues survivors from a collision between their passenger ship and an iceberg. The Majestic's captain is named Edward J. Smith. The real life captain of the real life Titanic which sank twenty years later was... Edward J. Smith.

It doesn't end there. Six years after Stead's book appeared, author Morgan Robertson wrote a novella entitled "Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan" in 1898 - still fourteen years before the real life sinking of RMS Titanic.

In this fictional story, the world's biggest ocean liner, The 800ft long Titan - triple propellored, described as "practically unsinkable" and travelling at 25 knots, is struck on the starboard side by an iceberg in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles from Newfoundland on a night in April. The ship has nowhere near the adequate complement of lifeboats for her capacity of 3,000 passengers and crew and sinks, claiming the lives of more than half of the 2,500 aboard.

Compare that with what really did happen over a decade later: the world's biggest ocean liner, the 882ft long Titanic - triple propellored, described as "unsinkable" and travelling at 22.5 knots, is struck on the starboard side by an iceberg in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles from Newfoundland on the night of 14th April, 1912. She had nowhere near the adequate complement of lifeboats for her 3,000 passengers and crew capacity and more than half of the 2,200 people aboard drowned when she sank. Believe it or not, one of those doomed victims was none other than William Stead - author of the first book.

This cant be serious.  Its just to bizarre.  I've read what you typed three times Mr.M and I just cant wrap my mind around it.  That's just crazy.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 02:42:27 AM »

I've heard of the Robertson book before. I always thought it'd end up getting debunked it sounds so uncanny.  Someone would find the text had been substantially altered after the Titanic or something. But it seems everything said about the story is true. I love weird stories like that. Although the author never claimed any great mystery to his story beyond coincidence and the fact he was knowledgeable about maritime issues.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »

Here's a brief TIME article on the Robertson book and the Titanic:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/04/14/author-predicts-titanic-sinking-14-years-earlier/

KelMar

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »

This series of coincidences really is amazing. I tried to tell my daughter about it but she already knew. That happens way too often!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.847 seconds with 81 queries.