Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Where Were You?  (Read 82624 times)

Pitch

• Getting Better
  • Yes, I'm gonna be a Starr...
    • My Artwork
Re: Where Were You?
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2008, 02:00:06 PM »

No, I was not alive... I'm 15, yeah... But there's nowhere else to post this is there? If so, let me know... ^^

The first time I had heard about John Lennon's death was probably about 3 years ago. My mom had a guy at work who liked the Beatles. He had a picture of John with the headline, "The Day the Music Died" over it... I didn't know who it was, but the face stayed with me.
Now that I'm a die-hard Beatles fan, I remembered seeing the face and that it was John's...
So yesterday was the 8th, if course. George's death date had been over my Thanksgiving break.
I dressed up in my best skirt and shirt and jewelry to school. I never wear skirts or jewelry to school, so people noticed at least...
So people were asking me why I was dressed up, and I told 'em.
Somehow, it wasn't a very sad day... I felt really peaceful. ^^
Sad thing, though, is that I saw 4 people with Beatles shirts on yesterday. None of them knew what day it was.
But, it's a new day, and let's head into the future, guys!

I guess I'm a bit young. ^^ I'm not sure who Cosell is.~

Bobber

« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2008, 02:13:56 PM »

Sandra, first video is no longer available. Can you please upload another version of it?  :)

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2008, 02:33:31 PM »

Quote from: 1255
Yep, my husband heard about it the same way on Monday Night Football.  

My dad said that he did too.  I wasn't born til 9 years later, wasn't even though of (my parents didn't even get together til '85)

It's so sad to even think about.  Such an amazing mind taken so young :(

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Bobber

« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2008, 02:42:52 PM »

I just posted this on Al's forum:

I wasn't as much into The Beatles myself at that time. I was fifteen years old and was on my way discovering The Beatles via Paul McCartney's Wings. I was into Paul's London Town and Back To The Egg a lot since 1977 or so. Somehow I had just found out that Paul used to be in the famous Beatles, together with John Lennon. John had no output in the second half of the seventies, so he had not really caught my ears and eyes up till then. I remember not being very impressed by (Just Like) Starting Over and couldn't really understand the fuzz about it. I thought (and think) that Paul's output of that time was much more interesting.
On the 9th of December I remember that I heard about the news at school. In my mind it was all over the place. The first lesson of the day was Biology and I knew I had to get home as quickly as possible. Instead I sat there half a day wasting my time. I realized there was a lot of Beatles music on the radio all day and as I hadn't got the money to buy records, I had to tape everything from the radio. The days after John died, I collected a treasure of tapes full of Beatles music.
Funny thing is that in the mid-seventies (my sisters bought the red album. When was that, 1976?), I thought that The Beatles were a long long time ago. In fact, they had only split up six years before.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2008, 02:31:16 AM »

Quote from: 63
Sandra, first video is no longer available. Can you please upload another version of it?  :)

It's weird. It doesn't work here, but if you go to youtube, it works. I can't find another version. Here's the direct link.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gcdz1IRVoM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gcdz1IRVoM</a>

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2008, 03:29:50 AM »

^ Check the user box in the top right hand corner: a few like this one say "embedding disabled by request" in the embed box, and you can only link to them indirectly. A couple of my youtubes have gone the same way.  :)

Bobber

« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2008, 08:16:05 AM »

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, moderator Geoff.  ;D

beatlemaniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2009, 11:43:37 PM »

I was being conceived. Literally, that was the estimated date given by the doctor that I was conceived and my parents have told me a rather disturbing story about my dad turning on the TV "right after" *shudder* and seeing the news.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2009, 12:13:16 AM »

^  Um.  Whoooa.   ??)

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2009, 06:46:49 PM »

Well, that's a scary, disturbing story for your grandchildren. (if you ever have any, that is)
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2009, 10:15:14 PM »

Wasn't born til 84 but my Dad told me he was going to a concert and when he heard John died he cried and didn't go to the concert he and his brother were mad Beatles fans had wigs etc. My Dad's brother gave me orginal papers after John's death in good condition for Xmas last year.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2009, 10:48:06 PM »

What is - original papers? What are they about?

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2009, 11:07:56 PM »

^  I think he meant original newspapers from the day John Lennon died. :-/

MandyBug

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »

I wasn't born yet...I wasn't born until 1982.

I do have to say, though, that my parents' anniversary is December 6th, 1980...two days before.  

For some reason, that's stuck with me for 13 years.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2009, 09:39:18 PM »

Quote from: 1863
I wasn't born yet...I wasn't born until 1982.

the year i was born and strangely it is the 6th December.  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2009, 10:37:28 PM »

Quote from: 614
the year i was born and strangely it is the 6th December.  :)

Talk about coincidences, eh!

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Deb

• A Beginning
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2009, 11:34:50 PM »

I didn't hear about John's death until the next day.  I was already in bed and asleep when they made the announcement on Monday Night Football.   I was in shock for days after I heard the news.  

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2009, 04:34:25 AM »

Does anyone still hear certain songs and immediately link it to that day/week? A Day in the Life affected me like that for years. Finally, I can listen to it without thinking back. I had to listen to it A LOT though to make it loose that association. Only because the first time I had heard it was that week after his death. And many, many times at that.  But today I heard Watching the Wheels, and there it was again. Right back to that time. They always say songs do that. Link you to a specific time and place. So I'm sure most of us alive back then have one or two that do this to us.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2009, 01:12:18 AM »

I was 18 and living in my hometown. It was summer and we used to swim in the irrigation channels near the town. It was late afternoon, Tuesday December 9th and i was driving a mate home. The radio was on and had something about Yoko Ono in the middle of the news. I wasn't really listening and asked my friend was going on. He said(quote) 'that John Lennon guy has been shot'. I nearly drove off the road in horror! I screamed' what? I like him! Jesus!.  Then i saw it all on the news that night.

I've got into scriptwriting this last year, as a hobby, and my first completed one is a sci-fi adventure about two Liverpool guys who travel back in time to try and save John.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2009, 09:14:24 PM »

Quote from: 2080
I was 18 and living in my hometown. It was summer and we used to swim in the irrigation channels near the town. It was late afternoon, Tuesday December 9th and i was driving a mate home. The radio was on and had something about Yoko Ono in the middle of the news. I wasn't really listening and asked my friend was going on. He said(quote) 'that John Lennon guy has been shot'. I nearly drove off the road in horror! I screamed' what? I like him! Jesus!.  Then i saw it all on the news that night.

I've got into scriptwriting this last year, as a hobby, and my first completed one is a sci-fi adventure about two Liverpool guys who travel back in time to try and save John.

That would have been the thing I would have done if I could travell in time.  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 89 queries.