Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Which album shows more of what the Beatles were?  (Read 12279 times)

Lostio

• Getting Better
Which album shows more of what the Beatles were?
« on: April 14, 2005, 05:04:35 PM »

This is about telling which album you feel has a best Beatles-defining touch to it? Which one represents most of the Beatles' main characteristics? Which album you think defines the Beatles best?

Although my favorite album is The White Album, I think that the album that shows more of what the Beatles really were is... hard to choose. I don't know, but I feel The White Album is more of an experience album, when they were testing all these new things in their songs, and it worked out wonderful.

But what the Beatles really were, what defines them most, I believe may be Abbey Road. But I'm not sure. I'll have to think about it a bit more.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Which album shows more of what the Beatles were?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 07:18:57 PM »

I believe it's Abbey Road.  It shows many solid, clean recordings done by them, with great vocals from all, and orchestrations when needed and such, and at the end of the album, you see that all this is coming from four men with guitars and drums, as The End is just them all doing solos, and singing with great harmonies.  If I were to introduce someone to the Beatles, this album would do because it shows all the Beatles' strong points.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 09:12:22 PM »

Rubber Soul. I think it showcases their musical sophistication while still being somewhat upbeat.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 11:32:34 PM »

'Revolver'. It has everything and they were at their creative apex. From schmaltz to driving pop to what I think is John's Beatle masterpiece, "Tomorrow Never Knows". While other people were doing the frug and trying to catch up and copy what the Beatles were doing two years prior, John was hoisting out the Tibetan Book of the Dead, backwards stuff, compressed vocals. It was 1966 fer cryin' out loud. Incredible. The rest of the album is good too.

GL

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 01:20:50 AM »

I'd say Revolver. As juniorsfarm said, it has a little bit of everything on it. There are traces of their earlier work to be found on the album, as well as hints at what was to come. It also showcases some of John and Paul's best songs, as well as some really good songs by George.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 07:48:43 AM »

Revolver. Juniorsfarm said it all
don't follow leaders

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 07:43:32 PM »

Yeah, probably Revolver and for most of junior's reasons.

The odd thing is, if I had to choose a second one that best represented them I'd probably pick Help! which sounds nothing like Revolver.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

sexy sadie

• Getting Better
  • once there was a way to get back home...
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 09:31:37 PM »

i'd say abbey road. it has a little bit of each of them, and it just shows their total creativity. :)
Ashley*

one sweet dream, pick up the bags and get in the limousine. soon we'll be away from here. step on the gas and wipe that tear away. one sweet dream came true today...

[img]http://img122.exs.cx/img122/8264/jsj21oc.jpg[/img

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 04:13:54 AM »

BTW Lostio good thread! :)

I would go with Abbey Road, like sexy sadie said it does show their creativity

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 07:15:50 AM »

This is a VERY interesting question. And I found I couldn't answer it directly.

But I asked myself, which albums show the Fabs repeating themselves, or not exhibbiting their famous creativity? I found that easier to answer - here they are: the "plodding" Beatles albums:

With The Beatles - to some extent, but not much.
Help - certainly. Some folk would put Beatles For Sale here too.
Abbey Road (yeah, here I go again: but honestly, people pump this album far too much)
Let It Be

So that leaves PPM, AHDN, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Pepper and White as the answer to Lostio's question. So many albums - but THAT'S why the Beatles are so great.

MrMustard11

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 07:57:12 AM »

Hmm... Abbey Road is my choice... Why? First off, it's where the studio is located that they recorded for most of their career, so it highlights that... It's go so many moods from each of the Beatles, George's first hit, Ringo's underwater adventure, and of course all the Lennon/McCartney hits... And the medley...

If you look at what the Beatles were and what everyone else was around them, you'd see that the Beatles had the most musical quality in their music. This album highlights that... It was what they were all about... Just making great sounding music...

And I can even boil it down to one single song: The End... It has everything... A great solo from Ringo, an awesome three way guitar showdown between the main guys... a highlight of the harmonizing skills of George, John and Paul, and of course, a great song!

And not to mention, probably, the most important lyric the Beatles ever put out... the boiling point of all of their music: "And in the end... the love you take, is equal to the love you make..." Such an important and seemingly overlooked (by everyone other than true beatle fans!) lyric... Who wrote that? Paul?

Anyway, I don't think anyone could ever replicate such an amazing album... I haven't really heard any... This album, I can listen to all the time all the way through... And it may be one of the few I can do that with...

I Want You is my all-time favorite Lennon song! Ah! I just love blasting it in the car while waiting in the parking lot for someone or at a red light with the windows down! That end! So climactic! Gotta love it!

2 thumbs up from me!

Lostio

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 05:28:56 PM »

Quote from: Sie_Liebt_Dich
BTW Lostio good thread! :)

Thanks. :)

I think all albums represent a little of what the Beatles were and Abbey Road puts it all in one. My main choice would be either Abbey Road or Revolver.

Abbey Road has their style (You Never Give Me Your Money, Maxwell's Silver Hammer), their ballads (Something, Here Comes the Sun - George has the credit in this case), their rockers (She Came In Through the Bathroom Window, I Want You), and some still upbeat (Come Together).

Maybe Revolver would supere Abbey Road, because it also has the psychadelia effect, which was a big part of their career.

It does still have their style/creativity (Eleanor Rigby, Got To Get You Into My Life), ballads (Here There and Everywhere, For No One), heavier rockers (And Your Bird Can Sing, She Said She Said), and the psychadelia (Tomorrow Never Knows, I'm Only Sleeping), a bit of their still upbeat (Taxman, Doctor Robert) and some of the outside-influenced songs (Love You To).

But I think that Abbey Road represents what the Beatles actually were: a creative upbeat band, which could be soft enough to make ballads and rough enough to make rockers. Revolver maybe resumes more of what the Beatles DID, and not what they actually stood for and represented. So, therefore, I'd pick either Abbey Road or Revolver.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 11:43:28 PM »

'Revolver' is my favorite album, but i'm not choosing it. I suppose i'll go with the 'White Album' for the diversity. Almost every type of musical styles are represented here, and I think thats what the Beatles are most remembered for. If ever there was a band that threw the listening public curve balls, it was the Beatles.

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 03:43:14 AM »

Its a tough question all the way around. No other artist or group progressed as quickly  and dramatically as the Beatles and each album has them doing their best stuff from that time period, and they did it without ever embarrasing themselves, unlike, say, the Stones with their foray into psychedelia with 'Stanic Majesties Request'. 'Rubber Soul' was them at their best in 1965, 'Revolver', 'Pepper', they just grew and developed so quickly and substantially in such a short amount of time. To go from 'Love Me Do' to 'Helter Skelter' in 6 years is mind boggling.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 12:10:48 PM »

Though not my personal favourite, I'd go for A Hard Days Night. The sheer rush of Beatlemania, the mastery of the pop song, the ballsy optimism.
 Like everyone I tend to concentrate on the later albums, because I guess they are a better listen. But I'm sure history will remember them more for Beatlemania than psychedelia.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 03:25:07 PM »

But I'm sure history will remember them more for Beatlemania than psychedelia.

Which is sad, really. Whenever I ask a non-fan about the Beatles they always think about for happy moptops in matching suits, when really they were only like that for... three years, at the most.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 03:53:09 PM »

Quote from: Mairi

Which is sad, really. Whenever I ask a non-fan about the Beatles they always think about for happy moptops in matching suits, when really they were only like that for... three years, at the most.

I hear ya, but I don't know if its all bad. Their music was unique and had a huge impact beyond the haircuts and suits. And it was the only time they were unrivalled as kings of rock (or pop, or whatever)
We never really discuss the Beatlemania thing here, its like The Beatles began with For Sale. I reckon With the B's and AHDN are seriously good albums, and stand head and shoulders above the competion.
And the "serious" Beatles only lasted 3-4 years, so its a tie timewise
don't follow leaders

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 07:59:08 PM »

I agree with Kevin B (hey that rhymes!!!)

The Beatles were ALWAYS serious about their music and were pushing back the barriers from the very start. Remember, they were writing and performing their OWN songs - that was extremely rare back in the early sixties and they even refused to release singles penned by anyone other than themselves.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 10:25:06 AM »

I think AHDN has been overlooked in this thread. There have been some great reasonings for this great topic but I'm gonna go with the Kev.B.

When I first got into Beatles it was AHDN. Theres the movie association to back it up and a good balance of vocals and ballads in their live ensemble, rather than the over dubs feel of their incredible later albums. Also it was when the covers were dropped.
That is not to say it's my fave album, I much prefer the later Rubber Soul onwards but feel that they were growing away from their potential typecasting as to what they will be mainly remembered for.

That's what I feel is the feel for now. lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Tontini

• One And One Is Two
  • Love is all and love is everyone
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 12:27:16 PM »

A Hard Day's Night because it shows Lennon at his peak, it shows them playing rock n' roll which they did for 5 albums, and that's why most people know them for. Besides, it rocks, and the Beatles rock too!
Oh dear
What can I do?
Baby's In Black and I'm feeling blue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 87 queries.