Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Where do they go? (Mudane question warning here)  (Read 1586 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Where do they go? (Mudane question warning here)
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »

Sorry, this is a pretty boring question ...

I'm pretty new to forum worlds, at least I don't get out and about all that much. I have noticed a pattern though on this forum, and the one or two others I'm a member of - some poster arrives, posts an amazing amount for a few months, then goes away, suddenly, never to be heard from again. I've noticed it on this forum, even from a mod (the gent with the Elizabethan-looking guy in his avatar).

These folks are like supernovas - flash, then poof they're gone. What do people think is the reason for this - boredom and they've moved on to other pursuits? The law has finally caught up with them? Their spouses put the kabosh on their computer time...?

(After we get this sorted out, we'll work on the incredibly important issue - how the moon can look like an oval -I mean if the earth is roundish, shouldn't it always look like there's a piece chomped out of the moon?)

Signed,

IDAT BTWISD

(I'll do anything today but the work I'm supposed to do)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
Re: Where do they go? (Mudane question warning here)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 06:00:46 PM »

Maybe they've had stuff happen in life that's more important than a forum?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:42:27 PM »

Quote from: 682
Maybe they've had stuff happen in life that's more important than a forum?

This I understand, but it's the huge magnitude and the suddenness of the change that I wonder about. Maybe they had incredible amounts of time to do this posting when they started, and then something came up all of a sudden that brought their "posting time" to complete zero all of a sudden. It's not like they post an average volume, then tail off or disappear ...

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 06:43:46 PM »

i converse with a canadian woman...online since b4 2003....we have been to a few forums together....the forums gather and lose momentum...new blood,fresh perspectives and a learning atmosphere are quality conditions for a forum and that is here in spurts...but it does have to be interesting to keep the attention of newbies...there a more than a few things that will drive people away...i am one factor  ;D,another is sometimes they sense a click of people sticking together...they do move on sometimes too from growing up to being insulted away....some get busy...some forget their passwords...some 4get they joined...some lurk invisiblably,collecting data on you and me and joe meek  ;D other may feel they have nothing to add,are out brained or lack skills but me i am here for the beer...some feel they don't belong...major factor here friends is what keeps good people here,because there are good ones here.....
still others solve the problem that caused them to reach out...
so me and my forum buddy manon have been friendly for a long time oops gotta go get my kids from the stop more later net friends do last....................................

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 07:07:05 PM »

sometimes times jealousy does play a key factor...my wife is forever the green eyed monster....but she deals with it...anything that takes her time with me is bad...but i neglect things...it's bad..but i get things done despite..

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:22:31 PM »

Hard to say why people leave the forum. One reason may be that they feel outsiders and see no contact, like one of the posters wrote that nobody has a word to say and does not address him/her directly, as if he/she were not there. Another reason is that they get bored and lose interest in the subject, or may never have had it at all and joined the forum just being curious and having a slight fondness of the band not enough to sustain them longer. Others might have more exciting things to do in real life or start getting busy at home or at work. For example, there was Mr Mustard but he disappeared, I liked his positive enthusiasm, though. There was Mr Dude, he disappeared after nobody had reacted to his post about censorship in Britain and it getting harsher. He was a very good poster. Mr G-mod also left for not clear reasons. What a pity! He was very-very nice. But these are all big boys who know what they are doing. It`s their choice.
However, there is another category of posters. They appear, write something about how happy they are to have found this forum. Then they immediately send their fabulous pictures, impressing everybody, and disappear, I guess, waiting for somebody interested to pm them, which was their aim in the first place. Yes, you are right, these have been ladies. I haven`t been here long but I`ve already noticed this tendency.
Also those who leave may find some forums more to their liking.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 11:50:03 PM »

Sometimes it just gets boring. I've went through spurts without posting for eons because there just wasnt anything to post about. After 5 or so years, you can pretty much bet that almost every subject matter of the Beatles has been touched upon in one way or another. Its just the way it is.

Another thing is some people come here and have a million posts by their 2nd week. That aggravates the p*ss out of me too. I mean, how many smiley faces and three word posts can you make in one day? If you have something to add,,,make it count for the most part.

Oh yeah, PC does chase them off also.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 12:02:52 AM »

I signed up here I think it was last July and posted a bit, but then stopped til I think about August or September.  I think that it was that I didn't really want to be part of the internet world anymore, but then it was like, "ah whatever happened to that forum?  Is it another Shabby?"  LOL and I've been kinda hooked ever since...

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 01:22:20 AM »

I think I somewhat fall into that catergory.  When I first found the site I posted at least once a day if not more.  Now, I try to make sure I check in at least every few days.  

It kinda sucks but I am the type of person who gets all hyped up for something and then want to quit half-way through because I get bored so easily.  

But, like I said before, I still make sure I pop in a couple of times a week.  I really do like this board and the people who post here, and I will forever love the Beatles.  But I guess I have slowed down a bit in the last few months.

I too have noticed that some people join, post like 5 posts and you never hear from them again.  And that some people are in full swing and it seems like the dropped off the face of the earth, never to be heard from again.  Who knows what their deal is.
<br />

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 01:29:20 AM »

I think some people come and go because the forum's not that important to them.  Maybe they feel like they don't fit in or they just get bored with the main topic.  People just move on.

It's a shame about Geoff, he seemed really nice.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 02:49:18 AM »

Yes Geoff was cool, I really liked reading his posts and loved his sense of humour.  Maybe he will come back....
<br />

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 03:04:29 AM »

^ He really should, the ratio of Canadians to others has dropped! :( Mairi and myself holding down the fort

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 11:14:02 AM »

In real life people come and go , it's just the way it is .
I've been thinking of having a break , there is a world beyond the net , but if i do go i will be back (smile)

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 12:43:23 PM »

Quote from: 971
In real life people come and go , it's just the way it is .
I've been thinking of having a break , there is a world beyond the net , but if i do go i will be back (smile)
dTwFkQMDGdw

ocassionally we all need a break....don't worry it's bi-pedal nature...

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 76 queries.