Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Beatles logo.  (Read 9471 times)

Brynjar

• Getting Better
The Beatles logo.
« on: August 25, 2005, 05:09:17 PM »

A little trivia. Does anyone here know who created the logo?
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: The Beatles logo.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 02:32:54 AM »

i think it was derek taylor.......

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 02:41:14 AM »

Nevermind. It says Ivor Arbiter.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 02:42:09 AM »

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 05:56:41 AM »

William Ludwig jr, former president and owner of the Ludwig drum company, exlpains his version of the logo
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 09:44:12 AM »

If only Ivor had known about copyrite! lol.. Great info!!!
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 10:36:03 AM »

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 10:36:30 AM »

could opper be thieving??????

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 11:25:27 PM »

Browsing the Moondogs as a guest I suspect.

Just joshing around.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 11:27:25 PM »

its says it was also eddie stokes....shake and bake and eddie helped i mean....

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 02:30:44 PM »

the logo creator is mentioned in dezo hoffman's picture book I think; can't remember his name tho

---powered by Moondogs®---

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 03:35:26 PM »

[size=14]Ivor Arbiter[/size]

Ivor Arbiter (1929-2005) was a UK-based designer, manufacturer, distributor, and retailer of drums.

In the late 1950's, Arbiter opened the legendary Drum City on Shaftesbury Avenue in the middle of London's music center. In 1962, a relatively obscure young man named Ringo Starr came to Drum City with his manager, Brian Epstein, in order to replace his well-worn set of drums. Dave Martin, a salesman at Music City, talked up the Drum City-exclusive Ludwig Drums to Ringo. Ringo fell in love with the new Black Oyster Pearl drum finish and when he learned that it was only available on Ludwig Drums, he was sold.

There was one catch, however, as Ringo insisted that a large Ludwig logo be printed across the bass drum head. At that time Ludwig did not put logos on its drumheads. Epstein quickly countered that the band was called

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 03:39:42 PM »

[size=14]The Story Behind Ringo

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 03:41:22 PM »

[size=14]Features - A Tribute to Ivor Arbiter (1929-2005)[/size]

The following tribute was published in the matchday programme on 23rd August 2005.

"He was a true gentleman." Those were the words most used in the many tributes that were paid to the Chairman, via letter, card, telephone or e-mail. In fact, everyone that he met in football was treated as a friend and with respect. A friendship and respect that became mutual. And any Hendon supporter asking the Chairman an honest, sensible question was given an honest and sensible answer.

In almost every boardroom in and around the south east and beyond Ivor was quick to sing the praises of our Supporters Association, and for a man who had been so successful in business, he stood in wonder and respect at the work done by the Supporters Committee and its helpers in fundraising activities and in the work carried out by them and all our other volunteers on matchdays. They were not just supporters - to Ivor they were all friends.

A local man, he first became associated with Hendon Football Club when the Arbiter Group Plc became sponsors and we carried the famous 'Fender' guitar logo on our shirts, but it was to be a couple of years later, in August 1994, that he became our Chairman.

It was of course in the music industry that he made his name, and just like football, he was a highly respected figure in that field. It was Ivor who designed the Beatles logo featuring the dropped 'T' and he also sold Eric Clapton his first Fender Stratocaster. Jimi Hendrix was also one of his customers. His obituary in the Daily Express said that Ivor was regarded as a "hero to musicians." Well, he was also a bit of a hero to many Hendon fans as well.

Drums were Ivor's personal interest and he opened a shop called Drum City in the heart of London's music quarter on Shaftesbury Avenue in the Fifties. He was noted in the trade for his long list of 'firsts' - introducing new products into this country he made his shop an aladdins cave for musicians. More significantly he introduced the first Fender Stratocaster to Britain. If you wanted to purchase a set of drums from an expert it was Ivor you went to and with that in mind Brian Epstein was drawn to his shop with an unknown drummer - Ringo Starr. He sold Ringo a set of Ludwig drums and that brand went on to become the number one choice for drummers everywhere.

Ivor was unique in the music industry, always looking for new things to introduce and develop. You won't need many clues as to who first introduced Karaoke to Britain - yes, it was Ivor! Two years ago when he retired from the Arbiter company did he decide to give up work at 73 years of age? No! He opened up his own small factory in Dorset producing a drum set that he designed!

It was of course his football business that endeared him to Hendon supporters and it was on his instruction that the Arbiter Group purchased the club from Victor Green in August 1994. Midday on Friday 12th August was the deadline for the club to fulfil its commitments for the season. That deadline came and went and the clubs very future hung in the balance. We went into our first game at Slough Town the following day not knowing if there would ever be a second game. The agreement finally went through on the Monday. Without the eleventh hour intervention of the Chairman there would be no Hendon Football Club today.

Although his funeral service was held just 24 hours after his passing it was attended by an incredible number of people. They came from the music business, his boat club, professional football, non-league football and friends alike. So many that the service had to be relayed to many more people outside on television screens. At the end of the service a lone female singer sung his favourite song "My Way." Somehow, her voice full of emotion, she managed to get through the song, there could not have been a dry eye in the place. It was a wonderfully moving farewell.

from here: http://www.hendonfc.net/features/ivor.shtml

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 03:43:43 PM »

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 03:45:38 PM »

By the start of 1963 the band's arsenal of equipment had grown to include a healthy number of "professional" instruments. Lennon usually played his trusty '58 Rickenbacker 325 and Harrison his Gretsch Duo jet, both using their newly re-covered black Vox AC-30 amplifiers. Lennon and Harrison used their Gibson J-160E acoustic-electric guitars as backups to their Rickenbacker and Gretsch instruments. Ever more frequently, the f-160Es were used live as well as on radio and television performances. McCartney played his '61 Hofner violin bass through his Quad amp and the newly re-covered "coffin" speaker cabinet. Starr meanwhile continued to play his mahogany-coloured Premier drum set with the Premier logo and "Ringo Starr" lettering painted on the from of the bass-drum head - although that would soon change.

With their first prestigious British tour scheduled to start on February 2nd, The Beatles decided once more to improve the appearance of their stage equipment. Starr's name had to be taken off the front of his drum-head. After all, the group were going to be seen by thousands of new potential fans during their first real tour. They didn't want people walking away after the performance wondering what the band was called ... or thinking it might be The Ringo Starr Band. It was time to design a Beatles logo for the front of the bass drum.

Various drawings that McCartney made for a Beatles logo were published in his brother Mike's 1981 book, The Macs. These interesting documents show the preliminary sketches that would eventually become the group's "bug" logo. The ideas were taken to a local signwriter in Liverpool, Tex O'Hara, whose brother Brian was guitarist in another Epstein-managed band, The Fourmost.

Tex explains, "We played around with different ideas to find out. which ones they liked. I did about live to ten drawings - which I've still got - and showed them to the group. They settled on one logo, which was put on a piece of linen and stretched across the front of the drum." 2 This second bass-drum head on Starr's Premier drum set was plain while, without the Premier brandname and with the new Beatle "bug" logo. This had a script-style "Beatles", the "B" of which was decorated with two bug-like antennae. It was simply drawn on a piece of cloth that was stretched across the drum head, and held down with the bass-drum's mounting hoops.

from here: http://www.wingspan.ru/bookseng/babiuk/06_CHAPTER_6.doc

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 04:32:12 PM »

Cool, Raxo. Thanks!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 04:38:20 PM »

Quote from: 551
Cool, Raxo. Thanks!
A pleasure ... I was bored and decided to B[size=9]ring[/size]U[size=9]p[/size]T[size=9]his[/size]T[size=9]hread[/size] because I think it's curious  :) ...

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 03:19:25 AM »

Quote from: 297
A pleasure ... I was bored and decided to B[size=9]ring[/size]U[size=9]p[/size]T[size=9]his[/size]T[size=9]hread[/size] because I think it's curious  :) ...

Thank you, raxo

Here's something I keep in my office:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:13:06 AM by Hello Goodbye »
I can stay till it's time to go

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 03:57:46 PM »

Logo on Apple isn't just any apple. It's Granny Smith apple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granny_Smith

Granny Smith apples are a light speckled green in color, though some may have a pink blush. They are crisp, juicy, tart apples which are excellent for both cooking and eating of the hand. They also are favored for salads because the slices do not brown as quickly as other varieties. A Granny Smith Apple usually has a slightly more sour, sharp flavor than other apples. It also tends to have a harder texture than other green apples, posing problems for denture wearers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Records
A Granny Smith is the apple used on labels for Apple Records.

I wrote something of this in some other post, but nobody was interested in agronomy and fruits :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.828 seconds with 85 queries.