Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Intro + "Muppet cover" just a dream??  (Read 4081 times)

OldTop

• One And One Is Two
Intro + "Muppet cover" just a dream??
« on: October 06, 2005, 07:02:09 PM »

:)
Hi everybody! I am a Quebecer fan back from 1970. Became crazed with the Beatles practically overnight, at 12 of age, some 3 or 4 months after they had split up! And in a way, I still am, today at 47! The thing happened on one of those lazy summer afternoons when you run out of fun things to do and you almost long for school to resume... I asked that good pal of mine if he had ever heard those pop radio melodies I was pretty sure were from the Beatles, I proceeded to hum these to him... Sure, he said, just come over to my place, my older brother HAS ALL THOSE RECORDS!!! Sure enough, he spent he rest of the day spinning those wonderful, cool looking Apple 45s he had - much all the Beatles Apple singles in fact - and full blast... The world was just never the same for me after that trip!

Anyway, here is my query. Did I DREAM seeing the Muppets on the Ed Sullivan Show back in '69 or '70, lip-synching Come Together, all dressed up and bearded like the Beatles?
From the moment I got Internet in '97, I have been looking for a link on this and just never found one! So either I don't know where to really look, or I have simply imagined all this...
If no one else here saw this skit, could anyone help me get to a good link, where I could try and settle this once and for all... or go back to sleep!?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: Intro + "Muppet cover" just a dream??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 07:06:10 PM »

Welcome and let's hope you'll enjoy the forums.

Just a question: were The Muppets already born in 1969?

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 07:37:28 PM »

Welcome. I KNOW you will enjoy the forums.

Lets see if we can help you with The Muppets thing.

OldTop

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 07:56:02 PM »

Hi Bobber,
The Muppets had been appearing regularly on Ed's show since the Fifties I guess. The only character from those original old ones I can recall that made it in the actual Muppet Show of the 70s was Kermit the Frog , but then maybe I am wrong (+ Piggie?).

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 10:13:17 AM »

Some researching:

1966 Regular appearances begin on "The Ed Sullivan Show," which will last through 1971; Additional appearances on "The Mike Douglas Show" and "The Hollywood Palace."

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 11:07:40 AM »

There is a recording of Come Together from April 12th, 1970. It was not included on the dvd, due to copyrights. Found that here:

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/merchandise/muppets_magic_dvd.shtml

I couldn't find a link or shot from the clip however.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 11:31:06 AM »

I thought it was Sesame Street first and then later on they made the Muppets using characters from Sesame Street.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 11:31:36 AM »

Oh and by the way, WELCOME OLD TOP!!! ;D

OldTop

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 01:04:23 PM »

Thanks for the welcome and...
Bobber... YOU ROCK MY PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and thousand thanks for the wonderful link: gotta have that DVD!!)
I was seriously beginning to doubt my sanity and/or memory about this... Thanks to Yoko Ono I imagine, this appearance of the Muppets as The Beatles had apparently been shunned all the while (and still is) by classic TV media.
But I can tell you this: even though I wasn't exactly into the Beatles yet in April '70 (come to think of it, perhaps this was Jim Henson's bow to the Beatles quitting the business as our beloved group, as CT was not at all a very recent hit then. so it wasn't any promo of some sort), I had heard CT on the radio before that, I knew what the Beatles started to look like in recent years, and I could tell that the Muppets' "impression" was a gas!!! I remember quite vividly that each time John sang his claking "Shoot me" on the chorus, his flat top hat (like the one he was wearing on the cover of The Ballad of J&Y) went up in the air springing a little bit, then landed back in its place... This was hysterical!!
And come to think of it even yet... Who knows if this specific appearance of the Fab Four as The Muppets isn't what actually turned me on in the first place! Because I was actually a bit obsessed with that song since its release (heard a lot on the radio, didn't buy records yet then), so this skit was for me sort of the first and only "clip" of the Beatles performing CT!

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 01:16:23 PM »

You're welcome, in many ways!

OldTop

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 06:27:53 PM »

Right, probably more than a coincidence there! Jim Henson, being this long-time regular guest of Ed Sullivan, must have been aware that Ed had always been a great champion of The Beatles, which you surely know, from their very beginnings in the USA right up to airing a "clip" from Let it Be (can't remember the song though, probably the title track) around the time the movie was released - or was it around the time it actually got recorded (perhaps even!)...
And the choice of CT by JH was a hip and daring one... double-entendre, risqu

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 11:27:10 AM »

These Muppets and the Beatles surely have something in common.

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 03:45:00 PM »

Quote from: OldTop
gotta have that DVD!!

Well, did you get it?

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 06:50:51 PM »

Welcome Old Top...Some good reading there. I love The Muppets too. ;D
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 07:45:39 PM »

Ringo Starr's "Octopus's Garden"
Original Airdate: March 1, 1970

Since nobody really understands what this song is about, it's only fitting that the Muppets would pick this bizarre Ringo Starr tune. This scene features a nice water background and a singing clam sitting on a log. Like "Java" the performers are hidden from view as the characters swim in the water. Jim sings the lead as a sea-diving Muppet while Frank Oz performs an Octopus. It wasn't until "Sesame Street

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 10:56:58 AM »

This is the Muppets doing All Together Now:

http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=03AEDYYHZNVYD2O9IA8MJC9M1S

Soft_Guitar60

• Getting Better
  • surrender to the void
    • Beatlemania
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 05:07:05 PM »

Quote from: Bobber
Ringo Starr's "Octopus's Garden"
Original Airdate: March 1, 1970

Since nobody really understands what this song is about, it's only fitting that the Muppets would pick this bizarre Ringo Starr tune. This scene features a nice water background and a singing clam sitting on a log. Like "Java" the performers are hidden from view as the characters swim in the water. Jim sings the lead as a sea-diving Muppet while Frank Oz performs an Octopus. It wasn't until "Sesame Street

OldTop

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 06:17:03 PM »

SUPER, Bobber!!
I had no recollection at all of that bit, although I had been a fan of the show. (BTW, no, I still don't have the DVD. When I say "I gotta get it"... You have to stretch that intention to some extent! I WILL try to get it for sure!) I tried to make out who the guest star was in the dialogue bit in the end, but I couldn't tell...
The performance is top notch anyway! The "Can I take my friend to bed?" line transformed into "Do I have to go to bed?" is a bit "sullivanian" but really cute!!

To An Apple Beatle:
Thanks for the kind words!
What a terrific signature Paul-lookalike transformation!

Bobber

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 07:57:33 PM »

^Youre welcome. I'll try to spot Octopus. Not succesfull till now, however.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 05:19:29 AM »

i remember seeing alice cooper on the muppet show...
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 76 queries.