Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Vinyl or CD?  (Read 6879 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Vinyl or CD?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 11:45:47 AM »

I can see why people like the 'crackling' for nostalgic reasons, but I don't like it cause it's not supposed to be there. Furthermore, CDs are more convenient and they're easier to upload for my iPod. So I prefer CDs. But when I really like a record, I usually get it on CD and vinyl. Cause after all, LPs do look much cooler than CDs and are more interesting to collect.

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 11:52:24 AM »

vinyl...they look cool and...ya know.their thhe classic symbol of music
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 04:00:49 PM »

I wouldn't even mention crackling.. new vinyl is pristine.. it's great :D
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 11:01:17 PM »

It's embarrasing to go to a record store and see those old-printed Beatles CDs. They look so old! The entire Rolling Stones Decca catalog was re-issued in 2002 and looks so good compared to those 1987 editions of the Beatles CDs.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 04:52:29 AM »

Quote from: 713
It's embarrasing to go to a record store and see those old-printed Beatles CDs. They look so old! The entire Rolling Stones Decca catalog was re-issued in 2002 and looks so good compared to those 1987 editions of the Beatles CDs.

Agreed, and here's a possibly irrelevant question: how is SACD doing as a format? Has it caught on at all? Is there any point to reissuing The Beatles' catalog in the same dual-format way or would DTS (my guess) be a better idea?

fan numero uno

• A Thousand Pages
  • they love me, they love me a lot. they love me....
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 12:58:46 AM »

i have like, most of their CD's, and a lot of their records, but since we dont have a record player anymore, my dad is gonna sell them! he's gonna keep a few, like St. Pepper, to hang on the wall, but im trying to convince him to keep them. so far, its not working.  :'(
Love the Beatles, and all shall be right.                avatar created by freakchic

akire74

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 03:33:09 AM »

i know i'm gonna get boo-ed here but I'm gonna say neither.  I've had all the albums on CD for about 15 years now after listening to cassettes and my parents records before Cd's got big. This last year, I loaded all my Beatle Cds onto my MP3 player.  I hear things that I know it was never intended that I hear when I listen to it from the MP3.  Chatter among the boys and instruments I either didn't hear or notice before.  Its blows my mind because these are songs that are coming right from the Cd but I couldn't hear much of that stuff on the Cd but I hear it now that its loaded onto the MP3.  
I will confess that every now and then I'll go down and listen to an LP on my dads turntable.  There's something comfortable and familiar about them.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 08:06:53 AM »

Quote from: 1356
This last year, I loaded all my Beatle Cds onto my MP3 player.  I hear things that I know it was never intended that I hear when I listen to it from the MP3.  Chatter among the boys and instruments I either didn't hear or notice before.  Its blows my mind because these are songs that are coming right from the Cd but I couldn't hear much of that stuff on the Cd but I hear it now that its loaded onto the MP3.  

If you  take a CD and convert it to MP3 you will lose quality, so you're either imagining it, or you're listening to the MP3's with better earphones/headphones than the CD's.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »

Quote from: 483

If you  take a CD and convert it to MP3 you will lose quality, so you're either imagining it, or you're listening to the MP3's with better earphones/headphones than the CD's.

Hearing voices? They have medicine for that ...

Seriously, though - as far as I understand it, the quality one loses with conversion of CD .wav format to mp3 format has only to do with the dynamic range -  mp3s have less difference between the loudest and softest bits of the song because they are compressed more.

So it's not like the loss of quality associated with mp3s means losing sounds (or voices). I'm guessing BM is right ... are you listening to the CDs through home speakers across the room, but mp3 on headphones? That can make all the difference in the world.

Interesting observation ... please tell us more  :)

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

BlueMeanie

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 10:09:33 AM »

Quote from: 568
are you listening to the CDs through home speakers across the room, but mp3 on headphones? That can make all the difference in the world.

I don't listen to mp3's.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »

Quote from: 483

I don't listen to mp3's.

Sorry, BM, question was for akire74 who said he heard more on mp3s than his CDs.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Fruitcake

• One And One Is Two
  • Anything can happen if you let it
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 05:46:03 AM »

I much prefer the vinyl, just think the sound quality is better and the music just seems more concrete then on a CD or mp3 file. I have also noticed that there are some parts of the songs that are only on the vinyl and not on the CD's. Such as in let it be, i don't know if its just me or not, but i noticed more guitar on the vinyl.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 06:04:15 AM »

Quote from: 1618
I much prefer the vinyl, just think the sound quality is better and the music just seems more concrete then on a CD or mp3 file. I have also noticed that there are some parts of the songs that are only on the vinyl and not on the CD's. Such as in let it be, i don't know if its just me or not, but i noticed more guitar on the vinyl.

Welcome Fruitcake. With Let It Be it depends which version you're listening to. The single, and the album version have different guitar solo's.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »

for me, a CD is just more convenient but I love listening to them on vinyl.  I think that on vinyl it's the truest form, it's the way that they (and many other of bands) were ment to be heard.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »

I grew up listening the vinyl and that's what I listened to when I discovered the Beatles.  Vinyl is a listening experience.  It's like the artist when cutting the record have this set of songs for the first side, and the other set of songs for the second side, with one particular one for the closer.
Case in point........."Dark Side of the Moon" is a listening experience.  It opens with the heartbeat, goes into the songs, and the closer of side one is "Great Gig in The Sky".  You go, "Whoa" and thnking that was amazing, so you can't wait to flip the record over and see what side 2 has to offer.  And it starts out with "Money".  As was stated early, vinyl was not made to play songs continuously like a CD, vinyl was made to "experience" the music.  Just my view....I'm an "old head"............

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
    • le blog
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 01:11:11 PM »

^I totally agree!!!  I'm younger but I grew up listening to vinyl too.  I actually recently listened to Rumors by Fleetwood Mac on record recently and it just blew my mind.  I just like recording back then much better.  They only had a few takes to get the song and there was very little overdubbing, etc. that could be done.  They had to be better musicians, they had 8 tracks (if that) compared to like 72 now, not to mention that it cost much more to produce a record back then when now they have music recording in high schools.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 05:14:25 PM »

^^^^Thanks HeyJude!!!!  Vinyl is just very special to me..................

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 09:22:59 PM »

I've got them all on cd but i now want to purchase them all on Vinyl! i've got some beatles
records on vinyl but mostly given to me & they are in really good condition!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2008, 11:36:45 PM »

^^^^^^^^Go to your local used record store and you'll find alot........

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
    • le blog
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 02:54:47 AM »

Yeah, I've actually found most of mine at antiques stores or collectable sales.  Sometimes they're a little expensive but I wore a guy down enough that I ended up getting a John record for 5 bucks!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 88 queries.