Beatles forums > Polls

Poll: Which Is Your Favorite Version Of I'm Looking Through You?

(1/5) > >>

Hello Goodbye:
When Anthology was released, I was very impressed with Paul's first take of "I'm Looking Through You."  We know he was having some relationship problems with Jane Asher at the time.  The released version was quite tame in comparison to Take 1.  Although I liked this song for so many years, I feel Take 1 was worthy of release.  It was certainly as caustic as John's "Run For Your Life."  Paul really vented his feelings in that early take.  In many ways, I prefer Take 1.

Take 1...

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You (Take 1)

The released version...

The Beatles- I'm Looking Through You (2009 Stereo Remaster)

Which version do you prefer?

The End:
The Anthology version was definately missing something in my opinion - but it IS one of THE best out-takes from the Beatles' catalogue! It's just a shame that Paul didn't have the "why tell me why..." segment for take one.

Sondra:
I love the take 1 version. I was recently obsessed with it and played it over and over again. I thought I prefered it to the released version, but now I don't I don't know. I like them equally as much. The first version IS way more biting. Just the way he sings it and all. I love when he sings Your not the same! Great. I also love the more bluesy feel of it and the guitar parts where the Why oh why part usually is. But I like the Why oh why part too, so I do miss it.

Bobber:
For me too: the 'why tell me why'-part makes the official version better.

Hello Goodbye:

--- Quote from: Maccalvr ---I love the take 1 version. I was recently obsessed with it and played it over and over again. I thought I prefered it to the released version, but now I don't I don't know. I like them equally as much. The first version IS way more biting. Just the way he sings it and all. I love when he sings Your not the same! Great. I also love the more bluesy feel of it and the guitar parts where the Why oh why part usually is. But I like the Why oh why part too, so I do miss it.
--- End quote ---

You've summed up my feelings about the two versions, Sandra.  I suppose Take 1 shows that Paul was into Primal Scream Therapy years before John.

We're fortunate to have both takes.  By a slight margin, my preference is for Take 1, perhaps Paul's original concept.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version