Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Paul's albums  (Read 17545 times)

nimrod

Paul's albums
« on: June 20, 2014, 03:19:44 AM »

Some on here who read my drivel will know Ive never been overly impressed with Beatles solo stuff

Anyway Ive just been given mp3 versions of Pauls discography, every album he's made since McCartney, inc Wings, The Fireman.....everything...... so Im gonna listen to them all and when Im done Im gonna write some more drivel and tell you which I think is best......and worst

In the meantime, can you tell me which is your favourite, and why ?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Paul's albums
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 03:51:00 AM »

I can't say I listen a lot to Wings. Actually some of my favourite work by solo Paul have been his more recent stuff

Flaming Pie
Driving Rain
Chaos and Creation

All have things that stack up. Although all the albums have their clunkers.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 05:56:17 AM »

When you listen to them Kev let me know, maybe we can get back to the microscopes.

RAM - Closest to a Beatles album that any of the solo guys did. Fun with great song writing.
Flaming Pie - I consider this a comeback album from Paul. There's not a bad song on it in my opinion.
Chaos And Creation - Pauls mature album. An adult contemporary album instead of pop.
Back To The Egg - Pauls voice has never sounded better. I like everything on it.
Band On The Run - His classic, good album.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 06:15:35 AM »

Paul's gem is 'McCartney'.

It's the one closest to the 60s (some of it was even recorded in the 60s), avoids the increasingly stodgy early 1970's production of 'All Things Must Pass' and 'Plastic Ono Band', and, as such, pretty much anything on it wouldn't sound out of place on the 'White Album'.

It also has a fabulous cover, wonderful photographs, and was released at a time (just) when vinyl LPs in Britain were still beautifully made.

If it had been made by an unknown (Nick Drake, Rodriguez, Anne Briggs etc.), on a desirable label (Harvest, Island, Deram, or even Apple!), in 1970, and not sold a bean, it would now been attracting bids of £3,000 on eBay, and wouldn't be viewed as just another 'Beatles solo' LP.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:45:58 AM »

When you listen to them Kev let me know, maybe we can get back to the microscopes.

RAM - Closest to a Beatles album that any of the solo guys did. Fun with great song writing.
Flaming Pie - I consider this a comeback album from Paul. There's not a bad song on it in my opinion.
Chaos And Creation - Pauls mature album. An adult contemporary album instead of pop.
Back To The Egg - Pauls voice has never sounded better. I like everything on it.
Band On The Run - His classic, good album.

Actually yeah. Back to the Egg is good. I bought it when it first came out and listened to it a lot. Except for Rockestra which was a lot of great players to no good purpose.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 11:40:57 AM »

Fantastic: Ram, Chaos and Creation In The Backyard, Venus & Mars, Band On The Run
Great: Back To The Egg, Tug of War, Red Rose Speedway
Good: Wings at the Speed of Sound, London Town
Mediocre: Flaming Pie, McCartney, McCartney II
Avoid: Press to Play, Pipes of Peace

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

nimrod

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 12:18:11 PM »

Im listening to Flaming Pie, moog & Todd both have this highly rated

Ive never heard this album before but I do recognise a couple of tracks probably from the radio

Young Boy is a good song I like Somedays, Calico Sky  & Little Willow from first listen

My problem is they can never sound as good as say 'The Word' as the other Beatles are missing  :'(

this is always my problem, I want the others on there

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »

1. 'Ram'
2. 'McCartney'
3. 'Band On The Run'
4. 'Run Devil Run'
5. ...umm...I'll keep thing...

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »

I will give them new input pretty soon.

Note that no one mentions Pauls latest albums. Or Driving Rain, Off The Ground.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:36:34 PM »

Ive never heard this album before but I do recognise a couple of tracks probably from the radio

Young Boy is a good song I like Somedays, Calico Sky  & Little Willow from first listen

My problem is they can never sound as good as say 'The Word' as the other Beatles are missing  :'(

I think Calico Sky and Little Willow are lovely songs. Somedays and The Songs we were Singing are good ones too. Flaming Pie is a fun rave up. Probably a few to many that are perfectly ok but pass by without much spark. Like If You Wanna, Used to be Bad and The World Tonight.

Overall it's a good album. But yes, if only John and George were there for some harmonies.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 01:43:52 PM »

Off the Ground was his second using collaborations with Elvis Costello wasn't it, following Flowers in the Dirt? I think there's good songs on those albums but the production being still in that glossy 80s style turns me off a bit. I preferred Costellos demo version of Mistress and Maid for instance.

Driving Rain has a couple of good songs. From a Lover to a Friend is a great ballad. Lonely Road a really good rocker.  Not sure many others off the album made a huge impression on me but overall the standard was pretty good. Comes across as professional more than inspired.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »

nobody has mentioned New?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »

'Somedays' is my favorite McCartney song ever. I think its beautiful.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »

I think 'Off The Ground' is his most underrated album ever. I'll never know why it gets panned like it does. 'New' and 'Driving Rain' are clunkers so I wouldn't expect them to get much attention, but nobody mentioned 'Tug Of War' either and its one of his better albums.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »

I think 'Off The Ground' is his most underrated album ever. I'll never know why it gets panned like it does. 'New' and 'Driving Rain' are clunkers so I wouldn't expect them to get much attention, but nobody mentioned 'Tug Of War' either and its one of his better albums.
I really like Tug of war. I like Press to Play as well. I don't care if Paul doesn't like it it's got some different stuff there.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »

nobody has mentioned New?

I like it better than many others.

Might be my elusive #5.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 09:41:25 PM »

Yep. Tug of War is a good one I think. Very consistent with a few great songs.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 11:09:41 PM »

I really like Tug of war. I like Press to Play as well. I don't care if Paul doesn't like it it's got some different stuff there.

I never could get into Press to Play. I remember buying it on cassette and listening to it in the car a bit when I was travelling a lot for work. Kudos to Paul for trying different things and going for different styles. But I can't say there's any songs of it that I'd rate highly in Paul's overall repertoire.

Still this thread is inspiring me to check out some of Paul's albums I've neglected. And it's pretty rare he does anything completely worthless. Well ok Pipes of Peace might test that a bit.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 11:22:04 PM »

The outstanding ones for me personally (in chronological order):

Ram
Band On The Run
Tug Of War
Flowers In The Dirt
Flaming Pie
NEW (best thing he's done for years in my opinion)

Second tier/good:

London Town (if you're craving those JohnGeorge-ish harmonies try "With A Little Luck")
McCartney II
Pipes Of Peace (soooo underrated!!!)
Off The Ground
Chaos And Creation In The Back Yard

Most of the rest I can take or leave, the only one I really can't abide is Press To Play.

I take your point about missing the other three fabs on Paul's solo outings nimrod.... but I miss the others on any solo offering, whatever the permutation. It's somehow less pointed on a John or George album though, probably because I've always felt Paul likes to consciously and deliberately return to base now and then and "go all Beatley" more than Lennon or Harrison ever did (Ringo kind of remained in Beatle mode ever since the split) so you get that tantalisingly frustrating "it's nearly them" feel at times with Paul.

nimrod

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 11:33:17 PM »

Can someone help

What song does the track 'Souvenir' sound very similar too ?

its a soulish song with a female vocalist, I heard it on first listen of this song

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 1.367 seconds with 81 queries.