Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I hate "Universe"-- real Beatle fLix r best  (Read 6798 times)

Re: I hate "Universe"-- real Beatle fLix r best
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 05:13:48 PM »

Quote from: 483

No worries. :)

On the subject of cover versions though, I don't really have a problem with them. All good artists get covered, it's their fate for having written a good song. Most of them are sh*te, as we know, but their have been some crackers; Joe Cocker, EWF, Adrian Belew, CSN, Ben Folds. I don't think it's sacrilegious to cover a Beatles song. If I don't like it, then I don't listen to it.

I don't hate covers per se (and you made an EXCELLENT point that "all good artists get covered")--I guess I'm saying I prefer the older covers --artists that were the Beatles contemporaries (like the Stones doing "I Wanna Be Your Man" etc.. and YES, Joe Cocker--whose version of "Little Help From My Friends" made it into a whole new song, it was THAT good) So there are definite exceptions to the rule. Point taken. (but you'll NEVER catch me listening to Ann Murray's version of "You Wont See Me" ever again...I just cant take it !! I mean, she's a nice lady from Nova Scotia and all...but  stick to "Snowbird" and your own compositions, please (take a lesson from Gordon Lightfoot, Ann...no Beatle covers,  k ?  thank u lol)
 ;D)

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 05:15:40 PM »

Ha! I'm also first gen. I actually like Love. It's different. Thought of in the context of a show soundtrack, it's OK. And some of it's damned clever. It's no substitute though. What did you think of Backbeat?

strangely, I LOVED "Backbeat". I loved the Rutles too...but for ENTIRELY different reasons. lol

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 05:24:31 PM »

Quote from: 829

strangely, I LOVED "Backbeat". I loved the Rutles too...but for ENTIRELY different reasons. lol

I liked it too. It came out at a time when I didn't know too much detail about the very early Beatles, and it made me start reading up on them. I'd love to see it again to see how much of it was acurate.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 05:37:57 PM »

I HATED the film the Bees Gees did about SGT. PEPPER way back whenever it was.... see what I mean about some of these things ? LOL (and dont get me wrong, I love the OLD bg's stuff---"I Started A Joke" "Holiday" etc...)

in fact, ...now that I think about it, even "Love" is better than the horrendous Bgs/Pepper thing..(but not by much lmao)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 05:47:39 PM »

I HATED the film the Bees Gees did about SGT. PEPPER way back whenever it was.... see what I mean about some of these things ? LOL (and dont get me wrong, I love the OLD bg's stuff---"I Started A Joke" "Holiday" etc...)

in fact, ...now that I think about it, even "Love" is better than the horrendous Bgs/Pepper thing..(but not by much lmao)

The Pepper movie was one of the worst of any kind, ever. It ruined Peter Frampton's career.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 05:57:55 PM »

...It ruined Peter Frampton's career.

Really? You mean 'I'm In You' didn't?

:D

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 06:09:02 PM »

The Pepper movie was one of the worst of any kind, ever. It ruined Peter Frampton's career.

yeah, I know..and it's pity because I remember in the 70's how ENORMOUS he was w/ his "Frampton Comes Alive" album which everybody and his brother had (me included--although I never did upgrade to cd version...still have the vinyl)

I'm trying to remember back, was Frampton in Humble Pie--I know Steve Marriot the singer was...

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 06:10:09 PM »

Quote from: 843

Really? You mean 'I'm In You' didn't?

:D

:D yeah, not his best number

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 06:50:27 PM »

BlueMeanie,

I thought that visually the film was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. The plot was predictable, yeah but that didn't take away from the movie at all for me. I thought it was neat that the characters expressed their feelings through the songs and it gave us a nice little history lesson about the 60's with footage of Vietnam, the Detroit Riots, the Cavern, the Rooftop concert, Savile Row etc

Most of the covers were very good. A lot of my friends that aren't Beatles fans have seen "Across the Universe" and have told me that it was amazing and that they were impressed so I am hoping that they will start to get into the Beatles. That's one thing I think will happen is this movie will rekindle interest in The Beatles among the younger generation.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 07:02:24 PM »

Thanks for that. I've actually some good reviews of it. Also some bad!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 01:20:33 AM »

This movie was on the other night and I tried to watch it as a novelty. I hadn't seen it in years and I thought it would be good for at least a laugh. WRONG! I could not sit through it. What a horrible movie. They didn't even let them do any acting cuz they were so bad. George Burns had to do all their lines. How pathetic is that? As for LOVE, I thought it was AMAZING! But the difference is is that they use the ACTUAL Beatles. I mean, it's the Beatles singing and talking. God that makes such a difference. I'm seeing Across the Universe this Friday and I'm hoping I can sit through it. It really does look good, but it's so hard for me to sit through people butchering Beatles songs. Do they actually show the rooftop concert and cavern in it? It would be worth it just for that! They should have made a modern ant-war film. I mean, Vietnam is old news and we DO actually have a war going on for God's sake. Although I guess Vietnam goes better with the 60's theme.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 02:11:29 AM »

they show the actor's and they sing in the Cavern and they sing on the rooftop...it's not the actual Beatles but  :P

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2007, 08:31:50 AM »

here's a trailer from the movie..."Why Don't We Do It In The Road?"

nice cover IMO

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=6iVKXDuvELc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtube.com/watch?v=6iVKXDuvELc</a>

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2007, 06:17:59 PM »

"Across The Universe", is a hodge-podge of music videos in my opinion--sung by ppl that aren't the Beatles. Must we like every cover version of songs we associate w/ the original entity that created it ? For example, even Bono, who I respect greatly(for his own U2 material)doesnt neccessarily enhance a Lennon/McCartney composition just because he's a major rock star himself...we are not automatically obliged to adore every interpretation, unless of course you count yourself among the vast legions of mindless sycophants who accepts everything you see as Beatle-related on face value. I'm more discerning than that.

AND as for "Love", I"m well aware that this "stage show" contains ACTUAL BEATLE recordings-- which, admitedly, differentiates it from "Universe", but in this instance I was speaking of PRODUCTION VALUES---NOT MUSIC. How do jugglers and acrobats convey the more cerebral elements of some of the later period Lennon/McCartney/Harrison songs ? --the ONLY song that comes to mind that lends itself to this theme is perhaps "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite"---but does "Nowhere Man" and songs of this ilk??  IMO it's a ridiculous premise. And as to your further contention that it's thoroughly acceptable because it has the approval of the band and Apple....uh..don't you mean the approval of 50% of the Beatles and Apple...? Last time I checked Lennon & Harrison were dead. How do we KNOW John or George would have approved???? Can we be so audacious to assume we know what two deceased artist would feel..? Come now..isn't that just a TAD presumptuous??? Just because Yoko and Olivia gave their assent to these two wretched shows doesnt mean their late respective spouses would've not found fault (at least thematically)with them. ("wretched shows" is my term, of course, and I'm well within my rights to deem them as such if I choose)
For me the last PURE Beatle production was LET IT BE...anything subsequent are merely paltry attempts to bask in a reflected glory not of their own making...THAT honor ONLY belongs to JPGR..collectively.

Well first of all did you watch the movie or are you just jumping to conclusion(without watching it) and saying its absolute crud because the beatles aren't singing the songs?  You sure make out sound like if its not The Beatles then its absolute crude. You're also making it seem that anyone who wants to do a modern day thing with beatles music that they're just doing it to make money. You need to stop being so close minded man. It sure seems like your motto is "If its not The Beatles then it sucks!"

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007, 03:05:25 PM »

Quote from: 403

Well first of all did you watch the movie or are you just jumping to conclusion(without watching it)

first of all, try reading a little closer to a person's full comments before you "jump to the conclusion" that I did not see the works in question.. you're wrong, I did...and what my personal critique about a given film is...well, that remains my own choice. Just as yours is your own. Secondly, don't make automatic assumptions about subjective comments before you gather all the facts. I never said that ALL covers of Beatle compositions were "crud", (if you look a little closer--and obviously you didnt, you'll see that I gave high praise to a few --e.g., Cocker's rendition of "WALHFMF" is a case in point) The conclusion you drew on this point was also unfounded.

I have extolled the merits of many a Beatle/Lennon/McCartney/Harrison cover over the years--Stone's doing "I Wanna Be Your Man", Brazil '66 "Fool On The Hill"...even Elvis covering George's "Something"...et al.

I do not need to continually defend my position if I dont happen to like "Across the Universe" (film)...or for that matter, "Love". I have been following The Beatles (in the flesh) since 1964...I think I'm old enough to make up my own mind about personal likes or dislikes on works regarding this band. Personal opinion may be assailable, but it also has the right to remain steadfast...which, in the present case, it does.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 05:13:20 PM »

I too was VERY sceptical about the "Love" project (just read some of my past comments on this board) but I have seen it and my wife (who incidentally is not a Beatle fan at all!) and I absolutely loved it (no pun intended!).

BlueMeanie

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 10:48:16 PM »

Quote from: 360
I too was VERY sceptical about the "Love" project (just read some of my past comments on this board) but I have seen it and my wife (who incidentally is not a Beatle fan at all!) and I absolutely loved it (no pun intended!).

Still waiting for those pictures Al!!! ;D

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 11:28:29 PM »

Still waiting for those pictures Al!!! ;D

Yeah, what the hell?

ringo rules

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2007, 12:55:50 PM »

I am yet to see the film Across The Universe although it has FINALLY come out in Australia. I am looking forward to seeing it so I can make a judgement on whether it is good or not. The thing about the movie is that it is introducing The Beatles to an entirely new crowd, for example one of my friends who listens to sh*tty music actually knows the title to a beatles song for once and enjoys the songs and reckons it is a great movie. From the reviews that I have read it seems that 'Across The Universe' has been getting some solid and very good reviews so hopefully it will be bloody good. ;)

Once again, great to be back posting on this site

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2007, 02:54:21 PM »

Suddenly this whole controversy is reminding me of The Lord of the Rings movies. You had people who know and loved the book, who took issue with some of Peter Jackson's creative retelling. On the other hand, his movie introduced Tolkien to a lot of people who otherwise would never have picked him up. Of those, a certain subset came to be introduced to the beauty of Middle-earth the way that Tolkien had envisioned it.

So I suppose I ought to see this movie, to see if the analogy is appropriate.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 82 queries.