Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Why did John become a God?  (Read 16140 times)

Whoever

• Getting Better
Re: Why did John become a God?
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2007, 03:48:40 PM »

Yes maybe so. Enough of the Latin, this isn't Vatican City, although I'll have whatever the Pope's having.  :P

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2007, 04:06:56 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01fL1smK0Ug" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01fL1smK0Ug</a>

Bobber

« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2007, 10:27:11 AM »

Still, the myth is very much alive. Found this:

ST JOHN (ACCORDING TO PETER HOWSON)

Artist unveils his greatest portrait ever..of tragic Beatles legend John Lennon as a Biblical prophet. JOHN LENNON once said the Beatles were more famous than Jesus. Now he has been reinvented as a Biblical prophet by artist Peter Howson.

Born-again Christian Howson said Lennon's spirit encouraged him to paint this striking, wildhaired, haunted portrait.
Howson has given the Sunday Mail exclusive first pictures of his latest works - which include what he says is the finest portrait he has ever completed. He did it specially for a new exhibtion of 20 works, inspired by Lennon, which will be displayed at the Northern Lights Festival in Durness, Sutherland.
Former war artist Howson said Lennon "encouraged" him to paint his portrait and even approved the final results. He said: "I could feel John's spirit right next to me - it was kind of weird. He kept egging me on until he was pleased with it. It is probably the finest portrait I've ever done. "At first I didn't want to do it. I see parallels with my life and John's. We both knew how to hit the self-destruct button. But I think he had a spiritual quality and the more I got into drawing him, the more I got to know him - and what a great person he was.
"I have depicted him expressing his spiritual qualities - a bit of a Saint John if you like. He looks like a Biblical prophet because that's how I see him. "But I also found him a lonely, complex character, full of sadness and dignity. "I have tried to capture that by making him a "fool on the hill' in one pastel. Paul McCartney could have written that song about John, because that's how I saw him at times."
Howson turned to Christianity after spending &#163;1million on drugs and booze. He feels no resentment towards Lennon over his infamous claim that the Beatles were "bigger than Jesus". He said: "I can see what he was getting at. He was more against organised religion and in favour of a personal relationship with God. "Christianity is not a religion - it is a relationship with God. John was a spiritual seeker after that. At first I could not get anything down on paper but then I felt him talking to me saying: 'Come on, man, you can do it.' He certainly was pleased with the results - he said that. If John's pleased, so am I. I think he was a guy full of love who needed a cuddle from time to time. Yoko provided that love and I think Durness also played its part in shaping him." Lennon holidayed in Durness as a child and teenager and returned as an adult with Yoko Ono and children Julian and Kyoko in 1969.
The today

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2007, 10:52:21 AM »

^ At least in the minds of a blabbering ex-junkie and the good burghers of Durness keen to give people a reason to visit their no-doubt fabulous town. I only hope the Loch Croispol Bookshop will cope with the crowds.
Mind - if they really wanted to attract attention, portraying John as Mohammed would have been a much better bet.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2007, 10:54:40 AM »

^Excellent!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2007, 01:49:31 PM »

Oh, this is BRILLIANT! I love the whole thing! (And your response, Kevin.)

This is great. I'm sure all those outraged Southerners in the 60's would have changed their tune about John's Jesus statement if they could have seen this moving portrait of John as a Biblical prophet. *listens for change of tune * hears crickets chirp*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2008, 04:20:24 AM »

John wasn't a God, he just gave us something to remember
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 51 queries.