Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End, Her Majesty - Ed Turner and #9  (Read 2701 times)

Kirkwood

• One And One Is Two
    • Ed Turner and Number 9

Hope you enjoy!

The Beatles - Golden Slumbers - Carry That Weight - The End, Ed Turner and Number 9 at Abbey Road
Please check out Ed Turner and Number 9 on Youtube and let us know what you think.  We perform primarily in the southeastern United States for charity events and pride ourselves in performing Beatles songs that they themselves never performed live.  We wo
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Loved this! The singer seemed to have some problems with the highest notes on Golden Slumbers and should have done without the lyrics in front of him. But a great great performance. I loved the part where almost everybody on stage sang along with Carry That Weight.

Kirkwood

• One And One Is Two
    • Ed Turner and Number 9

Glad you liked it Bobber.  I think all the vocalists use their cheat sheets because of the sheer volume of the songs we have prepared to pull from and since we only perform a couple times a year, despite the weekly practices not to mention the stuff they deal with in their other bands.  To date we have performed everything from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road plus a bunch of singles and solo post Beatles works.  This Abbey Road show was actually the first concert series where I didn't use my notes too.  Being a utility player, its a handful keeping track of just what I play on what song but I felt confident enough this time to drop the safety net.  I had to use my notes when we did our Pink Floyd show too.

On a side note, I've always found the musical double standard interesting.  Classical musicians typically play everything off of printed music and nobody ever thinks twice of it.  In fact, most classical musicians I've played with can't improv to save their life.  If it isn't printed, they just can't play it.  Jazz musicians are typically playing out of fake books for a framework but can improv and again, nobody says anything.  You get into rock music and people expect it all from memory.  In my metal band, my singer has great pitch control but can't remember lyrics so if he doesn't have them in front of him to reference, we get interesting improvised lyrics that are on pitch but have nothing to do with the original song, heh.
Please check out Ed Turner and Number 9 on Youtube and let us know what you think.  We perform primarily in the southeastern United States for charity events and pride ourselves in performing Beatles songs that they themselves never performed live.  We wo

Bobber

^Interesting point of view. I went to a classical concert lately and noticed that the cellist (sp?) who was guest starring and played a wonderful solo, didn't use printed music. I guess it's a matter of how well you know the piece and how many times you've played it.

Bobber

By the way: happy birthday. lol

Kirkwood

• One And One Is Two
    • Ed Turner and Number 9

lol, totally forgot about the birthday, thanks.  Yeah, the soloists, typically on a concerto, are usually required to memorize it when they audition for the part.  A guest musician that tours the country will typically play the same pieces year round with each orchestra they guest with.  Of course, the better the musician, the more likely they are to memorize their music.  I used to do a lot of wind ensemble and orchestra playing before college really killed my love of playing brass and drove me to the rock side on bass guitar.

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 47 queries.