Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: If Paul hadn't thought of Sgt Pepper.  (Read 10574 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: If Paul hadn't thought of Sgt Pepper.
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 02:14:21 PM »

Quote from: 483
Many artists were far more experimental than The Beatles in the 60's, even before Revolver. I'd say they should be credited with popularising, rather than influencing.

When quietly trawling through my British Hits Book I came across a UK band (from Rugby) called Pinkertons Assorted Colours who had a top 10 hit with Mirror Mirror in 1965. I was suprised to find a band with such a "psychedelic" name so early, and a Brit one to boot (I always thought those long band names were a US west coast invention.) The band dressed in brightly coloured clothing (what else) and the singles, although fairly standard, is  laden with strings and an electric harpsichord. the song itself is Beatles meet Mamas and Papas. (it's on Youtube - I've forgotten how to link.) the inspiration for the harpsichord apparently came from The Lovin' Spoonful.
Anyways, just to show that no one had a monopoly on experimentation.
don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2008, 02:24:55 PM »

There was a lot of back-and forth, or cross fertilization, I suppose: Dylan influenced the Beatles on songs like "I'm A Loser," and the Beatles (or the success of their sound) provoked him into going electric. That sort of thing.

Pinkerton's Associated Colours - "Mirror, Mirror"

Plfb7gJsR7Q

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2008, 07:55:22 PM »

Never heard that before i really liked it .

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 08:03:19 PM »

Marc Bolan's 1965 single "The Wizard" as psychedelic lyrics and "Midsummer Night's Scene" from 1967 which he wrote and sang when he was in John's Children is brilliant .

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »

Cheers Geoff. Here's a nice little story about the fate of Pinkerton's manager Roger Clavert. Gangsta Rap has nothing on the British Beat scene:

"In June 1966 Radio Caroline embarked on a joint venture with rival pirate Radio City, which broadcast from a Second World War marine fort off the Kent coast, seven miles from Margate. One of the directors of Caroline, Major Oliver Smedley, agreed to pay for a new transmitter to relay Caroline's programmes from the fort, while Calvert, the owner of Radio City, would continue to run the operation but this time on behalf of Radio Caroline.

However, Radio Caroline then withdrew from the deal when it was heard that the government intended to prosecute those occupying the forts, which were still Crown property. Smedley, however, had received no payment from Calvert for the transmitter.

A raid on the Radio City fort was subsequently launched by Smedley, and the station's transmitter was put out of action. Calvert then visited Smedley's home to demand the departure of the raiders and the return of vital transmitter crystals. A violent struggle developed during which Smedley shot Calvert dead. During the subsequent trial, Smedley was acquitted on grounds of self-defence.

After the sensational death of Reg Calvert and lurid tales of real swashbuckling piracy, the British government brought in the Marine Broadcasting Offences Act (Marine & Etc. Broadcasting Offences Act) of 1967 to make offshore broadcasting a part of British criminal law in the United Kingdom. Radio City stopped broadcasting after Mrs Calvert appeared in court charged under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1947, as the station was said to be broadcasting within the 3 mile (5 km) limit. Radio City closed down shortly after Mrs Calvert lost the case
He was buried on 1 July 1966 at St. Peter's, Dunchurch. Among mourners at the funeral were Screaming Lord Sutch and Pinkertons Assorted Colours group members.
"
from wiki (of course)
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2008, 03:26:55 PM »

^Excellent story. I once dj'd (briefly) for a pirate radio station in the 70's, - Radio Sapphire - which broadcast from a house in Hounslow, West London. We even carried advertising, and had a ship's cat (to try to fool the authorities. It didn't!). It was great, 'til we got raided!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2008, 08:59:02 PM »

Quote from: 185

After the sensational death of Reg Calvert and lurid tales of real swashbuckling piracy, the British government brought in the Marine Broadcasting Offences Act (Marine & Etc. Broadcasting Offences Act) of 1967 to make offshore broadcasting a part of British criminal law in the United Kingdom.

Thanks for that: I'd always thought that the British government's legislation against pirate broadcasters was simply a rearguard action to protect the BBC's monopoly (not that it wouldn't have been that as well).  :)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 09:00:56 PM »

^Excellent story. I once dj'd (briefly) for a pirate radio station in the 70's, - Radio Sapphire - which broadcast from a house in Hounslow, West London. We even carried advertising, and had a ship's cat (to try to fool the authorities. It didn't!). It was great, 'til we got raided!

Great story: what sort of thing were you playing?

dennylemeiux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2008, 01:42:13 AM »

With all due respect (granted, I'm on my third glass of wine), I find a lot of the previous comments to be confusing, at best.  Let me apologize, in advance, (for not yet) fully understanding the influence of Syd Barrett on Pink Floyd (I have listened to his Pink Floyd work, and it was very good; my understanding is that he was totally mental, especially after the excessive acid experimentation).  My first real "Floyd" experience as a youngster was "Dark Side".

I was about two week shy of my seventh birthday when "Sergeant Pepper's" had its U.S. release, so I will never be in a position to accurately judge its historical significance.  Consequently, I can only judge the Beatles' position in the universe of music by my instincts and my 40+ year reflection on same.

Are Lennon/McCartney the greatest pop music writers of the 20th century?  Should they be mentioned in the same breath with Mozart and Chopin?  Were the Beatles the greatest rock & roll band from 1954 to 2008?

I don't know.

I do know, however, that their music (so far) has been, for me,  as timeless as anything I've ever heard in popular music (by comparison, the next best example of "timelessness" is the Who's "Who's Next") and the Beatles' music has provided me with endless joy.

Frankly, I don't really care if they are recognized a thousand years from now as geniuses.  To me, they are.  And I will always be indebted to them for that.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2008, 09:51:32 AM »

Quote from: 1161

Great story: what sort of thing were you playing?

Heavy stuff, and prog: Yes, Genesis, Crimson, Budgie, Zep etc. I found that during a three hour show the more prog I played, the more time I got to sleep!!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2008, 12:31:13 PM »

I found that during a three hour show the more prog I played, the more time I got to sleep!!

;D

I've always preferred fast ones myself. Zeppelin would have picked things up considerably, though.  :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2008, 02:24:19 PM »

Just been reading about The Ventures (them that did Wipeout)  and was astonished by their list of firsts:
1- Pioneers of concept albums, starting with "The Colourful Ventures" in 1961. Their '64 album "The Ventures in Space" includes album tracks like "Exploration in Terror" and "Penetration."
2 - First use of fuzz distortion pedal (  "2000 pound Bee" 1962 )
3. "among the first" to use a 12 string
4. 1964's Ventures in Space pioneered special effects on a rock record.
5. First use of reverse tracking (In space)
6. First use of flanging (whatever the f*ck that is.)
7. first rock act to release albums without singles.

While most of their singles sound to me very Shadow like and they look really boring on stage, checkout Wipeout (live) on Youtube, especially the awsome drummer, and the guitar work is pretty "out there" for something that looks like it was filmed pre Beatles. (sorry, like building pyramids and starting fire with flint I seem to have lost the ability to link.)
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2008, 02:45:22 PM »

This the one?

T8__EwAT8VM

BlueMeanie

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2008, 02:47:57 PM »

Quote from: 185
(sorry, like building pyramids and starting fire with flint I seem to have lost the ability to link.)

Copy everything from the URL after the '=' sign. That is what's in bold below:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T8__EwAT8VM

Click the YouTube button above the message box, and insert the code.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 67 queries.