Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 151771 times)

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #680 on: April 26, 2012, 12:23:51 PM »

I've been really pleased with their new song! It's awesome. It has a "Warmth of the Sun" feel in the verses.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #681 on: April 26, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »

Do It Again
Catch a Wave
Don’t Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl – with a huge ovation for Brian’s lead vocal
Mike asks for requests
The Little Girl I Once Knew
Wendy – Dave Lead VocalThen I Kissed Her
This Whole World
Mike Intro’s Brian to a standing ovation
Why Do Fools Fall In Love – incredible harmonies
When I Grow Up
You're So Good To Me – Great Brian Lead
Cottonfields –Al rocked it out
Mike referenced the Dodgers opening day appearance – says that when they started…they were the Brooklyn Dodgers ha ha ha
Be True To Your school
Disney Girls – Song of the night!!! Incredible harmonies
Please Let Me Wonder – Brian Lead..Bruce says” I Love You”
Don’t Worry Baby – Jeff Foskett lead vocal
Little Honda – some GREAT Dave surf guitar licks
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Band takes a Break – 20 minutes

Sloop John B
Wouldn’t It Be Nice
Forever – Dennis video vocal and band backs him up with Harmonies and music – really nice video trib with pix
Sail On Sailor – Great Brian vocal
Heroes and Villains – traditional version but with the SMiLE acapella ending
In My Room
All This Is That – Darian takes Carls part
God Only Knows – Same video trib as Dennis with Carls lead vocal and the band backs it up – Mike very emotional and says “Carl is with us tonight”
That’s Why God Made The Radio – Crowd LOVED it…very nice tune
California Dreaming
California Girls
Dance, Dance, Dance
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Do Ya Wanna Dance – Dave on lead vocal
Barbara Ann
Surfin’ USA

ENCORE:
Kokomo
Good Vibrations
Fun Fun Fun

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #682 on: April 28, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »

Tonight I go to the Atlanta concert!  Before I go anything I should specifically look out for? I'd like to report back to anyone interested here and take questions and leave my comments and impressions. I'm sure the European folks are dying for the summer :P 

Anyways have a good weekend. I hope it's a great show. So far is seems like it's been very well received! 

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #683 on: April 29, 2012, 12:29:10 AM »

Was it the same set list?

Did they actually take requests from the audience?

What song didn't they play that you wanted to hear?

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #684 on: April 29, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »

They didn't play "Dance Dance Dance".  But more or less the same set list.  I wish they had played "California Saga" honestly. Al was the highlight of the show honestly. When he was singing "Rhonda" I closed my eyes and it sounded just like the recorded version and the tv show appearance that you can find on youtube. His voice has held up so well and sounds like he's in 1972 still or something.  Also Jeff was great singing the falsetto parts. Didn't sound cheesy at all and complemented the whole blend and his "Don't Worry Baby" was great.  Also Brian sounded really good. Got out of key a bit but hey, no autotune or anything and I didn't mind at all. He sounded great on Sail on and Sloop John B.

Overall a great show. Very emotional especially when they were honoring Dennis and Carl. During I think Carl's, Brian looked over at the screen at Carl's video and pictures.  I cried a lot especially during those parts. Also, Bruce's voice was a bit rasp but his "Disney Girls" was really touching as usual and even though it was a bit of a "struggle" it turned out good and was probably one of the best arranged for the concert.

Brian was a bit stiff as usual but towards the end he loosened up and was snapping his fingers and was "getting into it" and even played bass. Even though I think he was just pretending but whatever. It was a great night and time and will always remember it.   

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #685 on: May 10, 2012, 05:59:03 PM »

Good.
I hope to finally get to see Al singing Help Me Rhonda.
But they have to come to Europe for that.
I also like California Saga and Disney Girls.
Looks like we have similar tastes!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #686 on: June 01, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »

I got the new album today. My song by song impressions after the first three listens:

Think About the Days - 'Our Prayer Part II'. Absolutely stunning.
That's Why God Made the Radio - Great vocals, excellent chorus, nice 50s touch on the verses. Like it a lot.
Isn't It Time - A bit lightweight but good fun and catchy enough. I like the sparse backing track with the ukelele and handclaps. Almost has a 'Friends' vibe.
Spring Vacation - Mike rarely sounded this cool. Very sunny and energetic.
The Private Life of Bill & Sue - Somewhat insignificant. Gotta love a typically wacky Brian song like this, though.
Shelter - Not one of the most significant songs either. Still OK.
Daybreak over the Ocean - Meh. Wasn't one re-writing of 'My Bonnie' enough for the Beach Boys catalogue?
Beaches in Mind - Another insignificant song. Probably the weakest track on the album.
Strange World - Not sure what to think of it yet. So far I'm not really impressed, but this might be a grower.
From There to Back Again - Mind-blowing. I didn't expect, or even hope for, something this good. Al sounds as good as ever, the harmonies recapture a bit of that old Beach Boys magic, there are echoes of 'Pet Sounds' all over the arrangement while the complexity and diversity of the composition are a bit 'Smile'-ish... Maybe I'm overreacting, but this could be Beach Boys all time top 25 (or 20 even) material.
Pacific Coast Highway - Very, very touching. Almost as good as the previous one.
Summer's Gone - Magical. And let's call this 'Caroline, No Part II'. If this actually is the final Beach Boys album, than this would be the most suitable closing track possible, and a worthy farewell song.

For my rating, I'd like to cut this album into three pieces: 8,5/10 for the first four songs, 6,5/10 for the next five and 10/10 for the last three.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #687 on: June 02, 2012, 08:16:28 AM »

Got it too. Good assessment.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #688 on: June 02, 2012, 12:55:08 PM »

Nice review, Joost. Can't wait to hear the album, especially the last songs, which you praised. I don't know yet for sure when it'll be available in my country, but I'm trying to listen to every album they've done until then. That way I can get a more general view (I believe). I listened to 'Keepin' The Summer Alive' in the last few days and I thought it was terrible. The most lifeless album I've ever heard. At least '15 Big Ones' and 'S/T 85', despite the horrible production on both, had some good material. Next on the list are 'Still Cruisin'' and 'Summer In Paradise'.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #689 on: June 02, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »

Although it's certainly one of their lesser albums, I don't dislike 'Keeping the Summer Alive' as much as most people do. 'Some of Your Love', 'Goin' On' and 'Endless Harmony' are pretty catchy and 'Livin' with a Heartache' and 'Santa Ana Winds' are nice and mellow. 'The Beach Boys (1985)' on the other hand... That's an album that I really don't like. The only two good songs are ripoffs of other songs ('Getcha Back' on Bruce Springsteen's 'Hungry Heart', 'California Calling' of 'Surfin' USA') and the production is absolutely horrible. But still, 'Summer in Paradise' is much, much worse. It's pure garbage. Apart from the nice cover art, absolutely everything about that album is terrible.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #690 on: June 03, 2012, 09:41:42 AM »

To each his own, but in my opinion, 'The Beach Boys (1985)' is better and more inspired than 'Keepin' The Summer Alive'. I've listened to them again today and I stick with my opinion.

The title track's bridge is pretty ok, but other than that I think it's terrible. Stupid computerised backing vocals and what about the ending, when Carl literally repeats the chorus for more than one minute?! 'Oh Darlin'' is about the same to me : ruined by the backing vocals during the chorus. I also dislike the instrumental. 'Some of Your Love' is decent enough, but I wish they would have left out the sax. Especially in the intro..it's just so random. And just like the title track, it's way too repetitive. 'Livin' With a Heartache' has a good Carl lead, but to me, it sounds lifeless, boring and monotonous. Maybe I'm not a fan of the genre. At least 'Full Sail' had some emotion attached to it, even though not very inspired musically. It had a calm and warm feeling, while 'Living With a Heartache' seems to be going nowhere and leaves me completely cold. But it's the best of the Carl-lead songs. 'School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes the Bell)'. No comment. Just why? 'Goin' On' is a good song, but I've never thought of it as something special. It's the best song on the album, but not something exceptional. 'Sunshine' is very weird. I don't even know what to think of it. The backing vocals are extremely uninspired and Mike's voice sounds weird. 'When Girls Get Together' is another song I really dislike. Same as 'Living With A Heartache', it's lifeless, boring and monotonous. 'Santa Ana Winds' is decent enough. 'Endless Harmony', while not having the best lyrics, has a great ending and possibly one of the best moments on the album.

As I've said in the previous post, I think, though eclipsed by the terrible production, 'The Beach Boys (1985)' has greater material. There are some painful moments, like the never-ending 'Passing Friend' or that lead guitar in 'Maybe I Don't Know' which is totally unfit for a Beach Boys song (like many other things on the album, for that matter). But there are some songs there I really enjoy. IMO, both 'It's Gettin' Late' and 'Where I Belong' are great Carl compositions, way better than anything he wrote on 'Keepin' The Summer Alive'. 'Where I Belong' has a great atmosphere and the harmonies on the chorus are just heavenly. 'Getcha Back' is another song I like, though I admit it's not that good of a song. I didn't know it was a ripoff of a Bruce Springsteen song. 'She Believes In Love Again' is , in my opinion, better than 'Endless Harmony' and a guilty pleasure of mine. I even enjoy 'Male Ego' and 'It's Just a Matter Of Time'  though I hate Brian's lead on the former and the stupid harmonica on the second. The remainder is pretty weak.

But all in all, I think both albums are weak and uninspired compared to any of their 70's efforts and once you become a Beach Boys fan and you learn more about the band's history, it becomes easier to understand why some of their albums suck. I mean, Brian and Dennis were both a wreck during the making of the former and album, and for the latter, Dennis was no longer alive and Brian was manipulated by Landy. But of course, that's no excuse. Carl, Mike, Bruce and Al could've definitely come up with something better.

But still, 'Summer in Paradise' is much, much worse. It's pure garbage. Apart from the nice cover art, absolutely everything about that album is terrible.

Can't wait to hear it. ha2ha
I've watched the 'Summer Of Love' video some while ago and I thought it was hillarious. What the hell was Mike thinking?

P.S. Sorry for the long post. I'm bored at home...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:44:48 AM by The 5th Beatle »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #691 on: June 04, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »

But all in all, I think both albums are weak and uninspired compared to any of their 70's efforts and once you become a Beach Boys fan and you learn more about the band's history, it becomes easier to understand why some of their albums suck.

I think that the bad albums only contribute to how fascinating The Beach Boys story really is. This is a band that in just 18 years time went from giving The Beatles a run for their money, to being so lost for ideas that they gratefully accepted a Culture Club leftover to record. That's really a kind of tragedy that you only find in movies.

And the good thing about those albums is that you appreciate the good things much more. A beautiful little harmony, a really cool riff or a catchy hook that you hardly would've noticed on any of the early albums sounds like a little hidden treasure on those crappy 80s and 90s albums.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #692 on: June 04, 2012, 02:11:23 PM »

I think that the bad albums only contribute to how fascinating The Beach Boys story really is. This is a band that in just 18 years time went from giving The Beatles a run for their money, to being so lost for ideas that they gratefully accepted a Culture Club leftover to record. That's really a kind of tragedy that you only find in movies.

And the good thing about those albums is that you appreciate the good things much more. A beautiful little harmony, a really cool riff or a catchy hook that you hardly would've noticed on any of the early albums sounds like a little hidden treasure on those crappy 80s and 90s albums.

Great post, I agree with everything. What's your theory on why Carl, at some point, gave up on the band's artistic integrity and just went on with what Mike wanted (tours with playlists full of oldies and albums such as the ones we've talked about before) ?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:12:56 PM by The 5th Beatle »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #693 on: June 05, 2012, 06:49:04 AM »

What's your theory on why Carl, at some point, gave up on the band's artistic integrity and just went on with what Mike wanted (tours with playlists full of oldies and albums such as the ones we've talked about before) ?

I think because Mike was simply proven right, from a commercial point of view. Prior to the release of the 'Endless Summer' compilation, the 70s were a very unsuccessful decade for The Beach Boys. Their best-selling studio album went to #29 and their best-selling single to #64. Then 'Endless Summer' came out, a compilation of pre-'Pet Sounds' songs compiled by Mike, which went to #1 and stayed on the charts for 155 weeks. My guess is that this was when the band realized, "Well, the people don't want us to keep evolving, they just want us to play the old surf and car songs".

*edit*
That, and probably because in the second half of the 70s Carl was often simply outvoted. It used to be the Wilsons (progressive/artistic) vs. Love & Jardine (conservative/commercial), but with Dennis rarely even bothering to show up and Brian being too scared of confrontations to have his brother's back, Carl was often on his own.

BTW, unhappy with the way things were going, Carl actually left the group from February 1981 until April 1982.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:33:59 AM by Joost »

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #694 on: June 06, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »

I think because Mike was simply proven right, from a commercial point of view. Prior to the release of the 'Endless Summer' compilation, the 70s were a very unsuccessful decade for The Beach Boys. Their best-selling studio album went to #29 and their best-selling single to #64. Then 'Endless Summer' came out, a compilation of pre-'Pet Sounds' songs compiled by Mike, which went to #1 and stayed on the charts for 155 weeks. My guess is that this was when the band realized, "Well, the people don't want us to keep evolving, they just want us to play the old surf and car songs".

*edit*
That, and probably because in the second half of the 70s Carl was often simply outvoted. It used to be the Wilsons (progressive/artistic) vs. Love & Jardine (conservative/commercial), but with Dennis rarely even bothering to show up and Brian being too scared of confrontations to have his brother's back, Carl was often on his own.

BTW, unhappy with the way things were going, Carl actually left the group from February 1981 until April 1982.

Poor Carl, I always feel sorry for him. He was always a nice and decent guy who tried to look out for both his brothers, and the band whenever he could. And it's all news to me, the fact that he quit the band.

There is another thing that bothers me. I've made my own album with the tracks that were supposed to be on the 'Adult/Child' album and I've been playing it more than a lot lately. People complained about 'Love You' being too childish, but with that album, I think Brian found the perfect balance between funny, quirky (Hey Little Tomboy, Lines, It's Trying To Say) and beautiful, sincere and tremendous ballads (It's Over Now, Deep Purple, My Diane, Still I Dream Of It). 'Love You' had some great ballads, too, but nowhere near as emotional, powerful, touching and personal. I think that was the closest Brian ever came to sharing his true feelings and insecurities, even though they are  presented as "love songs". In my opinion, the band made a huge mistake by not releasing it. Far, far superior than 'M.I.U'. I don't know the exact story behind who was against it, I think Mike hated it and was quoted as asking Brian "What is this sh*t?" (Correct me if I'm wrong). I've also read that the band presented the album to Capitol but they didn't like it. However, it's a big shame. Brian proved with 'Love You', followed by the 'Adult Child' material, at least to me, that he really was back.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:42:18 AM by The 5th Beatle »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #695 on: June 13, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »

The new album is going to debut on #3 on the Billboard album list, making this the 3rd highest charting Beach Boys studio album in the USA ever, and their highest charting studio album since 1965. Reviews are generally positive, mostly 3 or 4 star ratings on a scale of 1 to 5.

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #696 on: June 23, 2012, 04:07:09 PM »

A lot of Beach Boys fan don't like him, but I don't think he's as much of a bad guy as some people like to think. People dislike him for his lame sense of humor, because he's usually far from humble in interviews and because he often gave Brian and Dennis a hard time. But then again, I'm sure Brian and Dennis were often impossible to deal with. Even Carl got fed up with them in the mid/late 70s.

Hey, Joost. I wouldn't dare challenge you as a BB expert, although my knowledge is pretty extensive. We should compare notes sometime.

When I was 17, I used my BS skills to get back stage and "interview" Mike, supposedly for my school newspaper. He gave me an hour of his time. He was very gracious and forthcoming, except for sidestepping any discussion about Brian (the world did not yet know how bad off Brian was at that point). I found him to be very intellectual and fan-friendly.

Al Jardine, on the other hand, was rude and crude IMHO. Carl made me laugh. The "Box Tops" were the opening act, and Carl was going around putting handwritten signs on the dressing room doors. On the Box Top's door, he posted a sign that said "Cereal Heads" and on the BB's door, his sign read "Surfin' Safaris". He seemed to be doing it for his own amusement. I did not see Bruce or Dennis.

By pure happenstance, I've met some people associated with the BB's (roadies, engineers, sidemen), and every single one said that once Brian was more or less out of the picture, Carl became the leader, but often butted heads with Mike.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #697 on: June 23, 2012, 04:11:47 PM »

Hey, Joost. I wouldn't dare challenge you as a BB expert, although my knowledge is pretty extensive. We should compare notes sometime.

When I was 17, I used my BS skills to get back stage and "interview" Mike, supposedly for my school newspaper. He gave me an hour of his time. He was very gracious and forthcoming, except for sidestepping any discussion about Brian (the world did not yet know how bad off Brian was at that point). I found him to be very intellectual and fan-friendly.

Al Jardine, on the other hand, was rude and crude IMHO. Carl made me laugh. The "Box Tops" were the opening act, and Carl was going around putting handwritten signs on the dressing room doors. On the Box Top's door, he posted a sign that said "Cereal Heads" and on the BB's door, his sign read "Surfin' Safaris". He seemed to be doing it for his own amusement. I did not see Bruce or Dennis.

By pure happenstance, I've met some people associated with the BB's (roadies, engineers, sidemen), and every single one said that once Brian was more or less out of the picture, Carl became the leader, but often butted heads with Mike.

Great story. What year was it?

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #698 on: June 24, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »

Great story. What year was it?

1969 was the year. That was my 4th BB concert. Also saw them on their Maharishi tour in '68, and later saw them with Chicago (a fantastic show which I've always hoped had been recorded). Carl singing "Saturday In The Park" was a treat. And the finale, with both bands doing "Fun, Fun, Fun", was awesome.

I have not seen the BB's on their reunion tour. Instead, I saw Brian on his most recent tour, which for me was like paying homage to the Master. At BW's concert, I bought a T-shirt. On two occasions while I was wearing it, I met Steve Desper, their engineer in the post-Pet Sounds era, and also met one of their 1970's roadies (whose name escapes me). Seems like a lot of BB associates have moved down here to Florida.

Another BB associate, who some of you may be more familiar with is "Dr. Chuck". He used to do the original "Breakfast With The Beatles" radio show, and also lives down here. He occasionally sits in with the BB's and has an extensive Beatles collection (including a few "Butcher Covers". So, occasionally I pick up little tidbits of BB and Beatle information from him and Steve.

http://www.teddwebb.com/showcase/where_are_they_now/dr_chuck_stevens.html

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #699 on: June 24, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »

I think because Mike was simply proven right, from a commercial point of view.

The turning point in the Beach Boys career was probably their "no-show" at Monterey Pop in 1967. Had Brian been able to complete "Smile" back in the day, the Beach Boys might have won acceptance by the so-called "hipsters" (the usual San Fransisco crowd) who attended Monterey. This was the same festival that introduced the world to Hendrix, Joplin, The Who (who were still a second tier band at that point), and Otis Redding (his first appearance before a largely white audience).

Unfortunately, the Beach Boys failure to appear (even though Brian was one of the "organizers") led to them being regarded as passe'; nothing but a surfing band.

I've always believed that Mike's big problem was with Brian working with other collaborators (Tony Asher, Van Dyke Parks), thus cutting him out of the lucrative songwriter royalties.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42

Page created in 1.197 seconds with 74 queries.