Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Song Survivor-Song Exclusions  (Read 4097 times)

BlueMeanie

Song Survivor-Song Exclusions
« on: September 19, 2007, 03:59:47 PM »

Do you think any of these songs should be excluded from the vote?

The point has been made that Revolution 9 is not a song at all. Her Majesty was there by accident, and Dig it and Maggie Mae are pieces of incidental jamming the like of which you wouldn't find on a Beatles album unless it was a soundtrack.

What do you think? You can vote for as many as you like, or none at all.

This will not necessarily mean that any of them are excluded. I'll judge it on your response.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

Re: Song Survivor-Song Exclusions
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:44:52 AM »

Some comments would be helpful. For instance, one of you would seem to want Revolution 9 left in, whilst leaving out the other 3!

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:10:42 AM »

I think all should be included. Revolution #9 may be over the top musicallywise, but I think certainly John Lennon looked at it as music ('of the future', I can hear him say). Her Majesty was certainly no mistake, but put there deliberately. Dig It and Maggie Mae are of course small parts of hours and hours jamming and are quite randomly put on Let It Be. It could have been anything. But it's there and it's music. Problem is that in fact we are discussing what a song is.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 11:16:27 AM »

I should probably leave them in. The question was raised though, and I had already thought about it, so I though a poll might give me some indication of what people thought. Having seen the results of the worst song on beatleboards, Rev 9 will almost certainly win the wooden spoon overall. I had also thought of the German songs as well, but at least one of our members is a native German speaker, and you (and possibly Joost) speak German.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 12:19:35 PM »

Quote from: 63
Her Majesty was certainly no mistake, but put there deliberately.

Her Majesty was taken out of the medley, and Paul told them to throw it out. But the tape op tagged it on the end of the tape and it was accidentally left on when they made the first accetate. Hence the big gap. I thought you would have known that? ;)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:01:59 PM »

I guess us Outies will have to find another way.
Myself, even though I find it unlistenable,  will not vote for REV 9 as the worst. It is a brave piece of avante garde for a commercial release, and for that deserves some respect.
I shall vote for some rubbish like "Savoy Truffle", for it has nothing to recommend it other than providing us with the knowledge that George had access to a french cookbook.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 01:25:34 PM »

Quote from: 483

Her Majesty was taken out of the medley, and Paul told them to throw it out. But the tape op tagged it on the end of the tape and it was accidentally left on when they made the first accetate. Hence the big gap. I thought you would have known that? ;)

Sure. That's a well known fact. But they could have left it off the album if they really wanted to. They didn't.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 01:47:32 PM »

i voted to leave them out, but in or out i dont see them being contenders for the top 3 places on any of the albums.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 01:54:22 PM »

Quote from: 758
i voted to leave them out, but in or out i dont see them being contenders for the top 3 places on any of the albums.

No. The issue is them monopolising the "worst" vote.
don't follow leaders

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 06:49:45 PM »

Of course 'Revolution #9' is no 'song' in the conventional sense of it, but I recall it creating quite a bit of buzz at the time of the album's release, and was even played on FM radio for awhile. People were talking about 'BITUSSR', 'WMGGW,' and 'R9'. That's my recollection. To leave it off would not seem right to me.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

BlueMeanie

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 03:35:15 PM »

Quote from: 185
I guess us Outies will have to find another way.
Myself, even though I find it unlistenable,  will not vote for REV 9 as the worst. It is a brave piece of avante garde for a commercial release, and for that deserves some respect.
I shall vote for some rubbish like "Savoy Truffle", for it has nothing to recommend it other than providing us with the knowledge that George had access to a french cookbook.

I'll probably not vote for any off them. And Savoy Truffle is definitely top of my list on The White Album.

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 01:43:43 AM »

I would not vote Revolution 9 as the worst either. I voted Dig It, I can't imagine it being anything.. but who knows somebody might think it is top 3 material.
"Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive"

BlueMeanie

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 08:09:45 AM »

OK. I get the impression that a few of you haven't understood the question. This is not a poll to find out which of those songs is the worst.

A point was raised on another thread that there are a few 'non songs' coming up, that were likely to dominate the 'worst' vote. would you like to see any of them left out? Or all of them left out. Or all of them left in.

This is a multiple choice poll. You can select as many as you want to.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 01:57:21 PM »

I don't think any of the songs should be excluded! :-/
That's why if you don't like a particuliar song, you can put
it as the worst.!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Badfinger_Boogie

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 07:53:25 AM »

I voted "none of the above". As unpopular as they are, we need to give all the songs in the Song Survivor threads a fair chance. To me, excluding the above songs would be like excluding "Mr. Moonlight" simply because everyone knows it's the least-liked song on Beatles For Sale.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 08:05:10 AM »

Quote from: 772
I voted "none of the above". As unpopular as they are, we need to give all the songs in the Song Survivor threads a fair chance. To me, excluding the above songs would be like excluding "Mr. Moonlight" simply because everyone knows it's the least-liked song on Beatles For Sale.

You're right. I think I'll leave it up to the individual to decide weather something like Rev 9 is a song, or not. They're all included.

Badfinger_Boogie

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 08:39:53 AM »

Quote from: 483
You're right. I think I'll leave it up to the individual to decide weather something like Rev 9 is a song, or not. They're all included.
Yay! ;D

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 03:21:17 PM »

Yea, a track is a track. What's the use in exclusion? Good call.

;)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

BlueMeanie

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 05:43:41 AM »

Quote from: 843
Yea, a track is a track. What's the use in exclusion? Good call.

;)

A track is a track, but not necessarily a song!

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 12:56:09 PM »

That's a good point. Heh - as a kid I used to think of 'Rev #9' as one. Weird kid.

:P

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 79 queries.