Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Whats your Sgt Pepper story ?  (Read 4767 times)

nimrod

Whats your Sgt Pepper story ?
« on: May 02, 2011, 11:13:32 PM »

I was 14 when it came out and typical of goings on in my family, my big brother bought it the day it was released, I think he'd ordered it.....what can I say, completely gobsmacked with it, LP's normally got released on Friday in the UK and Im sure it was Friday and we had all weekend to look, listen and inwardly digest  :)

Remember it had been a long time since the last album and we all knew they had been working on this for months, but when it came it was better than any of us had expected, a wonderful surreal experience....absolutely a brilliant and magical time, even the cover with all its colours seemed magical, everything seemed to have been black & white forever, suddenly it was summer and this beautiful gift arrived..........in some ways it was THE most influential thing Ive ever experienced........pure magic, you indeed had to be around at the time to realize why people say its their greatest album, the effect it had was catatonic.

Anyway Monday eventually came and big bro went to work, I got home from school at 3:30 after bragging to a few schoolmates that I had bought it  ;D, they a couple of them actually followed me home so I ended up playing the album for them while they drooled at the cover.......Great days indeed.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Whats your Sgt Pepper story ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:44:59 AM »

I bought the MONO Sgt Pepper in 1967.  It was a dollar cheaper than the STEREO version.  I bought the CD when it was released in June 1987.  It was in stereo, however, and I enjoyed my old mono LP more and played it exclusively.

I was happy the remastered mono Sgt Pepper was released and I purchased the box set.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 01:45:50 AM »

Now that you have the mono set, what do you think of the Sgt Pepper album, nimrod?

nimrod

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 02:25:14 AM »

Now that you have the mono set, what do you think of the Sgt Pepper album, nimrod?

dont forget in England we bought the mono album HG so I grew up with that and the remastered sounds fantastic and REAL, those stereo versions are inferior.

I just got my new sennhieser HD280 headphones today and cant wait to listen to the mono remasters

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:52:20 AM »

...those stereo versions are inferior.

I agree.  I have both the stereo and mono remastered box sets.  I put the stereo set away and I only listen to the mono set.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 01:30:30 PM »

those stereo versions are inferior.

I disagree

I just got my new sennhieser HD280 headphones today and cant wait to listen to the mono remasters

If its not in stereo, whats the point?  ha2ha

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 03:26:41 PM »

i am a real mono virgin.i haven't heard any beatles albums in mono. :-[
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:13:53 PM »

A lot of people perfer mono, but i'm not sure why. I truly think some people are fooled into liking mono only because George Martin said thats how they should be listened to, and I think thats only due to nostalgia reasons. I have the mono versions, but I cant find any advantage to them at all. Theres subtle differences, but I think the studio versions positives outweigh the negatives. Again though, thats just me.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 07:28:33 PM »

i am a real mono virgin.i haven't heard any beatles albums in mono. :-[

And the 1987 CDs of the first four albums?
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 07:34:56 PM »

A lot of people perfer mono, but i'm not sure why. I truly think some people are fooled into liking mono only because George Martin said thats how they should be listened to, and I think thats only due to nostalgia reasons. I have the mono versions, but I cant find any advantage to them at all. Theres subtle differences, but I think the studio versions positives outweigh the negatives. Again though, thats just me.

I always prefer stereo, unless the masters are twin track. I believe that when people have heard the stereo versions so many times and find something different and new in the mono versions, then that makes them believe that mono is better. Also I don't see why some people prefer the Anthology version of a tune over the original one, I guess it's for the same reason.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 11:22:45 PM »

I should rename this thread.....'mono or stereo'    ha2ha

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »

I should rename this thread.....'mono or stereo'    ha2ha
you probably should, if only to keep the kids happy. ha2ha  ha2ha

anyway mono stereo it's all the same to me, i really don't buy that stereo has more depth bit, but i suppose when it comes to sound effects it could make a difference. i just understand that some songs were recorded at different speeds and that could also make a difference.
 ;yes
day tripper yeah

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 04:55:09 PM »

Happy anniversary to Sgt. Pepper today on June 1. It was 44 years ago today, Sgt Pepper taught the band to play.

And... 24 years ago we got it on CD for the first time.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 06:02:32 PM »

And the 1987 CDs of the first four albums?
i wasn't even aware that those were mono.the thing is,i have heard a few 'mono mixes' of the beatles tunes and to me the differences do stick out a lot.instruments clearer,a louder vocal here and there,i have been toying with getting a mono box set.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

nimrod

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 10:47:01 PM »

i wasn't even aware that those were mono.the thing is,i have heard a few 'mono mixes' of the beatles tunes and to me the differences do stick out a lot.instruments clearer,a louder vocal here and there,i have been toying with getting a mono box set.

you wont regrret it, cheap on amazon  :)

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »

Happy anniversary to Sgt. Pepper today on June 1. It was 44 years ago today, Sgt Pepper taught the band to play.

And... 24 years ago we got it on CD for the first time.

And 24 years 1st

http://www.beatlesondvd.com/19801989/1987_____gh.htm

and 19 Years and

the 2nd  Documentary on TV

http://www.beatlesondvd.com/19901999/19920614_bea.htm

Page created in 1.229 seconds with 76 queries.