Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anyone seen this photo before?  (Read 8972 times)

NoNameR

• A Beginning
Anyone seen this photo before?
« on: October 16, 2008, 07:21:14 PM »

I thought I'd seen every photo available of the early, early Beatles. But this took me by surprise.

Anyone got any dates for it, or know who the fourth person is...?

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
Re: Anyone seen this photo before?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »

I've never seen that berofe. That's one nifty pic. Thanks for sharing!
*stares at picture*

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 10:36:16 PM »

Comparing it to the other photo of what is presumably a similar year, I would say that whilst Lennon looks older in the b/w photo, McCartney and Harrison definitely look younger. Which places it before the colour photo.

Any thoughts?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:47:32 PM »

We've had this one before. My guess is either it's Len Garry or just some bloke who happened to be standing there at the time. there's not much, time wise, to separate the two photo's.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:49:04 PM »

I've seen the second photo, but not the first one.  Good one there...........

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 11:03:49 PM »

Bluemeanie: It was new to me, anyway! Not entirely convinced it's Len. Didn't George's arrival coincide with the departure of Len (illness) and then Eric (sacked)? Seems odd that Colin wouldn't be in it if it's of that era.

The colour photo is supposed to be from around 1959 or something, isn't it? Certainly long after the Rod/Len/Eric/Colin Quarrymen era, anyway. As has been noted, the two photos are very similar with regards to the age, so I'd presume that this is Johnny and his Moondogs rather than the Quarrymen.

If the b/w photo has been treated to remove its background (as appears to be done), then it seems odd that the bloke's not been blanked out, too.

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 07:22:51 AM »

Yes, we have discussed the first picture before. I'll try to dig it up. The second pic was taken at a wedding at Paul's Auntie Jin's house, most probably Jin's son Ian got married. The guy on the right is one of the guests and has nothing to do with the band itself. According to Chazz Avery's site, the guy's name is Dennis. The picture was taken by Paul's brother Mike and dates from mid 1958.

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:31:36 AM »

From Chazz's site on the first picture:

The Quarry Men
Sometime 1958-1959
location unknown
presumably Liverpool
Photographer: unknown (Mike McCartney?)

This photo first surfaced in late 2006 on Paul McCartney's concert DVD The Space Within Us. It can be presumed the photo is from Paul's personal archive with a good possibility that it was taken by his brother Mike. However, the DVD provided no definitive date or info. Thus, for researchers, the precise dating of this photo is very vague.

I asked Beatles historian Mark Lewisohn what he thought. He replied that he was, in fact, researching the same thing. The only thing he had were the conclusions I had already come to...

George joined in Feb. 1958 and, according to Andy Babiuk (Beatles Gear), George had the President before joining The Quarry Men. John purchased a Hofner Club 40 in August 1959. The photo HAS to date between that time.

At some point 1958-59, John no longer had his Galloton and performed for some time without a guitar. In the photo from 20 December 1958 at George's brother's wedding, John is seen without his Galloton. However, I almost have to think that doesn't indicate that he didn't have it. I can't see John going from Dec 1958 to August 1959 without some sort of guitar. I have found no specific dates but I would suspect he had the guitar well into 1959.

In Hunter Davies' The Beatles Authorized Biography (page 63), in the chapter "From Quarrymen To Moondogs", Davies writes, "For their public performances, they were usually all dressed like Teddy-boy cowboys, with black-and-white cowboy shirts with white tassels from the top pockets and bootlace ties."

However, there is no clear date indication other than it was after George joined. In the surrounding text, Duff Lowe is mentioned as well as the band entering in skiffle competitions and that John was still at art college. So, we're still at 1958-59 in general. Still nothing to narrow that date down.

------

It has been suggested that the fourth fellow is the photo is one-time Quarry
Men member, the late Eric Griffiths and, indeed, he does look similar to Eric.
However, as is implied in Hunter Davies' The Quarrymen, he was ousted
from the group shortly after George joined if not almost immediately. And it
appears as though he severed contact as well.

I asked former Quarry Men member, Rod Davis, what info he might be able to provide. His reply was...

"Several people have already emailed me and asked me if I know who this is. I'm afraid I have no idea who it is. I'm sure it's not Eric, I knew him pretty well and this guy's ears are the wrong shape for Eric's for a start.

Regarding the cowboy shirts, you could be right, but it was after my time so I can't offer an authoritative opinion."

Recently, Mark Lewisohn informed me he has learned the fourth fellow in the photo is Arthur Kelly who, along with George's brother Pete, had been in George's previous band The Rebels in 1957. He is probably the same person
seen in the photo with George on this page.

More comments on Chazz Avery's site here: http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1950s/58.xx.xx%20unk/58.xx.xxunk.html

Ged

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 11:14:01 AM »

Thanks for that info and link Bobber, much appreciated.

DoBotherMe

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 07:39:42 PM »

Arthur Kelly, George's childhood friend, is the fellow in the black and white pic (Arthur along with George's brother Pete, had been in George's previous band The Rebels in 1957). John's halfsister, Julia, said that their mother bought those shirts at an outdoor market. Dana ; )

http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1950s/50s/g2.jpg George & Arthur
http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/ Link for lots of early Beatles pix and info.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 10:53:20 PM »

i will not rediscuss this photo.... :P

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 11:01:03 PM »

off tropic but here have a link......http://www.geocities.com/audiothief/beatles.html

raquelle

• One And One Is Two
  • Peace.Love.Revolution.
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 01:44:58 AM »

awww george looks so young!
<br />[size=14][size=9]Limitless undying love which[/size]<br />shines around me like a million suns [/size]

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 11:59:30 AM »

Quote from: 284
off tropic but here have a link......http://www.geocities.com/audiothief/beatles.html

That one backing Gene Vincent on What'd I Say is debatable!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 05:10:03 PM »

they did play on stage with him but to my knowledge noone ever recorded them together....so i do agree it is not them too...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 05:11:05 PM »

Quote from: 1653
awww george looks so young!
it's john not george.....with a fan present....

raquelle

• One And One Is Two
  • Peace.Love.Revolution.
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 04:16:02 AM »

i'm pretty sure that's george... third from the right.
<br />[size=14][size=9]Limitless undying love which[/size]<br />shines around me like a million suns [/size]

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »

sorry my old eyes mistook your signature photo for what was being talked about.....i owe you dinner...you are correct ma'am......4give....please? ;)

Bobber

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 07:29:21 PM »

Quote from: 1664
I have seen that photo and there is some debate on who the extra bloke is. In any event, there is an excellent site for pre Beatlemania pics called the BeatlesSource.com the Savage Young Beatles. It has very good photos with rare ones that some of you may never have seen. Including the one pictured in the original post. I'm sure there are lots of good signature and avatar possibilities as well. Enjoy!

http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/

If you had read the whole thread, you would have known that we already referred to Chazz Avery's (beatlesource) site.

thevoid

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 07:45:18 PM »

Quote from: 63

If you had read the whole thread, you would have known that we already referred to Chazz Avery's (beatlesource) site.

Umm...I did read the whole thread, but sorry I must have missed it. Sorry if I have upset you.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 80 queries.