Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Best Psychadelic song by Lennon  (Read 18160 times)

Lucy In The Sky

• Getting Better
  • All You Need Is Love
Re: Best Psychadelic song by Lennon
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2004, 10:17:37 AM »

I am the Walrus

Fan: Will You Sing Us A Song?
John, Paul, George and Ringo: NO!

Q: I Was Wondering If You Think American Girls Are Fickle?
Ringo: All Girls Are Fickle.[/c

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2004, 05:14:59 PM »

[quote by=Sadie4 link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1097094359,s=9 date=1097834942] I haven't voted for any beacuse I think "Tomorrow never knows" is more psychedelic than any of this![/quote]

Ah, In which case you should have a look at Frightwolf's other thread: " Okay, ACTUAL Best Psychadelic song by Lennon"

;D

Soft_Guitar60

• Getting Better
  • surrender to the void
    • Beatlemania
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2004, 05:23:11 PM »

I love Rain and Strawberry Fields, but I think I Am the Walrus is more psychedelic than any other song. Tomorrow Never Knows is missing something...

Lucy In The Sky

• Getting Better
  • All You Need Is Love
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2004, 05:07:37 AM »

I think I Am The Walrus is the most psychedelic song by far but Lucy In The Sky is a personal favourite. I voted for I Am The Walrus.

Fan: Will You Sing Us A Song?
John, Paul, George and Ringo: NO!

Q: I Was Wondering If You Think American Girls Are Fickle?
Ringo: All Girls Are Fickle.[/c

Sadie4

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2004, 02:12:38 PM »

Tomorrow never knows.
JOHN LENNON is my Sun King!

Blackbird

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2004, 03:01:52 AM »

Strawberry Fields Forever, and LSD, but johns voice in Lucy was way nasally

jeanie

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2004, 10:43:02 PM »

I voted for Strawberry fields, but I think Lucy in the sky..is the best!

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2004, 06:37:11 PM »

I dont really class 'I am the Walrus' as psychadelic in its true sense...
I just think Walrus is serious tongue in cheek, with the Psychadelic template worked ontop..
You cant say its not 'typical' Psychadelic.. but the meaning behind the song is somewhat different.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2004, 11:28:03 AM »

Tomorrow Never Knows :p \m/ it was his dead of book period..

GroovinUpSlowly

• A Beginning
  • Raise the spirit of peace and love
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2004, 10:34:49 PM »

Couldn't decide between Strawberry Fields Forever and Lucy in the Sky.... I chose Lucy in the Sky though
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
//o-o\\//- -\\ love is real, real is love
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.[/

Wayne L.

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2004, 12:58:24 PM »

Tomorrow Never Knows....John's psychedelic masterpiece above all others with I Am The Walrus a close second.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2004, 02:21:06 PM »

Rain 8)

---powered by Moondogs®---

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2004, 06:23:11 PM »

[quote by=Bruno link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1097180974,s=16 date=1100874066]Rain 8)[/quote]

Couldnt agree with you more Bruno.

Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2005, 02:24:13 AM »

I went with Rain, but I almost went for I'm Only Sleeping so that was a close one. Like many of you said, Tommorow Never Knows is the best but it aint on.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2005, 03:00:15 AM »

I Am the Walrus

Because the words take over, just like tripping takes over.  It's the most "out of control" or giving up control of all the songs listed.  From "Elementary penguin" to "see how they sny"--this thing is truly out there.  John was almost like a medium on this one.

I also think that "Across the Universe" is borderline psychedelic.  

It's a shame John never did more of these type of songs.  His writing became fairly conventional in the 70s (with the exception of things like #9 Dream and Mind Games, but neither of these are as unconventional lyrically as "I am the Walrus").  Maybe he was on different drugs.  Or no drugs.

Anyhow:

Goo goo ga joob!

That's your answer.  

The great thing is how important George Martin who didn't even smoke pot was in realizing this and other psychedelic visions in these songs.  

I wonder what GM would have done with Syd Barrett?

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2005, 03:11:58 AM »

Damn. 'I Am The Walrus' not psychedelic? There must be some good s**t floating around these days if what you're experiencing makes 'Walrus' not psychedelic. Yinks. Anyways, "Tomorrow Never Knows" is John's psychedelicatessen.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2005, 03:21:42 AM »

I Am Walrus is psychedelic? Okay, somebody needs to define psychedelic for me cuz that song is more a rocker than psychadelic. I think Lucy in the Sky is the most psychedelic of John's songs. George has more pyschedelic songs than them all. When I think of pyschedelic, I think of stuff like White Rabbit and The End. Lucy in the Sky has that same sort of flowy vibe.

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2005, 04:13:51 AM »

I'm stealing from Roy Carr and Tony Tyler's "The Beatles: An Illustrated Record", but they said that, at least in 1967, there was a distinction between psychedelia in the US and the UK. They considered the  "Penny Lane"/"Strawberry Fields" 45 to exemplify British psychedelia with backwards drum parts and trumpet obbligatos, fade outs/fade ins, jokes galore, gibberish, etc. Whereas psychedelia here was more blatant, like 'White Rabbit', etc. I think 'Walrus' is very trippy, especially if you consider when it was released, all the layers of voices, the fade out, I mean having this noisy crescendo with King Lear pasted over it is pretty out there. Its hard to take it at face value now because we've all heard it a million times, but 38 years ago, it was a different story.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2005, 05:42:25 AM »

I guess. I mean it does have that element to it. The ending especially. British psychedelia was more on the pop side then. I mean if they consider Penny Lane psychedelic. I guess I do think mostly of American bands when I think of psychedelic. Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, THE DOORS, Hendrix...one English band I think of though is Pink Floyd. Especially the Syd days.

Found this article on what you were talking about. Interesting. I never gave it a thought!

Michael Lynch: January, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Psychedelic Music Versus English Psychedelic Music

Classifying bits of recorded music into its proper category is not as easy as it seems. We all think we know, when we hear a record, how to classify it. Metal. Punk. Country. Yet do we ever take time to think about what the exact elements there are to a record that ensure their placement in a particular genre? What could possibly be that unknown ingredient that places both "Teenager In Love" and "Master Of Puppets" into the same pool known as Rock? What do we hear in the music of Megadeth that makes us mentally stamp it Metal, a term for music first used for bands like Grand Funk Railroad, who sound nothing like Megadeth? Why do we not classify Jimmy Dean's "Big Bad John" as rap?

And what about Psychedelic music? How do we describe that? The most common describe it is 'Drug influenced music.' But is that true? The Shaggs' music sounds drug-influenced but it's not really psychedelic, is it? Some Mothers of Invention music may strike the ears as psychedelic, and yet Uncle Frank and his gang were quite outspoken in their anti-drug stance.

Of course, music genres are often a product of the times. The counterculture of mid 1960's America helped take the music scene into a new territory, while the English hippies helped plot a route for their music as well. In both cases, the music was branded 'psychedelic.' But, as the difference between the two country's cultures is substantial, so was the difference between the type of music each country produced, despite being given the same tag. Surrealistic Pillow isn't quite the same music heard on Mr. Fantasy. You could count the similarities between "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night" and "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" on one hand...one of Mickey Mouse's hand, even.

Fortunately for us, though, this time the distinctions are extreme enough to pinpoint directly.

An American psychedelic band may draw inspiration from Timothy Leary. An English psychedelic band might instead look to Lewis Carroll.

An American psychedelic band would cry "Further!" An English psychedelic band would move backwards.

American psychedelic bands sang about demanding their voices to be heard, wanting to be treated like adults. English psychedelic bands sang about wanting to be children again.

An American psychedelic band was apt to write a song about the man who sold them drugs. An English psychedelic band was apt to write a song about the man who sold them groceries.

The American psychedelic bands had long, shaggy hair. The English psychedelic bands had long, neatly trimmed hair.

The American counterculture bought clothes from the thrift shop. The English counterculture bought from the boutique.

The American psychedelic bands countered pop music standards. The English psychedelic bands did this to a degree but usually kept one foot on commercially viable ground.

American psychedelic music's keyboard of choice was a Hammond or Vox organ. English psychedelic music's keyboard of choice was a Harpsichord.

American hippies drank Electric Kool Aid. English hippies drank Tea.

American hippies ate Hash brownies. English hippies ate English: Biscuits (normal ones).

America: Long, often boring, aimless and chaotic jamming, mostly weird guitar sounds (the guitarist is the icon of our country's psych movement), loosely centered around a main tune to start and end on...This is our musical depiction of space travel, and it is enhanced by the awesome light show going on above us as we play. We're The Grateful Dead.

England: Long, often boring, aimless and chaotic jamming, mostly weird guitar sounds (the guitarist is the icon of our country's psych movement), loosely centered around a main tune to start and end on...This is our musical depiction of space travel, and it is enhanced by the awesome light show going on above us as we play. We're Pink Floyd.

American psychedelic band train of thought: Let's take a trip to that inner world of our mind...and write a song about it.

English psychedelic band train of thought: Let's take a trip to the park...and write a song about it.

American psychedelic band train of thought: LBJ is a drag. English psychedelic band train of thought: Maybe Harold Wilson would like to join us?

American psychedelic band train of thought: Psychedelic music is a live performance experience. English: Psychedelic music is a studio thing.

American psychedelic band mentality: "On the bus" English psychedelic band finds song inspiration: On the morning train.

The American psychedelic bands wrote songs about the Little Men (the oppressed, the minority, the victims of establishment and anyone else who can't get their voice heard). The English psychedelic bands wrote songs about songs about the Little Men (trolls, gnomes, fairies, etc.)

The American psychedelic bands followed Indian mannerisms, as in Native-American. The English psychedelic bands followed Indian mannerisms, as in mannerisms from India.

All these differences and yet we still put it all in the same bottle. And still we haven't yet found an answer to the question of what is psychedelic music?

Perhaps George Harrison, or the person doing his voice in Yellow Submarine put it most accurately.

"It's all in the mind."

Lostio

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2005, 09:17:45 PM »

Tomorrow Never Knows not included? Why, I think it's one of the Beatles' best!

Besides Rain...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 90 queries.