Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Good Ol' Freda  (Read 20626 times)

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
Good Ol' Freda
« on: October 21, 2011, 03:47:21 PM »

I did a search and was amazed that Freda Kelly has never been discussed here. As Beatles fans we owe her a lot. She was the Official Fan Club Secretary for all of those years and was a trusted insider. She has kept a dignified silence for almost 50 years. She is now making a documentary, and is ready to tell her story. I for one am excited about this. I have no vested interest in promoting this film, I am just a bit of a Freda fan.

She is looking for help to get her film made, yeah that means money. I am going to send in a donation.

Watch the video on the website, and take a look, see what you think.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1215635909/good-ol-freda

And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Good Ol' Freda
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 09:48:04 PM »

She's on the buth!

I can stay till it's time to go

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »

I am surprised that this is not getting more attention.

If anyone had stories (that we could rely on) it would be Freda. She was Brian Epstein's secretary as well. She managed the fan club in Liverpool. She had a column in the "Beatles Monthly". This woman is a major store of knowledge. The fact she is willing to come out and tell her stories, it would be sad if this opportunity was passed by.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 04:59:21 PM »

I looked at the site following your link. I believe she's got an interesting story to tell. But I was wondering: why not a book? Why go for the expensive option?

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 05:05:33 PM »

I looked at the site following your link. I believe she's got an interesting story to tell. But I was wondering: why not a book? Why go for the expensive option?
Good question, but if this film gets made, we will find out.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 12:46:42 AM »

Yeah, why are we fitting the bill? A book comapny should be paying her for the story.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 01:10:48 AM »

I agree.  I think the DVD will include footage and pictures, most of which we've seen before.  It will just be her narrative which will be of interest and the length of the film would limit what I'm sure is a long story.  I'd rather read what she has to recount and glance at the usual picture pages.  Written well, such a book would be a bestseller.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 04:53:20 AM »

It would seem she couldn't get the financing. Film companies are sometimes a bit stingy and maybe she wanted to make the film her way. You know, when you let the film company finance, they have a lot of creative license.

I doubt anyone here will be donating $1500 but I just got an email that shows that there is some nice support:

Famed Beatle author Jude Southerland Kessler has donated SIGNED AND NUMBERED COPIES of her two amazing books about John Lennon titled 'Shoulda Been There' and 'Shivering Inside.'  And would you believe 'Shoulda Been There' is a very very valuable FIRST EDITION!  She's also included a signed and numbered poster of the 'Shivering Inside' cover....the very last copy left of this poster.   This is a great reward FOR ONE 'GOOD OL' FREDA' BACKER ONLY AND GOES TO THE FIRST PERSON WHO DONATES $1,500 IN THE NEXT 7 DAYS!   Don't miss out on this one-of-a-kind reward!  Please spread the word to your friends who may be interested.

_________

If you donate $25, that is just a little more than it would cost you to buy a DVD. I am for supporting "the little guy". I donated more than that myself.

KelMar

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 05:02:14 AM »

It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 06:36:56 AM »

It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

I would harbor a guess that not much will happen if she's reaching for outside donations. Usually companies take on projects that have appeal to the public. Something seems to be missing here in my opinion, but i'm a negative person so what the hell do I know?

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 07:17:23 AM »

Freda appears to be sincere. I made a little donation and wish her the best.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »

Cool Bobber, I am sure Freda thanks you.

Usually companies take on projects that have appeal to the public.

Yeah you are right. I don't think this is a project that would appeal to the general public, maybe that is a good thing. How many Beatles story movies have we seen? I think this would be something different, and maybe something that would appeal to the real fans. I think that is cool. Come on Todd, take a different approach.

I am excited about this, and I am trying to drum up (no pun intended) as much support as I can.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:33:44 PM by Gary910 »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 09:45:14 PM »

I did the same for Freda as I did for Paul.  I hope it works out for her.

She should still put out a book.  ;)

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 07:04:12 AM »

Examiner
October 24, 2011
Good Ol’ Freda pledge tally and news – ‘Freda People’ launch campaign for funds

October 24, 2011 – News update on Good Ol’ Freda: The planned documentary by Freda Kelly about the decade she spent working for the Beatles as the National Secretary of The Official Beatles Fan Club, has made significant headway in the news over the last week. (read about it here) Devoted fans are responding. $18,150 has been raised to date, (36% of their goal.) But as you see, despite these gains, the film is still a ways from the $50,000 goal that they need by 11-11-11.

http://www.examiner.com/john-lennon-in-national/good-ol-freda-pledge-tally-and-news-freda-people-launch-campaign-for-funds
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans. John Lennon

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 06:30:33 AM »

GOOD OL' FREDA - A Film Made For Beatles Fans....By Beatles Fans

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1215635909/good-ol-freda

GOOD OL' FREDA is a documentary film about the untold story of Freda Kelly, The Beatles' trusted secretary and friend throughout their rise to fame. The movie's title comes from the line The Beatles shouted out to her on their legendary 1963 Christmas record to their fans. The filmmakers are currently trying to raise the funds to finish the film on Kickstarter, a website where you can make a donation to a film and get a reward in return (signed DVDs, photos of Freda with the Beatles, even lunch or a personal tour of Liverpool w/ Freda!) They are trying to raise $50,000 by 11-11-11.

Kickstarter is an all-or-nothing website, so if they don't raise the full $50,000 they get nothing! Please check out http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1215635909/good-ol-freda to read more about it and consider backing this very worthwhile film. There's a great video you can watch of Freda explaining what the film will be about. It's been 50 years (!) since Freda began her work for the Fab Four and this movie will be the first time she's sharing her memories, so please help us make this Kickstarter campaign go viral and help the filmmakers get it completed and preserve Freda's stories forever!

Beatles fans can also help Freda and the filmmakers by sending an email to their mailing lists as well, and also to Facebook/Twitter friends encouraging them to donate quickly before this golden opportunity to preserve Freda's stories is lost. They can use the above title, kickstarter link, and blurb language to make it easy to forward. The key is to 'Make a Donation Now!' so the filmmakers make their goal by 11-11-11.

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 01:11:27 PM »

I dont understand why more video professionals haven't volunteered to help out and defray the cost or at least sign a contract for deferred payment. Most guys I know in the video field are Beatle fans and Freda appears as sincere as one could be and definitely has a great story to tell. How could she not?

"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »

I dont understand why more video professionals haven't volunteered to help out and defray the cost or at least sign a contract for deferred payment. Most guys I know in the video field are Beatle fans and Freda appears as sincere as one could be and definitely has a great story to tell. How could she not?

+1

Bobber

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:51 AM »

50.000 reached.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »

And still going, at this moment $53,000 has been raised. I am happy about this.

I look forward to seeing this... and my name in the credits.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 11:23:09 PM »

I'm happy to see that she not only reached, but surpassed her goal.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.618 seconds with 79 queries.