Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Dance Tonight" ..nice try, Paul.  (Read 5382 times)

"Dance Tonight" ..nice try, Paul.
« on: November 19, 2007, 07:59:31 PM »

I might get flack for this from the legions of Macca devotees (like that would stop me lol)...BUT...I think the song "Dance Tonight" is one of Paul's WEAKEST songs in ages (taking it's rightful place along "With A Little Luck" & "Silly Love Songs". Dont get me wrong, "Memory Almost Full" is fairly decent (as a full cd)  but this track is GOD AWEFUL...it's SOOOO simplistic. Sounds like Paulie threw it together in two minutes. I hate it. Boring after second hearing. (And "boring" is a word I usually NEVER apply to Macca)

( "Gratitude" & "You Tell Me" are decent tracks, though)

BlueMeanie

Re: "Dance Tonight" ..nice try, Paul.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 08:39:47 PM »

I think it's quite fun. Nothing special though. I prefer it to Ever Present Past.

Beatles

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:37:37 AM »

It was a nice song for me for about the first week, but then it grew increasingly annoying as I heard it more.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 04:52:13 PM »

It's just my opinion, but I think the last really great song he wrote was "Jenny Wren" on the previous album. I find that song complex and beautiful. Before that, I havent been that impressed w/ his output since the great "Mull of Kintyre". His first five solo albums are all top-notch,  IMO (yes, even "Wild Life")
For me, Paul's compositions were more inspired (and therefore better) when Linda was still alive and well and w/ him. These days, in my estimation, he seldom "hits one out of the ballpark" (like he did w/ "Jenny Wren"), but when he does, it's usually a great piece of art.

Needless to say, all his Beatle-era work is beyond reproach.

-MMM

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 05:34:56 PM »

it is for me the owrst track on the album by a long shot theres something really cheesy about it and i dont mean the usual good cheesy macca :) and i personally think ever present past is very fresh sounding

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 06:05:19 PM »

Quote from: 758
it is for me the owrst track on the album by a long shot theres something really cheesy about it and i dont mean the usual good cheesy macca :) and i personally think ever present past is very fresh sounding

I like your term "good cheesy macca"---(that could be a whole new thread !)(beatle era & solo years?)

my fave "good cheesy maccas" (at least the ones I can think of right now  lol) :

1)You're Mother Should Know
2) You Gave Me The Answer
3)Ob La Di, Ob la da
4)Rocky Racoon
5)Maxwell's Silver Hammer....etc., etc....

and...*drumroll*..the GREATEST "good cheesy macca" of ALL TIME: "When I'm 64"

-MMM

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 06:10:18 PM »

Well, it's indicative of what pot and domesticity did to Paul's prior inventiveness. He started trying to fit in with existing trends instead of setting new ones. I still think his most underrated album is Off the Ground. With the exceptions of maybe two songs, it's beautiful stuff.
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 06:13:16 PM »

I also like the term "good cheesy macca". It suits perfectly!

I lament that I have less tolerance for it than many others on this board. And me, a cheese lover! I find great enjoyment in "Your Mother Should Know" and "Ob La Di, Ob la da" (great aerobics song), but usually I just shriek and hit skip. Sort of what I expect Tkitna's reaction would be if he ever hears any Indian music. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 01:46:01 AM »

I agree, 'Dance Tonight' does suck, but i'm not sure how anybody can say 'Gratitude' is any good either.

dirtyoldsod

• A Beginning
  • Sue me sue you
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »

It's not his best work, but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate it.
<br /><br /><br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 10:16:14 PM »

Quote from: 911
I still think his most underrated album is Off the Ground. With the exceptions of maybe two songs, it's beautiful stuff.

i agree 100%, Off The Ground is a fantastic album, totally forgotten
by a lot of critics & people. C'mon People is a fantastic song! :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 01:28:41 AM »

Quote from: 614

i agree 100%, Off The Ground is a fantastic album, totally forgotten
by a lot of critics & people. C'mon People is a fantastic song! :)

I agree with you two. Off the Ground is really underrated. I guess that's because OTG was in the middle of two comeback albums, really special productions in McCartney's catalogue - Flowers in the Dirt and Flaming Pie.
Off the Ground follows nearly the same spirit as Flowers, so there was nothing really new there. That's because no one consider that album.

I love Off The Ground!  :)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 09:48:56 PM »

I like Dance Tonight when I hear it every once in a while, I just think it's a fun little song. Yeah, it's definitly not the best work he's done, but so what? I read in an interview with him about Memory Almost Full, and he said that he was just messing around with his piano with his daughter Beatrice, and he just came up with a little tune that she started dancing to. It just kept going, and so I guess it was just a little song put together with his daughter as an inspiration.
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 11:14:15 PM »

Quote from: 829
I might get flack for this from the legions of Macca devotees (like that would stop me lol)...BUT...I think the song "Dance Tonight" is one of Paul's WEAKEST songs in ages (taking it's rightful place along "With A Little Luck" & "Silly Love Songs". Dont get me wrong, "Memory Almost Full" is fairly decent (as a full cd)  but this track is GOD AWEFUL...it's SOOOO simplistic. Sounds like Paulie threw it together in two minutes. I hate it. Boring after second hearing. (And "boring" is a word I usually NEVER apply to Macca)

( "Gratitude" & "You Tell Me" are decent tracks, though)

Its just a fun little song that he put together. Its not like he wrote the song intending to be the next "The Long and Winding Road". Simplistic is what its suppose to be. Just because its not complex doesn't mean its 'GOD AWEFUL'.  You judge too harshly.

nothing_is_real

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 12:07:31 AM »

Not a bad little song, but nothing near his best work of course (same goes for MAF as an album). I will say that I HATE his new single, Ever Present Past. I have no idea what goes through his head when he picks such mediocre tracks for singles. I mean, If he knows Dance Tonight is not fantastic, as he has implied in interviews, why does he want to put it out as a single to be representative of his new album?
<br /><br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 03:14:22 PM »

Quote from: 793
he said that he was just messing around with his piano with his daughter Beatrice, and he just came up with a little tune that she started dancing to. It just kept going, and so I guess it was just a little song put together with his daughter as an inspiration.

i thought he was playing a mandolin at the time & he said his daughter started
dancing around.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 08:53:16 PM »

Maybe he's trying to find some new stuff that can work for him. Pop music instead of his what he's done before.

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 08:55:37 PM »

Quote from: 483
I think it's quite fun. Nothing special though. I prefer it to Ever Present Past.

for some reason I like Ever Present Past more, I guess because it's different, plus the guitar is nice. But I like Mr. Bellamy(sp), I dont' know why though.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 08:29:32 AM »

I was in the suppermarket yesterday and this song was playing , it's not a bad little song to push your trolly to ;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 12:06:06 PM »

Hear Macca's latest, on an elevator near you!
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 93 queries.