Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Beatles most important decision...  (Read 13528 times)

Bobber

Re: Beatles most important decision...
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »

I think it was their trousers.

LOL!

Me a big gun? I have to tell Mrs Bobber.

But seriously: this may sound strange, but somehow it was a good decision to quit the band in 1969-1970. Because of that, the legendary status of The Beatles has grown to enormous heights. Should they have carried on, I'm convinced that The Beatles should not have been regarded in the way as they're looked at now.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 10:52:54 PM »

But seriously: this may sound strange, but somehow it was a good decision to quit the band in 1969-1970. Because of that, the legendary status of The Beatles has grown to enormous heights. Should they have carried on, I'm convinced that The Beatles should not have been regarded in the way as they're looked at now.

I can see where you're coming from there.

For me, though, it's not that their legendary status grew bigger because they split up - they were already the biggest band on the planet anyway. They were fortunate enough that their break-up happened at a time so that they could quit while they were ahead.
Other bands such as The Stones saw their position in the rock hierarchy slip during the 70s because they stayed together but couldn't maintain the success they had in the 60s - there were new bands on the scene in the 70s to take over from them, such as Led Zeppelin etc.

But The Beatles split up while they were number one and they remained untouchable ever since.

Juppel50

• One And One Is Two
Beatles most important decision...
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 06:08:17 PM »

The best decision was to stop touring from 1966 on.

nimrod

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 02:05:16 AM »

I can see where you're coming from there.

For me, though, it's not that their legendary status grew bigger because they split up - they were already the biggest band on the planet anyway. They were fortunate enough that their break-up happened at a time so that they could quit while they were ahead.
Other bands such as The Stones saw their position in the rock hierarchy slip during the 70s because they stayed together but couldn't maintain the success they had in the 60s - there were new bands on the scene in the 70s to take over from them, such as Led Zeppelin etc.

But The Beatles split up while they were number one and they remained untouchable ever since.

I tend to disagree with you here Peter, for me record sales are a measure of any bands success and the Stones were mega successful in the 70's

All these albums were UK & US No 1's (Some Girls being theyre biggest selling album ever in the US).......critically also 'Exile' consistently named theyre greatest work.

Sticky Fingers (1971)
Exile on Main St. (1972)
Goats Head Soup (1973)
It's Only Rock 'n Roll (1974)
Black and Blue (1976)
Some Girls (1978)
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 40 queries.