Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beatles - Overrated ?..... HUH ?  (Read 6854 times)

nimrod

Beatles - Overrated ?..... HUH ?
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:06:02 PM »

It annoys the crap out of me when people say they were overrated, now dont get me wrong, if someone say 'I dont like em I think they suck' Im ok with that, thats just taste and normal  its just like me not liking Oasis or U2. (although in the case of Oasis its true)  ha2ha (sorry Oasis fan)
Its when they say they were overrated it pulls at my plonker  :P

I usually respond by saying something like.................................. 'so if they were overrated how come theres over 20,000 covers of their songs by some of the worlds top recording artists' ? how come theyve had thousands of books written about them ? How did they make it as Britains #1 band when the only previous northeners to make it big were comedians ?, how come they became Americas top band when no British band had ever made it there ? How come they are the only band to have sold over a Billion records ? How come they were credited by the top people in the industry with changing the face of recording techniques ? how come they are credited with being the first band to write their own songs and how come they were huge in nearly every European country plus Asia and the USSR, not to mention South America and Australasia ?

Its quite a mouthful if you  go the whole hog  ha2ha

I then end by saying 'if anything they were so good they were UNDERRATED' !!!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Beatles - Overrated ?..... HUH ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 11:19:54 PM »

Who's Oasis?

I know, I know nimrod...I'm a dinosaur.    ha2ha
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:21:58 PM »

I know a ton of people who tell me they are overrated and they might be right. I'll just leave it at that as I dont have a strong enough opinion on the matter to care all that much.

Maybe they are, maybe they arent. I see valid points on both sides.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:25:25 PM »

I know what that means!   ;D

I'm in total agreement, Kevin.
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:26:18 PM »

I know a ton of people who tell me they are overrated and they might be right. I'll just leave it at that as I dont have a strong enough opinion on the matter to care all that much.

Maybe they are, maybe they arent. I see valid points on both sides.

for me its like saying Mozart, or Beethoven was overrated...........no difference because Beatle music will still be listened to and revered in 1000 years

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 07:35:53 AM »

I'll go further. It virtually roasts my oyster.

>:(

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 08:31:11 PM »

I think the Beatles are overrated by those who think that they were the only musical revolutionaries in the 1960's (they were the most important ones but not the only ones), while they are underrated by those who don't acknowledge their huge importance in the development of rock music.

As John wrote to Paul in 1971: "Do you really think that most of today's art came because of the Beatles? I do not believe you're so crazy, Paul. You believe that? When you stop believing, you might wake up! We do not always said we were part of the movement and not the whole movement? Of course, we change the world. But try to move on. JUMP OVER THE GOLD DISC AND FLY!"
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:39:31 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:21:12 PM »

I would ask them, how do you define the term "Over-rated".

It really is impossible to define. Over-rated to whom? Why is the person the authority on how something should be rated?

Enough said.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:51:57 PM »

I would ask them, how do you define the term "Over-rated".

It really is impossible to define. Over-rated to whom? Why is the person the authority on how something should be rated?

Enough said.

Overrated = it's given more credit than deserved.

The authority on how something should be rated is always yourself. So "overrated" depends more on who rates than on who's rated. That's why it's still a subjective opinion.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:04:10 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

nimrod

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 11:55:35 PM »

Overrated = it's given more credit than deserved.

The authority on how something should be rated is always yourself. So "overrated" depends more on who rates than on who's rated. That's why it's still a subjective opinion.

I dont agree with the latter sentence, overrated can mean there is a general consensus amongst experts that something is overrated, ie some experts believe that the concept of the big bang is overrated.

I cant overrate it though as Im a layman

I mean some ignorant bugger who hates and knows nothing about baroque music can say that Bach is overrated and rubbish, his opinion is actually worthless in the end.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 01:25:09 AM »

I dont agree with the latter sentence, overrated can mean there is a general consensus amongst experts that something is overrated, ie some experts believe that the concept of the big bang is overrated.

I cant overrate it though as Im a layman

I mean some ignorant bugger who hates and knows nothing about baroque music can say that Bach is overrated and rubbish, his opinion is actually worthless in the end.

I understand your point, but what I meant to say is that the same thing can be overrated by some people and underrated by other people, so it depends on who rates.

Generally the Beatles are overrated by fans (including me), as every band is overrated by its own fans. I think that most people underrate Jefferson Airplane, but maybe I overrate them.

KelMar

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 03:29:53 AM »

I think it's just something some people enjoy saying.

nimrod

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 06:24:47 AM »

I think it's just something some people enjoy saying.

yes, and its overrated  ha2ha

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 04:54:38 PM »

This is getting scary Nimrod. For a long time I disagreed with a lot of what you said, now I am agreeing with most everything you say.

I agree that you have to have studied something scholarly to even begin to say it is overrated.

As the original topic was The Beatles being overrated, if someone says that, it is nothing more than an opinion backed by...nothing. There is substantial evidence that The Beatles are at least one of the greatest Rock N Roll bands ever.

I have no problem with someone saying, "I don't like the Beatles". Okay, there are many bands I don't like. Rush is such a band, and yet I would never call them "overrated". I am not an expert on Rush. I think Neil Peart is a very good drummer. Not among my list of favorites. He is considered, by some, as one of the best Rock N Roll drummers. If I was so egotistical to think my opinion was so great, I would say he is overrated. I don't think that is my place to say that. He is just not among my list of drummers, I like. I don't like Rush's music and don't want to hear them.

I think it is a lack of respect for others opinion to say something is overrated without the scholarly education and knowledge to do so. If you insist on saying something have the backing and evidence for what you say. Making a blanket statement without presenting your case is ignorance.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 05:08:44 PM »

Gary, don't feel fear to discuss about something such beautiful as music. If you are a music fan and know something about music, you can give your sincere opinion about any band, as respectable as other opinions. Anyway, I insist that the overrated and underrated thing goes nowhere because, as I said, it depends on who rates. For example, I could say that you overrate the Beatles while tkitna underrates them (don't worry both of you, this is just a figure, not reality).

nimrod

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 10:10:47 PM »

This is getting scary Nimrod. For a long time I disagreed with a lot of what you said, now I am agreeing with most everything you say.

ha2ha

nimrod

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 10:14:11 PM »

For example, I could say that you overrate the Beatles while tkitna underrates them (don't worry both of you, this is just a figure, not reality).

or you could say Todd underrates The Beatles but overrates Ram  ha2ha

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 08:20:48 PM »

I don't fear expressing my opinion. I just think that opinions need to be defined as such. (Look, another opinion.)

If you say, I don't like... Then it would be proper, to explain why you don't like such and such a song/album/lyric/instrumentation, etc.

"I don't like The Beatles" or "The Beatles Suck" or even "The Beatles are overrated"  statements like that left alone are meaningless.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 02:29:58 AM »

It annoys the crap out of me when people say they were overrated, now dont get me wrong, if someone say 'I dont like em I think they suck' Im ok with that, thats just taste and normal  its just like me not liking Oasis or U2. (although in the case of Oasis its true)  ha2ha (sorry Oasis fan)

I usually respond by saying something like.................................. 'so if they were overrated how come theres over 20,000 covers of their songs by some of the worlds top recording artists' ? how come theyve had thousands of books written about them ? How did they make it as Britains #1 band when the only previous northeners to make it big were comedians ?, how come they became Americas top band when no British band had ever made it there ? How come they are the only band to have sold over a Billion records ? How come they were credited by the top people in the industry with changing the face of recording techniques ? how come they are credited with being the first band to write their own songs and how come they were huge in nearly every European country plus Asia and the USSR, not to mention South America and Australasia ?

Its quite a mouthful if you  go the whole hog  ha2ha

I then end by saying 'if anything they were so good they were UNDERRATED' !!!

How's it going mate? This has been a very interesting thread! As much as I hate to say it, there are many people that I've known in my life that were anti-Beatles. However, as years went by, many of them are now DIE HARD BEATLES fans! I just think of it this way nimrod, if the people, that are anti-Beatles, don't love THE BEATLES now, eventually, they will come around and love them later. THE BEATLES' music speaks for itself. Take care mate.   

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »

I think it irks some people because the Beatles transcend music. The Rollings Stones, The Who, The Kinks, etc were music. The Beatles were a movement. They were innovation. Some people feel they have to minimal-ize that. It's human nature. "Oh, they weren't ALL that." Actually, yes they were :) One of the few to go the distance and win it all.
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.023 seconds with 85 queries.