Beatles forums > Books, Magazines, Articles

AI used to determine Beatles song authorship

(1/3) > >>

Normandie:
This is an older article (2019), and I hope I'm not reposting something that already has a thread. I did a few searches and didn't find anything.

Anyway—I found this article interesting: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/beatles-ai-lennon-mccartney-machine-learning-song-writing-a8991436.html

Hello Goodbye:

nimrod:
Interesting.
I can't agree with the last paragraph though.

"Insights from the study include that McCartney’s work “tended to use more non-standard musical motifs” in his songs, with higher song complexity a “distinguishing feature” of his songs."

Plenty of complexity in a lot of Lennon songs, differing time signatures (a common Lennon trait) and songs like "Ask Me Why" "All I Gotta Do" "Not A Second Time" all these songs contain many chords, key changes, tempo changes etc. As well as later complicated songs like "Happiness Is A warm Gun"
It irks me when people categorize John & Paul.

Normandie:

--- Quote from: nimrod on February 26, 2023, 11:45:12 PM ---Interesting.
I can't agree with the last paragraph though.

"Insights from the study include that McCartney’s work “tended to use more non-standard musical motifs” in his songs, with higher song complexity a “distinguishing feature” of his songs."

Plenty of complexity in a lot of Lennon songs, differing time signatures (a common Lennon trait) and songs like "Ask Me Why" "All I Gotta Do" "Not A Second Time" all these songs contain many chords, key changes, tempo changes etc. As well as later complicated songs like "Happiness Is A warm Gun"
It irks me when people categorize John & Paul.

--- End quote ---

I find your opinions, nimrod, and those of the other musicians on this forum (in essence, most of the regular posters), so interesting. For example, you all pick up on things that I cannot.

Moogmodule:
It would have been simpler if they had stuck with the original intent (according to Lewisohn) of putting the name first of whoever was the main writer of a song

My main question is how they trained the AI. They’d have needed to be 100% sure of what they fed in as characteristic of a Paul or John song or it’s going to be circular reasoning.

And yes John loved his odd time signatures. His solo stuff also had interesting chords and things in them. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version